How Can You Make A Custom Zipping App?

hsncorrosion

This still seems like a waste of time, no-one wants another file extention, especially when it contains exactly the same file format as another extention...

Well it is a waste of time, but it doesn't do any harm and if he learns a bit about hex editors and such in the process it's somewhat helpful.

This still seems like a waste of time, no-one wants another file extention, especially when it contains exactly the same file format as another extention...

Well it is a waste of time, but it doesn't do any harm and if he learns a bit about hex editors and such in the process it's somewhat helpful.

Indeed, that a positive side, but it would be a terrible idea to go through all this to release files to almost no-one, especially if you were a business and/or your end users know nothing about compression formats...

I'm not going to do it for you, that's just pointless. I can't be bothered to record a video either. I don't know what you mean when you say you can't find the hex, you've managed to open 7zG.exe in Hex Workshop right? Press Ctrl+G.

72708747fw0.png

97076872bb2.png

83997547px6.png

You do exactly the same thing to the zip.dll file, but in two places with the other 2 addresses I mentioned (0000E638 and 0000E640). The first one is the name so should be the same as what you replaced Zip with in 7zG.exe and the second is the extension so that should probably be all lowercase.

You do exactly the same thing to the zip.dll file, but in two places with the other 2 addresses I mentioned (0000E638 and 0000E640). The first one is the name so should be the same as what you replaced Zip with in 7zG.exe and the second is the extension so that should probably be all lowercase.

What version of 7-zip do you have?

When I goto I just get an error sound! (ding)

Sorry for double post.

One last question.

How can I make it so that the app will only use the .hsn extension and not have an option for the zip, 7z, tar, etc.

Or if it would be easier how can I be sure .hsn will be on the top of the list of extension and not the .7z extension?

So, now on to the rant of why forking Open Source apps are bad.

So now, are you going to make another version of the software everytime there is a new version of 7zip? If you don't you could be opening up computers to viruses, spyware, or hacking, because they are not running the latest version of 7zip. But its your name, your reputation, and your email inbox that gets flooded with angry messages.

So, now on to the rant of why forking Open Source apps are bad.

So now, are you going to make another version of the software everytime there is a new version of 7zip? If you don't you could be opening up computers to viruses, spyware, or hacking, because they are not running the latest version of 7zip. But its your name, your reputation, and your email inbox that gets flooded with angry messages.

Yeah, cause I can really see millions of people switching over to a hacked version of 7-Zip which has no difference other than .zip is now .hsn. Also I wouldn't say forking of OSS projects is categorically bad, only if it's done for the wrong reasons (as it would be in this case if were actually a fork and not just a hacked binary that no one will use). Do you think it would be better if OpenBSD were still part of the NetBSD project? I don't think so, they had a reason for forking and that was to persue a different direction of development.

Yeah, cause I can really see millions of people switching over to a hacked version of 7-Zip which has no difference other than .zip is now .hsn. Also I wouldn't say forking of OSS projects is categorically bad, only if it's done for the wrong reasons (as it would be in this case if were actually a fork and not just a hacked binary that no one will use). Do you think it would be better if OpenBSD were still part of the NetBSD project? I don't think so, they had a reason for forking and that was to persue a different direction of development.

Well, in certain circumstances its good, in this circumstance, it isn't. I have a feeling were agreeing here. It isn't a real fork but has all the down sides of one. I think hsncorrosion should save himself some time and just name the darn things .zip or .hsn.zip or .hsn.r0xz0rz.zip under a default windows setup people wouldn't know (or care).

filename.hsn.zip would be a nice compromise. You could also just make a branded self extracting executable. Both of these would require less effort, comply to pre-existing standards, yet allow you to promote your HSN brand.