Creating a web page (Apps to use?)

PureZero

Yea yea i know, its a stupid question. But when you are in the blind, sometimes you need a little dirrections.

Well so here we go, i wanna create a web site. Not really about anything special since i have no goal about this to meet. The simple reason i want to do this is because i want to know if i can do it. Make a good website, that people like and enjoy, and will be somewhat usefull to people.

So simple said, because i want to know if i can.

So well, since i really aint experienced, any suggestions and so on will guaranteed help me. The only experience i really have is pages like myspace etc, and simple school projects. Nothing really big if you know what i meen.

I want to use open source apps, because i really think it have more to offer. And ofcource the obvious part of beeing free. The only thing i wanna pay for is the domain.

So well, could anyone tell me, or come with any good things i should use. and i meen for anything.

As you see, im kinda new on this, just know a little about alot. But im a quick learner, and dont mind reading a few books or so to get it to work.

And yes, ofcource i am googling for information, but experience with something tells more then the page you get it from.

First, I would check google, since its like the most obvious teacher and will bring you closer to any questions being answered about web pages than you will realize.

As far as books, start with: http://www.biblio.com/books/83578439.html

and also, there is one for PHP(if your going to use a host that has PHP, which most do these days). While you can find all the HTML coding in the world online, the book makes a nice reference to have on hand and keep you sharp on the fundamentals.

I also like the w3schools site. Lots of resources, but if you want to start with the basics on scripting and html, try: http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp

Then get to things like layouts, using CSS and XML, etc. Once you have all the basics, and you can do them in plain text from scratch, move on to the automated programs with templates, but starting with them first will only slow the learning curve since your not really digging into the code. Hands on is the best way to learn and using drag and drop items in something like dreamweaver or frontpage is just going to make you lazy and not really understand whats going on behind the scenes. There isn't one thing you can't do in plain text that these programs do for you aside from Flash, and while a lot of hosts come with some basic templates and editors built into their control panels, I find that they make pretty bland and boring sites which ALWAYS need tweaking in the end anyway.

thanks alot, seems like a very good start for me :)

As for using finished templates and such, it kinda ruins the point for me, then someone else is doing all the work while i just type the stuff on the site. Not creating it.

Better to keep trying to you get it to work :)

thanks alot, seems like a very good start for me :)

As for using finished templates and such, it kinda ruins the point for me, then someone else is doing all the work while i just type the stuff on the site. Not creating it.

Better to keep trying to you get it to work :)

what you should do is learn how to style in css with divs then download a fucking table styled template and realize how bad it sucks to table style something... STUPID FUCKING TABLED TEMPLATE

Also, if you really want to make the entire page yourself, find some tutorials on GIMP or photoshop, and start designing and slicing your layout

Thanks for the tips, i should have mentioned that i can use Gimp and Photoshop. Im not like a pro or something, but im far from beginner at it.

I'm slightly ahead of PureZero I took a intro to web design and a front page class at Riverside Community College. that was couple years ago. Did all of my web page design class in notepad and spent more time looking at the source page than anything else in my front page class. I think he was also asking about what prog ppl use and like or don't like. if hes not then I am :) I've looked at the w3school site and I like it. :)

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/ (For it's html wysiwyg editor)

http://www.lissaexplains.com/ (HTML help in a easy way to learn)

Then just snag a copy of gimp and you should be good to go on most websites. If you want to play with css fine but your going to see a lot slower results if you don't know what your doing or have an app that can help you out. The key to first time pages is set down a good basic layout and build as your skills do.

Another neat trick as long as the site is set up in the right way is to snag the source from a website using the view/page source. I learned html this way a long time ago and learned how to make a rss feed from scratch in a similar way. The only real easy way to learn html is to see it in action and poke at it until you see why it it's action. Other than that just use the old KISS ideas and keep it simple. There are enough messy web pages abound. Go web 2.0 big buttons, simple text, easy to use.

For an editor if you are using windows I would go with notepad2 and for linux I would go with gedit and I couldn't tell you wut to use with mac.

for tutorials check out http://w3schools.com and also http://htmlcodetutorial.com

and I would suggest also learning CSS and JavaScript to make look better and have alot more features

Okey I was sorta woundering what would be the next thing to learn I got basic html and front page, I've played with Dreamweaver, and flash, taken a couple programming classes VB 6.0 and Pascal thats dated. :P was thinking something next step? PHP, Java/javascript....looking for the next baby step. ;)

Okey I was sorta woundering what would be the next thing to learn I got basic html and front page, I've played with Dreamweaver, and flash, taken a couple programming classes VB 6.0 and Pascal thats dated. was thinking something next step? PHP, Java/javascript....looking for the next baby step.

If you are looking for a class to take I would go with java but if you are looking for something to teach yourself then I would go with CSS or javascript