Windows XP On Kingston U3 ?

Mixpower

Hey,

I have a question i know it is possible to get XP on a USB Device.

But i have A Kingston U3 Does anyone knows how to get XP on it because its easier to boot, so does someone has a guide or knows how to do this ?

Thanks.

I've never tried it before. But, when I install XP on my computer with a USB drive plugged, in it shows up in the installer page that lets you make partitions and format. So I'd imagine that you'd have to just install to the drive and then when the computer boots pick to boot from USB device.

Unless it was a hacked version of XP you'd have to reactivate it every time you plugged it into another computer.

You could try making an image of a regular drive that has XP on it and applying it to the thumbdrive, but I don't know if that would work.

It doesn't seem like a good idea to put it on a thumbdrive though. With all of the disk activity XP does, the thumbdrive would live a very short life.

I appreciate that USB thumbdrives don't respond well to repeated read/write cycles, but what about Vista ReadyBoost? A USB thumbdrive is used as accessory RAM so, surely, there are repeated read/write operations? I don't know if a special USB thumbdrive must be used in the ReadyBoost context.

I might be being a bit noobish, but doesnt flash based storage genrally more reliable and last longer due to there solid statienussss ( <-- made up work lol)
Well flash based storage doesn't do well if you write it many many times.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think readyboost works something like this:

As Ram is expensive, it is not always possible for someone to just go and get more ram, so Microsoft wanted a way to save people money, as they don't sell ram so they don't care.

It works a bit like Linux swap, except Flash memory is more responsive and you can read and write from it quicker than you can a Hard drive. This means that you get more space that is used as ram, and it is more like ram in speed terms. However, some of this speed may be taken away, as all readyboost information has to be encrypted...

About the limited number of read/write cycles:

If you subjected HDs to the same stress, the HDs would suffer the most damage/break first (probably)

i dont know, ive had sseveral cheap harddrvies that die in under a year, and had some more expensive ones still lasting (7+ yrs)

ive never tried killing a flash based storage drive, but i suspect that the quality will have less efeect on the lifespan. i suspect this becausehard drives have more things that can go wrong, so i think that a cheap hard drive may not last as long as a cheap flash storage device.

but if flash based storage has lifespan problems, then what immediately comes into mind is why dont they incorporate RAID 6 into them. that way you divvide into, say 4 sections, and up to two sections can fail before the data is at risk, thus the drive can detect when one fails and send out a warning that drive will die shortly, and when 2 fail it will tell user to replace. sounds like it would be somewhat easy to do, even if it reduces storage cap.

anyways in essence..... flash drives, as i have heard, dont last as long under repeated stress. so perhaps vista has figured a way around that.....

sounds like a job for BATMAN.

Hey,

I have a question i know it is possible to get XP on a USB Device.

But i have A Kingston U3 Does anyone knows how to get XP on it because its easier to boot, so does someone has a guide or knows how to do this ?

Thanks.

It would have to be a custom hack because windows will want to put the boot loader on the "c:" drive even when installing to another partition. Had this problem when I installed xp on my d drive and then my c drive went, the boot loader by default wants the c drive on install.

A bart pe version could probably be migrated to a usb stick though and run as a live cd or whatever. I woudl gather a large U3 drive would handle it just fine. Maybe even use something like DD?? that wes/darren? used in ep 2x10 to migrate it over. (was it the apple segment that used dd or the virtual server segment? Need show notes...)