Having Problems installing Windows in my new desktop

SystemCrash86

Hi, I hope this is the right place to say this.

I got a new desktop a few months ago and i am very pleased with it and all the hardware works but i do have a question

I am having a very strange issue that despite by best efforts i am unable to solve.

I am having trouble installing Windows 10 or 11 onto my fairly new desktop pc.

The computer has 3x 256GB PCS 2.5" SSD's
I use Linux as my primary operating system so that is loaded on one ssd and boots first.

I have been trying to install Windows on the other ssd but no success - every time i come close to installing it has an error that comes up.

The closest i have come to finishing the installation is when the Windows setup says "Finishing up" then i get the error which is usually "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the phase of the installation"

All the drives are good with no errors and formatted correctly and the windows media tool downloaded without any issues.

I have disconnected all my non essential usb's and in my BIOS i have allowed "Windows UEFI" only to boot, it was the only setting under "Secure Boot" which says i need to disable but there is no specific option for that.
It just says two things:
1) Windows UEFI
2) Other OS

I am trying to install windows so i chose option 1

Really not sure what the problem is. The computer runs perfectly with no issues at all but will not allow me to install Windows

Hope somebody can help

My computer specs are:

Case = PCS P209 ARGB MID TOWER CASE

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i9 10 Core Processor i9-10900X (3.7GHz) 19.25MB Cache

Motherboard ASUS® ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II: ATX, USB 3.2, SATA 6 GB/s, Wi-Fi AC - ARGB Ready

Memory (RAM) 128GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (8 x 16GB)

Graphics Card 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 Ti - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!

2nd Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 1030

1st M.2 SSD Drive 256GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (1900 MB/R, 1100 MB/W) = (This one has my linux OS)

2nd M.2 SSD Drive 256GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (1900 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)

1st Storage Drive 2TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W) = (This one has my storage files)

2nd Storage Drive 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE

3rd Storage Drive 256GB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (500MB/R, 400MB/W) = (This is where i want to install windows to)

Power Supply CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Power Cable 1 x 1 Meter UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)

Processor Cooling PCS FrostFlow 150 Series High Performance CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

LED Lighting 50cm Blue LED Strip

Extra Case Fans 1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)

Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Card 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

Wireless Network Card WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0

USB/Thunderbolt Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

neither be installed nor started. Most current Linux distributions include a signed boot loader or kernel and the system can also be installed and started with activated Secure Boot. However, there are always problems. › Linux and Windows in parallel a computer – it works, we tell how to do it. (Photo: IDG) basics 70 › Linux and Windows parallel on the PC Sometimes, for example, the boot entry is not transferred to the firmware memory ("NVRAM"). You should therefore at least install Secure Boot in the Disable Uefi firmware setup. It's different on every PC. An instruction for this should be found in the manual of the motherboard or the notebook.

Or try to use a helping software.

https://support.apple.com/de-de/guide/bootcamp-assistant/bcmp173b3bf2/mac

https://winfuture.de/downloadvorschalt,2271.html

Hope that works. Good Luck!

Windows can only be installed on the first drive, on the primary controller, not anywhere else.
So, if Linux is taking up what "would" be seen as drive C, that's your problem, install on the primary drive, install Linux on secondary drive, and see if it will boot 🙂

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2023 at 4:46 PM, SystemCrash86 said:

Hi, I hope this is the right place to say this.

I got a new desktop a few months ago and i am very pleased with it and all the hardware works but i do have a question

I am having a very strange issue that despite by best efforts i am unable to solve.

I am having trouble installing Windows 10 or 11 onto my fairly new desktop pc.

The computer has 3x 256GB PCS 2.5" SSD's
I use Linux as my primary operating system so that is loaded on one ssd and boots first.

I have been trying to install Windows on the other ssd but no success - every time i come close to installing it has an error that comes up.

The closest i have come to finishing the installation is when the Windows setup says "Finishing up" then i get the error which is usually "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the phase of the installation"

All the drives are good with no errors and formatted correctly and the windows media tool downloaded without any issues.

I have disconnected all my non essential usb's and in my BIOS i have allowed "Windows UEFI" only to boot, it was the only setting under "Secure Boot" which says i need to disable but there is no specific option for that.
It just says two things:
1) Windows UEFI
2) Other OS

I am trying to install windows so i chose option 1

Really not sure what the problem is. The computer runs perfectly with no issues at all but will not allow me to install Windows

Hope somebody can help

My computer specs are:

Case = PCS P209 ARGB MID TOWER CASE

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i9 10 Core Processor i9-10900X (3.7GHz) 19.25MB Cache

Motherboard ASUS® ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II: ATX, USB 3.2, SATA 6 GB/s, Wi-Fi AC - ARGB Ready

Memory (RAM) 128GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (8 x 16GB)

Graphics Card 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 Ti - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!

2nd Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 1030

1st M.2 SSD Drive 256GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (1900 MB/R, 1100 MB/W) = (This one has my linux OS)

2nd M.2 SSD Drive 256GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (1900 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)

1st Storage Drive 2TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W) = (This one has my storage files)

2nd Storage Drive 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE

3rd Storage Drive 256GB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (500MB/R, 400MB/W) = (This is where i want to install windows to)

Power Supply CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Power Cable 1 x 1 Meter UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)

Processor Cooling PCS FrostFlow 150 Series High Performance CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

LED Lighting 50cm Blue LED Strip

Extra Case Fans 1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)

Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Card 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

Wireless Network Card WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0

USB/Thunderbolt Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

It seems like you have taken several steps to troubleshoot the issue. Here are a few more suggestions that may help you install Windows on your computer:

Check the Windows installation media: Ensure that the USB drive or DVD you are using to install Windows is not corrupted. You can try creating a new installation media using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool.

Check the BIOS settings: Apart from selecting the "Windows UEFI" option, ensure that the SATA mode is set to AHCI and not RAID. Also, disable any overclocking settings if enabled.

Check the SSD: Run a diagnostic test on the SSD that you want to install Windows on to ensure that it is not faulty. You can use software like CrystalDiskInfo to check the health of your SSD.

Disconnect unnecessary hardware: Disconnect all unnecessary hardware devices like external hard drives, printers, and scanners. Leave only the essential hardware devices connected, like the keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

Update the BIOS: Check for any BIOS updates available for your motherboard and update it to the latest version.

Try a different SSD: If possible, try installing Windows on a different SSD to ensure that the issue is not with the SSD itself.