Help Guide A Travelling Geek Around Europe

sentinel

I'm going to Europe in May and I need some direction.

Just going by myself, and I haven't quite decided where, exactly. (The UK and Italy are definitely on my list, but I'm open to other suggestions)

There's lots of advice about what normal/boring/artsy stuff I should see, but I'm a geek, dammit!

Any cities which are known for their tech? Any conferences/tradeshows worth going to? Any geeky sights which I *need* to see?

Thanks!

Poland is nice, and damn cheap (it cost me more to get to the airport than I spent on food for a week), and Amsterdam is worth a visit (not just for the pot and hookers, its a nice city in itself.). If your in London, the most geeky place is probally Tottenham Court Road. But all in all, I wouldn't seek out the tech, (its the same shit with a different currency symbol on the label), I'd spend some time exploring the old world for what it is.

Probably best to make it clear your Canadian and not American though. And never buy anything from street vendors if you can't pretend your a local.

...I wouldn't seek out the tech, (its the same shit with a different currency symbol on the label), I'd spend some time exploring the old world for what it is...

Well yeah, I'll mostly be doing that, but if I can work in something computery I would be even happier. I just thought that there may be something I could hit along the way.

If you're travelling, take it as an opportunity to avoid tech. There's a whole damn world out there to explore, and staring at an LCD isn't gonna let you see it how it's supposed to be seen.

At the most take a digital camera and plenty of memory for it, otherwise skip the tech. If I'd worried about computers and tech when I was in Canada I would've never seen what I saw the way I did. I even had the opportunity to use a couple of computers at one of the hotels, I didn't take it... I didn't need it.

Real life, culture and nature far surpass anything technical in every way... higher resolution, vibrant colour and culture, real interaction with the world and the people on it... don't fuck up a chance to explore with plastic and silicon!

If you wanted to eyeball some stunning tech, you probably should be going to asia.

Maybe you're looking for something like the Linux Beer Hike. Only problem is it's in April rather than may.

There are a few demoscene parties planned in may which might be fun to attend.

If you wanted to eyeball some stunning tech, you probably should be going to asia.

Maybe you're looking for something like the Linux Beer Hike. Only problem is it's in April rather than may.

There are a few demoscene parties planned in may which might be fun to attend.

Thanks for the actual answer, Cooper.

In response to everyone else: WTF!

I figured this group would understand more than many others. People are always talking about traveling just to go to Blackhat or E3 or CTIA or whatever. I figured that I'm traveling anyways - it would be cool if my trip happened to overlap something like that.

Or, aside from conferences, there's lots of other non-using/non-buying geeky things to see. Such as the LinuxCaffe, the Apple store in NYC, or Silicon Valley. (I'm sure there's others but that's what comes to mind.)

I don't plan on NEEDING to use a PC that much, but I would definitely enjoy experiencing something new that I otherwise wouldn't.

And I don't go on holidays myself because I found that all that crap bores me to tears.

So my idea of a good summer vacation is to be away for a week or so to attend a metal festival (or 4, by the looks of things). To each their own I suppose.

I understand what your saying is that your going to be doing that other stuff also so why not go say hi to Linus at University of Helsinki if your trip is going to go in that direction or for that matter look into checking out some of the other tech schools. I always wanted to see some of these schools that I talk to ppl from. :)

why not go say hi to Linus at University of Helsinki

Well, it may have something to do with him currently living in Portland, Oregon (USA).

why not go say hi to Linus at University of Helsinki

Well, it may have something to do with him currently living in Portland, Oregon (USA).

I'm aware he isn't living there anymore my point was a ref to what is geeky about the location. I didn't know he was in Portland and I really doubt if he was at Helsinki you could just walk in off the street and say Hi :) lol