Better than Pandora?

MaxRabbit

I found this site called Slacker. It is basically Pandora, but it cycles through all popular songs. It is great!

Also, the makers are supposedly bigwigs like the maker of the "Rio" MP3 players, and some guy that had something to do with rhapsody...

I just thought I would let you know, and get your opinions!

• 3 months later...

Site doesn't seem to load for me, but I am sure there are ways to Timeshift.

I wouldn't go as far as saying its better than pandora, but I will say it does play only the popular stuff. I just started to pull the page apart and reduced the size of the player down to its main unit (http://www.slacker.com/webplayer/index_embed.vm) If I load visual studio on this terminal ill probably quickly write up a mini browser but I cant make anything like OpenPandora or Pandora's Jar.

Doesn't seem to load in Opera, but I got it working in IE6. One thing about it is its like most other music sampling sites. It uses mp3s streamed through a flash player. All the content of the mp3s acan be ripped using Wireshark and filtering out "audio/mpeg" files seperately and then saving each (in raw format) as an mp3. The url trick probably works, but I block so many things I couldn't get it to work from my pc, but if you can spoof your browsers agent as "User-Agent: NSPlayer/10.0.0.4357 WMFSDK/10.0" with site referring enabled  to "content.slacker.com" then you should be able to just filter the mp3 urls and then plug them into your browser and download the file that way.

I have yet to find a site that uses the mpeg streaming through a flash player that couldn't be ripped using this method. Even sites that embed it in a SWF file can be saved as a swf file and then decompiled into the audio file using something like SoThink SWF Decompiler.

I am not good with scripting or programming packet sniffing utilities, but if you can make a program to just filter out saved wireshark logs into the mp3s, then you can just capture your music to a pcap file with wireshark and parse out the mp3s later when done listening to the songs. I do it manually with Wireshark, but if you can make a utility to do it for you, then just use the Winpcap library and have an all in one packet sniffer/parser for mp3 streams, your golden. All you would need is to have it running when visiting ANY site that uses the mpeg through flash method of streaming it to the user.

good site but i  like pandora more.  the other site  has a strong  car radio feel where  it is always  some top 40 thing

for over the air radio, why do they call it top 40  when you  will only like 1 of those 40 songs?

I don't think people are interested to figure this one out from scratch.

So basically make it happen (to some extent) yourself, or stop bumping this.

I'll admit that I guess you are right. But I just listened to it again (I hadn't listened to it since I made this post), and I love it so damn much; great songs I would love to have for the gym.

So, I'll give up bugging other people to timeshift it, since no one seems at all interested; but please refer me to some guide as to how I might even get started making a program to timeshift it; because I have no clue about any of it.

Thanks for putting up with my buggering this long!

I'll admit that I guess you are right. But I just listened to it again (I hadn't listened to it since I made this post), and I love it so damn much; great songs I would love to have for the gym.

So, I'll give up bugging other people to timeshift it, since no one seems at all interested; but please refer me to some guide as to how I might even get started making a program to timeshift it; because I have no clue about any of it.

Thanks for putting up with my buggering this long!

Max I also am interested in this project, so don't feel alone here. If I come across anything that seems like it could help ya, ill PM it straight to ya. Good luck!