Automated wireless sniffing/snooping tools under linux

For my little portable security device (PDA) I'm looking for people who have either strung together a set of tools, written their own scripts/tools, or know of tools that automate wireless auditing of all sorts and sizes (and hat-colors). Basically I'd like the PDA to go into "snooping mode" and gather as much info as it can from the airwaves around it.

Or maybe if you're looking for a project, we could work together and hack something up to be put in the wiki?

maybe its just me, but I am really not to much of a fan for people who come here simply asking others to do work for them... maybe your post should have gone something more like:

Im trying to do this, can anyone point me in the right direction, or has anyone done this before?

maybe its just me, but I am really not to much of a fan for people who come here simply asking others to do work for them... maybe your post should have gone something more like:

Im trying to do this, can anyone point me in the right direction, or has anyone done this before?

I'm not much of a fan of people misinterpreting a question and then posting condescending replies of how they would've liked to have a question asked.

I'm asking for what's already out there, and if people are interested in teaming up to start a project for this. I'm not asking you to liek hax0r my girlfriends Hotmail password, liek OMG!!!11

There are a few posts about this subject already. I don’t think they went too heavily into automation but if you code it’s not rocket science.

Depending on what OS you’re running on your PDA will reflect how much work you will have to put in. If you’re running Linux than it’s easy but if you’re running Windows, you will have a lot of work ahead of you.

There are a few posts about this subject already. I don’t think they went too heavily into automation but if you code it’s not rocket science.

Depending on what OS you’re running on your PDA will reflect how much work you will have to put in. If you’re running Linux than it’s easy but if you’re running Windows, you will have a lot of work ahead of you.

Yeah, some of those are by me ;) I have been busy with another project that has been wrapped up, and I'm now diving back into this one.

The environement is running on is Linux, OpenZaurus (a Debian based embedded distribution) to be more specific. But, not in the least place for portablility, I'm trying to approach this under the same angle as the USB projects on Hak5 have been done, with user input and collaboration with peers. I'm not out to prove I'm überleet, I'm not asking people to prove their überleet, I'm just looking for people to work on a hobby project, and see how far we can get.

I'll be setting up a home base with a write-up of how far I got myself, would be cool if you're interested in joining.

I'm working on a similar project and thus support the thread. I'm putting together a wifi sniffing rogue access point using a nano-itx board, linux, a pci-m 802.11g radio, and an evdo modem. I'm also toying with the possibility of using a WRT54G instead.

That’s easy to do with a nano-itx and *NIX, although its much harder to get the same level of functionality and performance from a WRT54G.

Yes but the WRT54G is more cost effective. The nano-itx solution I've spec'd out is about $250-300.

That's a project I can't wait to hear more about! My goal is to stay under €100 (about $120), and to use devices that are already "complete" (PDA's like the Zaurus SL-5500, toys like the Zipit Wireless or handheld gaming devices like the Nintendo DS). Since this involves only little hardware hacks, I'm focussing on software mostly.

This is pretty much a learning project for me, and probably some of the things I "discover" will be old news to you. Nevertheless, I hope to have a draft of my experiences ready to post somewhere this week, for who's interested!

ive got a PDA toy, that will active scan for AP's then when found, it will mark its GPS location, if it is encrypted or not, and if possible, it will run a dictonary attack on the AP. is this any help to u?

Dude, Deveant I want that. I just found a PDA and I'm willing to salvage it for similiar purposes. Only problem is it boots on Windows and I need to convert to Linux. It would probably be an easy fix, just haven't looked up up really. It's pretty old too (2002) so I don't know if something that... whatever will be able to operate on it. Is there a site or anything with that?