Windows network backup software?

Darren Kitchen

I'm looking for recommendations on network backup software for windows. The main requirement is the ability to schedule an incremental backup to a NAS on the LAN. Normally I'd just throw it together using batch scripts but this is for user's notebooks at work, not servers, so duct-tape and string won't really work.

I've looked into using the ntbackup program that comes with windows, and the microsoft sync toy, but neither really are going to work well.

I'm wondering what everyone uses in this situation. Cost doesn't matter though you know I'm a fan of FOSS.

i found this to work well with backing up on a NAS with windows,

its not expensive, only $29.99 and ive never had any problems with it

Hope it helps

http://www.secondcopy.com/

Second Copy® is the perfect backup product designed for Windows 9x/Me/NT4/2000/XP/2003 you have been looking for. It makes a backup of your data files to another directory, disk or computer across the network. It then monitors the source files and keeps the backup updated with new or changed files. It runs in the background with no user interaction. So, once it is set up you always have a backup of your data somewhere else.

I'm looking for recommendations on network backup software for windows. The main requirement is the ability to schedule an incremental backup to a NAS on the LAN. Normally I'd just throw it together using batch scripts but this is for user's notebooks at work, not servers, so duct-tape and string won't really work.

I've looked into using the ntbackup program that comes with windows, and the microsoft sync toy, but neither really are going to work well.

I'm wondering what everyone uses in this situation. Cost doesn't matter though you know I'm a fan of FOSS.

just wondering why wont the snyc toy work?

Thanks, I had seen second copy before and thought it looked ok but after further investigation it seems that it can run as a service without desktop interaction which is perfect for my flock of users. The pricing isnt bad, you get a significant price cut when buying in volume. I'll run the eval on the unslug and see how it goes. Any further recommendations are always appreciated. I'll have to write up an option sheet for the boss so usually I like to include two additional (sometimes sucky) choices along side what I think we should get. :)

The joys of IT.

U can use Acronis... its the best damned back up program ever! It's saved my ass on many accounts (pardon language)... It can create images of ur drive that u can use a boot disk later to restore. www.acronis.com