Odd Question/Idea/Tiny Snowball (Homebrew Computer)

ShinmaRyuu

I am sitting here looking at how many tiny storage devices you can buy now like Compaq Flash cards. What i am wondering is how hard would it be today to build you own computer in the way Woz did with the Apple. Everything is available in some way it would just take a lot of experimentation and highly customized software more than likely a linux build of some sort.

I am not talking about a mother board based custom system i am talking a fully working computer from scratch using off the shelf parts.

So my question is can you using off the shelf parts in a new way build a working "computer". By Computer i mean storage, memory, processor, and a OS that can run software.

You could just build your own Apple I ;)

But maybe this project is for you: http://www-scf.usc.edu/~cfenton/laptop.htm

To old school for my taste. I am talking more of a modern idea of a computer. Although that is pretty slick. I'll up the ante. Let say it has to be close to a P1 or P2 system. Old enough as to not be impossible with out a lab but new enough to run linux in a desktop use kind of way.

Id think id be a royal PIA to re-create a modern computer in the same way the WOZ did, Given the amount of materials needed, very small size of the parts, and complexity of the circuitry. Not to mention the precise soldering you'd need to do.

But hey, crazier things have happened. GL if you start the project.

I wouldn't doubt it. Only problem you really face is the size of the parts you would put into it. Laptops get as small as they can due to surface mounting and such. You don't have to go as low as the link above. Although I have to say, it's pretty cool. It's possible, it's just what time/money/size you want/have.

I can help with any wiring of the stuff and such if you need it.

i have wanted to try something like this for a while. i thought it would be too complicated although sbc's are small and i have seen scematics for them and it dosent look complicated.

P.S. Back when Woz built the Apple Computer, They didnt need advanced processors and graphic cards. 2MHz was really fast. Now You need alot of power to run modern OS's. But if you can built a modern, low processor and graphics consumption OS, it might be Easy.

I am sitting here looking at how many tiny storage devices you can buy now like Compaq Flash cards. What i am wondering is how hard would it be today to build you own computer in the way Woz did with the Apple. Everything is available in some way it would just take a lot of experimentation and highly customized software more than likely a linux build of some sort.

I am not talking about a mother board based custom system i am talking a fully working computer from scratch using off the shelf parts.

So my question is can you using off the shelf parts in a new way build a working "computer". By Computer i mean storage, memory, processor, and a OS that can run software.

He didn't say anything about it having to be a laptop. you don't have to use a conventional input/output. I'm wanting a PDA type device that uses voice recognition and a heads up display/eyepiece use a bluetooth earbud computer device all the technology is easily available off the shelf.

Check out stuff like PIC chips or the ATMEL chips - they are basically single chip solutions with built in USB, IDE interface, RAM, Flash memory etc so with minimum glue you can interface to ide drives (even pcmcia), keyboards etc.

Problem is now that alot of stuff uses surface mount technology so you can't just buy a breadboard and solder something together, but the flip side is that aloy of the chips have emulators that run under windows/linux and good debugging/programming interfaces to load your software on and embedded OS's ready to go.

IMHO a search for BTNode, PicoWeb or Ethernut is a good way to start as some of the older kits would provide you with a PCB and such to get building your own.

Using off-the-shelf parts, you'd probably have a hard time building a 286 based system, let alone a P1 or P2 specced computer.

Seriously, grab an old motherboard and look at how it's assembled. You'll need some pretty strong digital electronics theory to be able to build a working computer system from the ground up. Especially one that would run linux.

Set your sights abit lower if you're really interested. Try building a Z80 based system first, then if you manage to pull it off, build something bigger.