am I WARRANTY screwed. FLASH ERROR on PvII after trying to flash version 2.0 ANSWER NO Hak5 did an EXCELLENT JOB THANKS ALL!

odeon
Go to solution Solved by odeon,

So I bought a pvII Sept 2020 and used it periodically.  I decided to update the version from what it shipped with to the latest and am getting FLASH ERROR.  Someone mentioned that some pvll's were shipped with a problem which only crops up now the 2.0 checks the memory. I am using a https://plugable.com/products/usb2-hub-ag7/ with output 5v at 3a

What will Hak5 do to remedy this?  I want to use the latest version of the software designed for the product they shipped me.

here are the steps I went through to get to this point which I followed thanks to the wonderful dark_pyrro   support where he indicated this could be a version 1.0 vs 2.0 problem

factory reset as per the link https://docs.hak5.org/wifi-pineapple/faq/factory-reset-and-recovery a

uploaded the recovery file mk7_recovery_1.0.1.bin   to get to a blue SOLID light

uploaded the latest firmware when prompted   upgrade-2.1.3-stable.2022101708401.bin

http://172.16.42.1:1471  and got

FLASH ERROR

FLASH ERROR

a flash error was detected on your device
Edited by odeon

I already told you this in the other thread you created:

"If you get flash errors when using a 2.x firmware version, the Pineapple may have bad flash storage (something that is checked when 2.x fw is used). This means that you may have been running the Mark VII successfully on fw 1.x, but when upgrading to 2.x flash errors may be detected. If so, I would suggest creating a support ticket."

and you answered

"your suggestion to raise a support issue seems the correct path and I will do that"

So... my suggestion is still valid.

Hi there

this question is about warranty not ignoring your advice.  I can see why you were concerned I was ignoring your advice. I was not and have changed the topic to reflect my concerns. Sorry to have gotten it wrong first time.

I  do appreciate what you said and before raising a support ticket I wanted to check if there was any point.  I have pointed out what wonderful support you offered and HAVE filed a support ticket. Right now it's just waiting for "tech support"  got a BAD feeling about this. If it's out of warranty then I am not sure what hak5 will do. I would expect that they honor their agreement to provide me with a machine that was fully functional and NOT contain flawed memory of any nature.  Perhaps this is something I have done but we will soon find out. 

Edited by odeon

• odeon changed the title to am I WARRANTY screwed. FLASH ERROR on PvII after trying to flash version 2.0
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
On 3/5/2023 at 9:01 AM, odeon said:

Hi there

this question is about warranty not ignoring your advice.  I can see why you were concerned I was ignoring your advice. I was not and have changed the topic to reflect my concerns. Sorry to have gotten it wrong first time.

I  do appreciate what you said and before raising a support ticket I wanted to check if there was any point.  I have pointed out what wonderful support you offered and HAVE filed a support ticket. Right now it's just waiting for "tech support"  got a BAD feeling about this. If it's out of warranty then I am not sure what hak5 will do. I would expect that they honor their agreement to provide me with a machine that was fully functional and NOT contain flawed memory of any nature.  Perhaps this is something I have done but we will soon find out. 

I have my answer. Hak5 stand by their products. With MINIMAL fuss I reported the issue and they sent out a replacement machine within hours! Thank you so much Hak5 for being an example of a GREAT organization that gives a s#@t about the little guy.  I am a VERY happy bunny.

• odeon changed the title to am I WARRANTY screwed. FLASH ERROR on PvII after trying to flash version 2.0 ANSWER NO Hak5 did an EXCELLENT JOB THANKS ALL!
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, JHack said:

I hope this is the case, I ordered when it first came out and I'm experiencing this issue.

I just sent a request but im fearful of the fact that I bought in oct 2021.

Hak5 didn't take a moment to start the delivery of a replacement. I filled out the request with all the details and I want to say that the new box was in my mail slot in about a week. Completely seamless. Outstanding team Hak5

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...