Possible project? "Audio scrambler"

gnuX

So I've got this neighbor who doesn't really realize (or rather, don't care) that we have quite thin walls between us and when he blasts his stereo on full I get a uninhabitable sound environment in my apartment (over 80dB of bass). I've complained to him and to the landlord but nothing really happens so I've thought maybe I could do something about it myself.

The idea is that when you put a cellphone in close vicinity to unbalanced audio equipment it creates a lot of distortion when you make a call to it. So I figured maybe I could amplify this, or replicate it some other way so it would distort equipment in a larger radius. Would it be possible to do this without creating a device that would be dangerous to use?

AFAIK you're talking about GSM signals that interfere with FM transmissions, I'm not sure if they're going to do any good to no FM transmitted stereo sound.

My desktop computer speakers can pick up an incoming call, so I think it might have more to do with the amplifier...

AFAIK you're talking about GSM signals that interfere with FM transmissions, I'm not sure if they're going to do any good to no FM transmitted stereo sound.

My desktop computer speakers can pick up an incoming call, so I think it might have more to do with the amplifier...

My guess as well...
Knock on the door and when he answers kick him in the crotch.
ohh brute forcing ;)
Problem is, he would totally kick my ass.

Well, if you're willing to spend a bit of money and use a lot of power. I have some schematics and blueprints of EMP generators that disable electronics in a direction. Then you can disable every electronic pertaining to the stereo and some other stuff. It is directional so you wouldn't do any damage to your own household. Althought it would be a good idea to get it out of the way.

Well, if you're willing to spend a bit of money and use a lot of power. I have some schematics and blueprints of EMP generators that disable electronics in a direction. Then you can disable every electronic pertaining to the stereo and some other stuff. It is directional so you wouldn't do any damage to your own household. Althought it would be a good idea to get it out of the way.

Is that legal? How close are the speakers to the wall? and how think are they? Magnets do wonders next to speakers :lol:

really this depends on whether he is listening to radio, (which can easily be jammed, or broadcast over ;)) , or if he's listening to CDs, MP3s, vinyl etc, then you will need to "affect" his amplifier, which is obviously more difficult.

a simple solution could be to get a hold of a remote for the stereo he has, using some kind of reflector between your and his windows.... could work, depending on the position of his stereo with his window