My little adventure

SonicvanaJr

OK so the story starts out like this about five months ago I saw this article.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-...d-dish-antenna/

Turning a old direct TV dish into a >40dBi antenna for wifi. Quite amazing if I do say so myself. I was of course intrigued instantly. So I started looking around ebay, and other sites. All were quite expensive. I then went to freecycle(very good for getting old stuff that no one wants), and signed up for my area newsletter. No luck there either. So one day my friend says to me, "Hey my neighbor just offered me his old sat dish you want it. Of course I responded yes. So a couple weeks pass, and the lazy kid never gets it down from his roof. I start getting angry. Well yesterday was the end of my anger.

I'm on Spring Break so I go over to my friends house at about 11am, and help him paint for a couple hours, I suggest we take a break and try to get my sat dish down off his neighbors house. The kid had moved, and no one was living there so we figure why the heck not. So we get a ladder, and all the tools we will need, and head up onto the kids roof. 3 hours is how long it took to unscrew, and unmount the dang thing, but luckily we got it, and it's currently sitting by me in my room.

All I have to do now is order the coaxial cable for it, and build the biquad element. Which I'm about to run to the hardware store to get supplies for.

.. PICTUREIZE !

10009749dv.jpg

/me starts pointing out the obviuse

You know thats only for receiving signals right? You will need another on on the other computer/access point to be able to notice any improivment, and for the best chance you should equipe the computers/accpoint with a directional antena.

http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

While i was working for BT Broadband we used the wifi-wok method to help out with dodgey singles. Yup, it sounds dumb, no one belived me, but it actually worked. Got a family online with there wifi by getting the daughter to hold a wok behind the USB wireless dongle and point it at the router (big house, listed building, 2' thick stone walls, router on far side of house due to dumb phone enginer).

I’ve used this type of equipment before and it works well, I don’t know how well the home made version will work.

MAXRAD XtremeWave Parabolic Dish Antennas

http://www.blackbox.com/Catalog/Detail.asp...44&mid=4692

If I really want to send data a long distance (point to point) I tend to go with lazars as you can get 1 to 2Gbps and it’s much more secure.

This will give you 1Gbps but you can get faster ones.

http://www.blackbox.com/Catalog/Detail.asp...98&mid=4710

It would be difficult to make one your self but not impossible.

I was planning to do the same thing this summer with my old DSS dish that's still on the back of my house. After wardriving around my neighborhood I know all the homes without encryption and even the ones with default (admin:admin) logins. If this works, summer will be fun.

I was planning to do the same thing this summer with my old DSS dish that's still on the back of my house. After wardriving around my neighborhood I know all the homes without encryption and even the ones with default (admin:admin) logins. If this works, summer will be fun.

you must have nothing better to do all summer :S

You know, i have a full sized old analoge dish atached to my house, it's compleatly unused, we stopped subscribing to sky ages ago. If I had any wireless equipment at all i might be tempted to take it down and use it for some thing.

you must have nothing better to do all summer :S

Oh I do: I work a lot but I always have a few projects lined up every summer to keep me from going insane. This year I’m building/doing:

1. A collapsible beer-pong table with Firefox for the theme

2. Terabyte server for my apartment next semester (for my music, dvds, etc)

3. mod the old satellite dish into a wardriving tool

4. Mess with my xbox (linux, xbms, something)

5. and possibly build my own tivo or just buy one, who knows.

The only reason why I know of all homes that have unencrypted APs or their user names and passwords in my neighborhood is because a friend of mine wanted to learn how to hack wireless APs. So, I took him wardriving around one night and showed him the ropes.