Got myself another pesky usb problem

Painkiller667

Well the story is long, and I will try to make it short. As some might have noticed, I was trying to mod my usb wifi adapter. When I finally soldered an sma connector onto it, and plugged it into the usb port, I got a usb icon in the tray, and "Error Code 10, the device cannot start" <- or something like that. Anyway, I thought I might have shorted out the connections, so I went back and unsoldered/removed the connector off my adapter. The adapter was back to its previous state. I plugged it in and got the same error. I decided to try plugging 2 of my other usb wifi adapters in, the ones I never modded or opened. I received the same error message. I thought that I killed my usb port. So I tried every other usb port I have and still I got the error messages. Basically, every other usb device works in any port. My keyboard, mouse, flash drive, they all work everywhere, in my native windows, or backtrack booted from a livecd. I tried inserting the adapters through a booted backtrack, and got the following dmesg error messages:

usb 1-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7

usb 1-6: device descriptor read/64, error -32

usb 1-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8

usb 1-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9

usb 1-6: device not accepting address 9, error -32

usb 1-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 10

usb 1-6: device not accepting address 10, error -32

So to sum up, after apparently improperly modding my usb adapter, I inserted it, and it has done something to all of my usb ports, that now disallows them to detect any of my usb wifi adapters properly, no matter what OS my machine is running.

I went to my friend's house and tried the adapters there, they all worked.

I have been suggested to purchase a pci usb hub. I am about to try doing that, though I am not sure if that will solve the problem. I dont even know if pci usb hubs are detected in linux, because though I have windows installed mainly, I use linux from live cds a lot and will not do without usb wifi support through the pci usb hub. Someone please help and suggest things I could try. Thank you.

posting not editing to keep this topic fresh, I have to add something as well, that I had noticed just now.

I have a usb printer, and it doesnt work now as well. The trend I see here is that power hungry devices (printer and wifi adapter) dont work on my computer's usb ports. Hope this helps.