Evil Twin portal launches when I connect to the management SSID

brauckzilla

I'm brand new to the Pineapple, so forgive my ignorance here.

I setup Evil Twin yesterday for a work project.  I need a captive portal to test some VPN software.

Anyway, that is all working good after some initial glitches.

What I notice now is that when I connect to the management network SSID on my Mac, I get Firefox pop-up stating I need to connect to the network first. When I click the button, it takes me to the Evil Twin portal which is on a different SSID.

Not sure what logs or where the logs are to gather to isolate the issue.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

When using the Evil Portal module (which I guess is what you are referring to), any networking interface (in OpenWrt terms) that passes through the br-lan device will be captured by the portal and that includes the management AP as well, not just the open AP.

The module changes the iptables configuration on the br-lan device. Check lines 146-149 in the module.py file of the Evil Portal module.

So, any traffic on any interface that goes through the "br-lan" device is used for Evil Portal.

Check
/etc/config/network
and
/etc/config/wireless
to identify those interfaces. Should be wlan0 (open AP) and wlan0-1 (management AP) and any other WiFi interface on the radio0 device such as Enterprise and EvilWPA that uses "lan" as network since "lan" uses "br-lan" as device.

You could perhaps change the lines mentioned above and specify wlan0 (the open AP) instead of br-lan if you want to just get Evil Portal "activated" when someone is connected to the open AP. I haven't tried that though, so I don't know if it will work as expected.

3 hours ago, dark_pyrro said:

When using the Evil Portal module (which I guess is what you are referring to), any networking interface (in OpenWrt terms) that passes through the br-lan device will be captured by the portal and that includes the management AP as well, not just the open AP.

The module changes the iptables configuration on the br-lan device. Check lines 146-149 in the module.py file of the Evil Portal module.

So, any traffic on any interface that goes through the "br-lan" device is used for Evil Portal.

Check
/etc/config/network
and
/etc/config/wireless
to identify those interfaces. Should be wlan0 (open AP) and wlan0-1 (management AP) and any other WiFi interface on the radio0 device such as Enterprise and EvilWPA that uses "lan" as network since "lan" uses "br-lan" as device.

You could perhaps change the lines mentioned above and specify wlan0 (the open AP) instead of br-lan if you want to just get Evil Portal "activated" when someone is connected to the open AP. I haven't tried that though, so I don't know if it will work as expected.

Thanks for the reply.  I'll take a look at it and see what I can do.

So, based on your description of the code, this is WAD (Working as Designed).

Cheers

Craig

Archived