Jump to content

NO LED / Storage Attackmode not working.


Recommended Posts

This is the first Hak5 product I have ever purchased, so I am very aware that I am probably doing something wrong here.

When using the default inject.bin, I get a green LED. When I remove this inject.bin from the ducky I get a red LED. However, when I use ANY other payload (written myself / found online) I get NO LED. I am using the community version of Payload Studio to encode. 

As well as this, I am no longer able to access storage through USB, the button does nothing. I am only able to access it through an SD card reader.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Red LED indicates that there's not inject.bin (or missing Micro SD card). So if you removed the inject.bin, it's no real surprise that the LED goes red.
https://docs.hak5.org/hak5-usb-rubber-ducky/button/LED

As for the button, it should mount the Micro SD card as storage if you haven't got some payload that tells it to do anything else.
https://docs.hak5.org/hak5-usb-rubber-ducky/button/wait_for_button_press#overview

Can't say why there's no LED at all. I guess you have to provide some example of payload code you are trying to get to work.

Also make sure that you name it inject.bin specifically. Not "inject (2).bin" or such (that I've seen some users do). It would logically render a red LED though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, dark_pyrro said:

Red LED indicates that there's not inject.bin (or missing Micro SD card). So if you removed the inject.bin, it's no real surprise that the LED goes red.
https://docs.hak5.org/hak5-usb-rubber-ducky/button/LED

As for the button, it should mount the Micro SD card as storage if you haven't got some payload that tells it to do anything else.
https://docs.hak5.org/hak5-usb-rubber-ducky/button/wait_for_button_press#overview

Can't say why there's no LED at all. I guess you have to provide some example of payload code you are trying to get to work.

Also make sure that you name it inject.bin specifically. Not "inject (2).bin" or such (that I've seen some users do). It would logically render a red LED though.

I just want to clarify that I was fully expecting the LED to be red upon there being no inject.bin present, I only specified to rule out the fact that payloads weren’t being detected AT ALL. 

All Payloads tried have been named inject.bin specifically.

As mentioned previously, using the button with the original inject.bin is not mounting the MicroSD as storage, so I’m really not sure what to do there.

As for the payloads I’ve tried, a whole host from as simple as Hello World, to more complex ones found online. At this point I would say that any payload will cause this issue.

The issue is persistent on Mac and Windows.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, tusks said:

using the button with the original inject.bin is not mounting the MicroSD as storage

OK, but the default/out of the box payload/inject.bin should mount as storage and if you press the button when that payload has been executed it won't change anyrthing since it's already in ATTACKMODE STORAGE.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, dark_pyrro said:

OK, but the default/out of the box payload/inject.bin should mount as storage and if you press the button when that payload has been executed it won't change anyrthing since it's already in ATTACKMODE STORAGE.

I’ll clarify that it was in ATTACKMODE STORAGE at first, but since then I have not been able to get it back to this state.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, to sum things up, you can't get the Ducky to mount as storage by:

- using the default payload (inject.bin) that comes on the micro sd card out of the box
or
- pressing the button
or
- having no inject.bin file at all on the micro SD card

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, dark_pyrro said:

So, to sum things up, you can't get the Ducky to mount as storage by:

- using the default payload (inject.bin) that comes on the micro sd card out of the box
or
- pressing the button
or
- having no inject.bin file at all on the micro SD card

This, as well as writing a payload to mount as storage, as any other inject.bin will not run, or even cause the LED to be on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you tried it with other devices/computers? Tried other micro SD cards? Any anti-malware features that might block the device (even if you seem to have been successful at least once)? Have you tried to flash the Ducky with some firmware that isn't compatible?

If nothing helps, then I would suggest placing a support ticket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2022 at 10:10 AM, dark_pyrro said:

Have you tried it with other devices/computers? Tried other micro SD cards? Any anti-malware features that might block the device (even if you seem to have been successful at least once)? Have you tried to flash the Ducky with some firmware that isn't compatible?

If nothing helps, then I would suggest placing a support ticket.

I have tried it on Mac as well as Windows. I haven’t tried any other micro SD cards or tried to flash the Ducky with any other firmware. I think I will have to place a support ticket, but thank you for your help regardless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/25/2022 at 7:35 PM, Darren Kitchen said:

If you remove the MicroSD card from the USB Rubber Ducky and plug it into a computer, either via USB-C or USB-A, what LED indications do you receive?

Hi Darren,

If I remove the MicroSD from the ducky I do receive a red LED.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the USB Rubber Ducky lights solid red when power is applied while no MicroSD card is attached, this indicates that the software is functioning properly, however the MicroSD card cannot be read. Common problems include:

  • no inject.bin file on the root of the MicroSD card (check that it isn't named "inject (1).bin" or similar)
  • a corrupt inject.bin file
  • a corrupt MicroSD card
  • a MicroSD card with more than one partition
  • a MicroSD card formatted in a filesystem other than FAT (exFAT, NTFS, EXT4, etc)
  • a MicroSD card of an unsupported capacity (SDHC, SDXC, SDUC)

I recommend checking the MicroSD card with a reader outside the USB Rubber Ducky. Reformat as necessary.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/29/2022 at 6:15 PM, Darren Kitchen said:

If the USB Rubber Ducky lights solid red when power is applied while no MicroSD card is attached, this indicates that the software is functioning properly, however the MicroSD card cannot be read. Common problems include:

  • no inject.bin file on the root of the MicroSD card (check that it isn't named "inject (1).bin" or similar)
  • a corrupt inject.bin file
  • a corrupt MicroSD card
  • a MicroSD card with more than one partition
  • a MicroSD card formatted in a filesystem other than FAT (exFAT, NTFS, EXT4, etc)
  • a MicroSD card of an unsupported capacity (SDHC, SDXC, SDUC)

I recommend checking the MicroSD card with a reader outside the USB Rubber Ducky. Reformat as necessary.

I was never able to get my ducky to mount right (windows plays the mounting sound but displays no storage device) or go into arming mode. Im assuming its somehow stuck coming up as an HID. Ive tried on Ubuntu, Manjaro and Windows, while looking for a fix I saw this and tried it but after removing the MicroSD the LED quickly flashes green instead of red. Am I missing something?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you read the MicroSD card using a regular card reader?

You say the USB Rubber Ducky is flashing green when plugged in without a MicroSD card inserted? Does it flash green then go off? Blink? Stay solid?

Is this the new USB Rubber Ducky?

Are you holding the button while plugging it in by chance?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Darren Kitchen said:

Can you read the MicroSD card using a regular card reader?

You say the USB Rubber Ducky is flashing green when plugged in without a MicroSD card inserted? Does it flash green then go off? Blink? Stay solid?

Is this the new USB Rubber Ducky?

Are you holding the button while plugging it in by chance

I can read the card with a regular reader and tried replacing the inject.bin file with the string hello that loads automatically at first. 

The led was flashing green at first and now no longer does that either, on a windows it will play the mounting sound but wont show up anywhere 

This is the new rubber ducky, I have tried holding, pressing and avoiding the button and nothing seems to change. The led also does not light up red when inserted with no MicroSD card. I was wondering if theres a way to reinstall the software on the ducky. I've ordered another one to see if this one was just faulty but the preorder said it was a 45 day wait 😪

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

I can read the card with a regular reader and tried replacing the inject.bin file with the string hello that loads automatically at first. 

What do you mean by "string hello that loads automatically at first" ? The inject.bin that comes pre-loaded only activates ATTACKMODE STORAGE. It does nothing else.

Try this — copy the below linked inject.bin to the root of the MicroSD card using a regular card reader (not the ducky). Then pop the card in the USB Rubber Ducky and attach it to a computer or standard power source. 

https://darren.kitchen/duck2/inject.bin

It won't inject anything unless you press the button (it'll type "Hello, World!" if you do). Go ahead and try this file and let me know what LED indications you receive.

I recommend trying on multiple computers.

If you don't get any LED indications at all, then I recommend reformatting the MicroSD card with a FAT or FAT32 file system then attempting again.

inject.bin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Darren Kitchen said:

What do you mean by "string hello that loads automatically at first" ? The inject.bin that comes pre-loaded only activates ATTACKMODE STORAGE. It does nothing else.

Try this — copy the below linked inject.bin to the root of the MicroSD card using a regular card reader (not the ducky). Then pop the card in the USB Rubber Ducky and attach it to a computer or standard power source. 

https://darren.kitchen/duck2/inject.bin

It won't inject anything unless you press the button (it'll type "Hello, World!" if you do). Go ahead and try this file and let me know what LED indications you receive.

I recommend trying on multiple computers.

If you don't get any LED indications at all, then I recommend reformatting the MicroSD card with a FAT or FAT32 file system then attempting again.

inject.bin 90 B · 0 downloads

I meant the payload that loads automatically in the payload studio "STRING Hello World!"

I copied the linked inject.bin with a card reader and had the same result, no light from the LED, then I tried again after reformatting the MicroSD and copying the inject.bin again as well, still no response or LED

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2022 at 2:15 AM, Darren Kitchen said:

If the USB Rubber Ducky lights solid red when power is applied while no MicroSD card is attached, this indicates that the software is functioning properly, however the MicroSD card cannot be read. Common problems include:

  • no inject.bin file on the root of the MicroSD card (check that it isn't named "inject (1).bin" or similar)
  • a corrupt inject.bin file
  • a corrupt MicroSD card
  • a MicroSD card with more than one partition
  • a MicroSD card formatted in a filesystem other than FAT (exFAT, NTFS, EXT4, etc)
  • a MicroSD card of an unsupported capacity (SDHC, SDXC, SDUC)

I recommend checking the MicroSD card with a reader outside the USB Rubber Ducky. Reformat as necessary.

Hi Darren,

I have reformatted my microSD multiple times now but still not seeing any progress. Even using the inject.bin you provided to JLin, I don't get any LED at all. I have contacted customer support in order to get a refund / replacement twice now but haven't received a response.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@JLin @tusks thanks for troubleshooting. I'll see that your support tickets are resolved today. Have a great Labor Day weekend.

 

Edit: I've looked in our ticket system and see nothing open for the new USB Rubber Ducky. Please visit https://hak5.customerdesk.io/ and select Product Support > USB Rubber Ducky > New USB Rubber Ducky. I'll see that your tickets are expedited. Thanks and again my apologies for the inconvenience!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2022 at 3:15 AM, Darren Kitchen said:

If the USB Rubber Ducky lights solid red when power is applied while no MicroSD card is attached, this indicates that the software is functioning properly, however the MicroSD card cannot be read. Common problems include:

  • no inject.bin file on the root of the MicroSD card (check that it isn't named "inject (1).bin" or similar)
  • a corrupt inject.bin file
  • a corrupt MicroSD card
  • a MicroSD card with more than one partition
  • a MicroSD card formatted in a filesystem other than FAT (exFAT, NTFS, EXT4, etc)
  • a MicroSD card of an unsupported capacity (SDHC, SDXC, SDUC)

I recommend checking the MicroSD card with a reader outside the USB Rubber Ducky. Reformat as necessary.

Hello Dear Darren , I have the same problem with classic USB Rubber Ducky , the red Led can't changed even everything correct . I try all solution 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...