Version 2.1.3 malfunctioning?

Kevin M

Hi, I am a new owner of the Pineapple Mark VII (got it this week) and set it up successfully. What I noticed were AP issues. The first two days I used it with the USB cable connected. Here everything worked fine. Then I switched to WiFi Management Access Point, which worked great for only one day^^

Yesterday I was not able to connect to the Management AP and neither the Open AP. I tried various options like enabling and disabling, hiding and unhiding. What I noticed was, if it was not hidden, it was shown without any password and everyone was able to connect. Ah and PineAP, broadcasting Wifis from SSID Pool is disabled too. So this is also not causing the issue.  

So obviously the hiding feature is or was not working. So my solution was, accessing the Pineapple via SSH and editing the wireless file in the config folder. This at least helped and now its running completely as it should. I turned on the Management Access Point, set it to hidden and added the password there. I also disabled the Open AP in the config file, which is working too. I don't know why this option is not available in the WUI, as I still can run Evil WPA and it is broadcasting. 

Anyway I just wanted to know if someone also experienced issues like that when using the WUI or is there just an issue at mine? I did already a factory reset, so I don't think that there was a software update issue. Maybe there is a problem in the python code or how ever the Web Interface is coded.

No really sure what your actual issue is.

18 minutes ago, Kevin M said:

What I noticed was, if it was not hidden, it was shown without any password and everyone was able to connect.

What AP? The open AP or the management AP?

19 minutes ago, Kevin M said:

So obviously the hiding feature is or was not working.

Can't see how this is obvious from your description. Also remember, if you are hiding the AP and you try to look for it with a device that has previously seen the AP, it will show on the device even if it's set to hidden in the web UI.

20 minutes ago, Kevin M said:

So my solution was, accessing the Pineapple via SSH and editing the wireless file in the config folder. This at least helped and now its running completely as it should.

What did you change? What's your definition of that the Pineapple is running completely as it should?

24 minutes ago, dark_pyrro said:

No really sure what your actual issue is.

47 minutes ago, Kevin M said:

What I noticed was, if it was not hidden, it was shown without any password and everyone was able to connect.

What AP? The open AP or the management AP?

I had problems connecting to the Pineapple via the Management AP. Even though it was turned on I was not able to connect and when I turned off the hide function, it showed the Management AP without password and I was able to connect. 

24 minutes ago, dark_pyrro said:

Can't see how this is obvious from your description. Also remember, if you are hiding the AP and you try to look for it with a device that has previously seen the AP, it will show on the device even if it's set to hidden in the web UI.

I know that hidden APs are shown on my device when I connected once to them. That’s why I used a different Smartphone and another MacBook. 

25 minutes ago, dark_pyrro said:

What did you change? What's your definition of that the Pineapple is running completely as it should?

I made those changes manually in the wireless file in the config folder, connected via SSH. I changed the following directly in the file: 

config wifi-iface

option device 'radio' option network "lan' option mode 'ap' option ifname 'wlan0-1' option macaddr 02:13:37:a9: d0:b7' option encryption 'psk2+ccmp' option ssid 'WiFi Pineapple' option key 'ThatsMyPwdWhichIdontShowU' option disabled "0' option hidden "1'

Now I am always able to connect via WiFi to the Management Access Point which didn’t work before. So this seems to me „working as it should“. 

It is also not showing the Open AP anymore, which didn’t work before. I set it up as hidden but it still appeared at any device even when I was never connected. 

59 minutes ago, Kevin M said:

I had problems connecting to the Pineapple via the Management AP. Even though it was turned on I was not able to connect and when I turned off the hide function, it showed the Management AP without password and I was able to connect. 

I know that hidden APs are shown on my device when I connected once to them. That’s why I used a different Smartphone and another MacBook. 

I made those changes manually in the wireless file in the config folder, connected via SSH. I changed the following directly in the file: 

config wifi-iface

option device 'radio' option network "lan' option mode 'ap' option ifname 'wlan0-1' option macaddr 02:13:37:a9: d0:b7' option encryption 'psk2+ccmp' option ssid 'WiFi Pineapple' option key 'ThatsMyPwdWhichIdontShowU' option disabled "0' option hidden "1'

Now I am always able to connect via WiFi to the Management Access Point which didn’t work before. So this seems to me „working as it should“. 

It is also not showing the Open AP anymore, which didn’t work before. I set it up as hidden but it still appeared at any device even when I was never connected. 

What device were you using to connect and did you have the WiFi settings set to hidden? Never had any issue like that myself 

11 minutes ago, DramaKing said:

What device were you using to connect and did you have the WiFi settings set to hidden? Never had any issue like that myself

I was using my MacBook with MacOS X, then tried it with my Mac and bootet Kali Linux and also on my iPhone. 

I found so far only one post here were a user also had issues connecting to the Management AP but his problem was a little different. 

58758-connection-issue

Archived