Sharkjack 1.2 Internet Connection

Treb

So I am trying to run the UPDATE_PAYLOADS command on the shark jack while it is connected to my computer via a USB NIC. However when I run the command I get this error:

You must have an internet connection to sync the payload libraries.

The documentation states:

Check to ensure that the eth0 interface has an Internet connection. If the IP address is statically assigned to 172.16.24.1, rather than an address on the target network via DHCP, run the NETMODE DHCP_CLIENT command and try UPDATE_PAYLOADS again.

However when I run this command I drop the connection to the sharkjack. I tried scanning my network to see if it registered with DHCP but it does not show up. Any thoughts?

OK, lets start with collecting some intel......

What Shark Jack are you using? The battery based "1st gen" Shark or the Shark Jack cable (SJC)? As I write this I see that you mentioned 1.2 in the title of the thread/post which indicates that it is the SJC that is being used.

How are you connecting to the Shark? You say that you can't find the Shark when looking at DHCP leases on your network but at the same time you say that you are able to execute the UPDATE_PAYLOADS command on the Shark which implies that you have local access to it. My guess is that you connect to it using serial via USB-C.

In what way did you prepare the Shark to act as a client to your network using DHCP? Did you create a payload including NETMODE DHCP_CLIENT and then set the Shark switch in attack mode before plugging it in?

Hi, thanks for the reply!

1. Correct, I am using the SJC.

2. I connecting to the shark via SSH using the default ip 172.16.24.1. It is connected to my Desktop computer via a USB ethernet NIC, and I am using the USB C to power it with my laptop.

3. I am able to access it and run the command, correct. My expectation was that the shark would grab a DHCP address when I plugged it into the computer. When I saw this was not the case I ran just the NETMODE DHCP_CLIENT command and that is where I lose access to the shark.

In what way did you prepare the Shark to act as a client to your network using DHCP? Did you create a payload including NETMODE DHCP_CLIENT and then set the Shark switch in attack mode before plugging it in?

I did not do this, I have not created nor uploaded any payloads other than the default nmap script. Since the USB NIC I have plugged into my PC is showing as an adapter in control panel I figured the shark would automatically pick up a DHCP address when I ran the NETMODE command, but then that leaves the issue of figuring out what IP address it got so I can SSH back into it. I ran a network scan on my PC to try and find the shark after running the DHCP command but it did not appear to show up. 

I am just looking for a way to give the shark an internet connection so that I can run that UPLOAD_PAYLOADS command.

Thanks again.

You can't do it that way unless your PC is acting as a DHCP server.

Instead of attaching the Shark to the PC, create a payload where it acts as a DHCP client from start and connect the Shark to some Ethernet port if you have any. The port should be in some networking device such as a "home router", switch or such that provides access to your network (and furthermore, the Internet). Then you can search for it on your network and connect to it using ssh. When in an ssh session, you can execute the upload payloads command. Another way (than searching for it on the network) is to connect to it using serial at the same time as it's connected to your local network and interact with the Shark that way.

Use a payload like the one below that will start as a DHCP client and also start the ssh daemon on the Shark to allow terminal logins. You can skip the code below the line that starts sshd though. That part is not needed.

https://github.com/hak5/sharkjack-payloads/blob/master/payloads/library/util/ssh-ip-blinker/payload.sh

I'm not using most of these extra tools since I'm doing things in other ways, so when reading the docs, I understand that it might be a bit confusing. When reading the docs about the UPDATE_PAYLOADS command, it has to be read in the perspective that the interaction with the Shark is supposed to be made using serial. If you are in arming mode and connected to it using ssh over Ethernet and you issue the NETMODE DHCP_CLIENT command, it will totally crash your ssh connection to the Shark and also the Sharks ability to communicate to the outside world since the PC can't provide a DHCP lease. In any case, the Shark needs to be connected to an Ethernet port that provides network and internet access. Connecting it to a PC won't make that happen.

Ah. So if I connect the USB C end to my PC, connect to it via serial (using PuTTY), and then plug the other end into my router, I should be good to go as far as getting it internet access? I will try this as soon as I can. 

Archived