Most Ironic Statement You've Ever Heard

Mr_Mischif

The title is self-explanitory, I'll start:

This guy found a black panther on the side of the road in alabama, and he stopped to see what it is, since he didn't know it was a panther at first.

One guy said:

My next question if you saw a big ass 6 foot cat on the side of the road, why the hell would you get out to take pics of it? Theres a chance it might not be dead!

And my candidate replied with:

my sisters husband is a firefigther and the cops told him that the wildlife officer weighed it at 203

i always pack

i got out threw a rock at it and pointed my gun at it i'm not that stupid

Please add your own.

Why is that ironic?

Because he threw a rock at a panther he didn't know was dead; it it wasn't I bet the panther woulda been on him before he could get a shot off.

That's not ironic. Ironic doesn't mean stupid.

Why is that ironic?

Because he threw a rock at a panther he didn't know was dead; it it wasn't I bet the panther woulda been on him before he could get a shot off.

Well, irony is the difference between expectation and result, or at least cosmic irony is. Nobody would EXPECT someone to throw a rock at a panther they don't know is dead, hence that's where the irony comes in.

Well, irony is the difference between expectation and result, or at least cosmic irony is. Nobody would EXPECT someone to throw a rock at a panther they don't know is dead, hence that's where the irony comes in.

A man throwing a rock at a possibly alive panther is not cosmic irony. To be cosmic irony it has to be as though the gods are playing with us to give us hope or belief in something and then something happening contrary to that (hence the cosmic part). If he had thrown the rock at the panther to confirm it was dead, carefully walked up to the panther and once he believed he was safe was pounced on by another panther behind him it might be cosmic irony. In this case there is nothing that leads us to believe be wouldn't have thrown a rock at a panther, and in this case throwing the rock is hardly a result or outcome anyway.

hmm, if i thought somethink was dead, i would through a rock at it.

You'd also spell threw as "through" and something as "somethink"

I'm guessing that English is not your native tongue.

You'd also spell throw as threw.

I'm guessing that English is your native tongue, but you're just a grammar/spelling Nazi

hmm, if i thought somethink was dead, i would through a rock at it.

You'd also spell threw as "through" and something as "somethink"

I'm guessing that English is not your native tongue.

lol no Japanese is. and thanks SomeoneElse

This thread has a Alanis Morissette complex.

def: Irony

1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!†when I said I had to work all weekend.

"Usage Note: The words ironic, irony, and ironically are sometimes used of events and circumstances that might better be described as simply "coincidental" or "improbable," in that they suggest no particular lessons about human vanity or folly. Thus 78 percent of the Usage Panel rejects the use of ironically in the sentence In 1969 Susie moved from Ithaca to California where she met her husband-to-be, who, ironically, also came from upstate New York. Some Panelists noted that this particular usage might be acceptable if Susie had in fact moved to California in order to find a husband, in which case the story could be taken as exemplifying the folly of supposing that we can know what fate has in store for us. By contrast, 73 percent accepted the sentence Ironically, even as the government was fulminating against American policy, American jeans and videocassettes were the hottest items in the stalls of the market, where the incongruity can be seen as an example of human inconsistency."

Isn't it ironic....don't you think :)

It's one of the most misused, words that's for certain. Another one that I don't really understand is people using 'literally' right before using a metaphor.

Yeah, blatant. It's like that, right? Innit. Yo, you knows it. I is joking, right? 'Cos that's so ironic.

</pisstake>

This thread has a Princess Bride complex -

Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

yeah, ive heard ppl use it b4, such as "yeah, he like literally jumped outta a 50" tree"

A 50 INCH Tree! Yikes that's tall!

Literally would be if you said "she literally fell from heaven" or "my money literally walked away on me". Because falling from a tree could happen, it's not a metaphor or figurative.