Shark Jack Cable LED bug

ChristophR
Go to solution Solved by dark_pyrro,

The RGB LED of my new Shark Jack Cable is not working as expected.
1. In Arming Mode it is blinking yellow instead of blue, does that indicate anything?
2. By entering LED commands, they are adding up, which means after entering `LED B FAST` it is blinking blue and yellow, and after entering `LED R FAST` it is blinking blue, red and yellow alternating. `LED G SOLID` makes the LED green until the next blinking color is coming again.
In payloads it is the same effect, also for the default payload.

I already tried to fix it by re-flashing the firmware, but the problem remains.

Any idea how to solve this issue or did I just miss a feature?

Yellow indicates arming mode
https://docs.hak5.org/shark-jack/getting-started/default-settings#led-status-indications

They do add on top of each other. Use LED OFF before issuing any new LED activity. If creating a payload with multiple LED commands, they can be observed if running ps when connected to the Shark using serial or ssh in attack mode/using a payload. However, for some reason it seems to be something strange with the LED OFF command for the Shark Jack Cable in attack mode. Not sure if it's a valid accusation, but it works on the battery based Shark. It doesn't even seem to be needed to issue LED OFF when switching LED modes on the battery based Shark. Haven't had time now to dig deeper into it though, but the LED command files aren't the same on the battery Shark and the cable Shark.

Thanks for the quick feedback!

on the instruction note from the package it says blinking blue is Arming Mode, maybe your link refers just to the Shark Jack without cable?

unfortunately LED OFF is not doing anything on my Shark Jack Cable. The LED keeps blinking yellow, or whatever I stack on it.

Looking forward to your idea

The blinking blue is a "heritage" from the battery based Shark since most of the OS/system of the both devices are the same. The blinking blue doesn't really indicate arming mode, but charging. Since the cable variant doesn't have a battery, that LED indicator isn't valid. Perhaps a "typo" when the instruction card was printed, or the fact that there was a bit too much "copy/paste" from the battery based information card when the cable based Shark was released to market. I have both cards, I can compare them but I have to do some storage room digging to accomplish that.

It's something related to the part of the LED command that looks for already spawned LED related processes but it fails to kill them (whereas the battery based Shark succeeds, they have a somewhat different approach in doing that; ps vs. pgrep).

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/24/2023 at 12:19 PM, dark_pyrro said:

Simply replace the pgrep routine of the SJC in the end of the /usr/bin/LED file with the one from the battery Shark, it should do the job. It's the easiest/fastest workaround.

ps | grep LED | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}' | grep -v $$ | xargs kill -9 &> /dev/null

Do you mean to change both lines? Like that?

if pgrep -f LED | grep -qvE "$$|${PPID}"; then                                  
    #kill "$(pgrep -f LED | grep -vE "$$|${PPID}" | tr '\n' ' ')" > /dev/null 2>
    ps | grep LED | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}' | grep -v $$ | xargs kill -9
fi                                                                              
if pgrep -f DO_A_BARREL_ROLL | grep -qvE "$$|${PPID}"; then                     
    #kill "$(pgrep -f DO_A_BARREL_ROLL | grep -vE "$$|${PPID}" | tr '\n' ' ')" >
    ps | grep LED | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}' | grep -v $$ | xargs kill -9

BR cop