OMG all my music gone from my ipod HELLPPPPPP

hakgipc

They are all about the same. It all depends on how long you have been useing the mahine since you deleted the file and what you have done with the machine since you deleted the file.

The more files you moved around or changed the less chance you have of recovering the folder you deleted

/me asks the 2nd most asked system administrator question

Why didn't you keep a backup?

You could give ntfsundelete a try, ntfsundelete is part of the collection of Linux ntfs utilities called ntfsprogs. I say have a go because I never managed to recover any deleted files with it, even ones where it reported that all the data of the file is still there.

The linux based stuff is good but it takes to long to download and iso, burn it, and boot it just to get so command line undeleter. It is much easier to download a freeware undeleter to an external drive and use that. I the mean time don't do anything to the drive.

The linux based stuff is good but it takes to long to download and iso, burn it, and boot it just to get so command line undeleter. It is much easier to download a freeware undeleter to an external drive and use that. I the mean time don't do anything to the drive.

You should feel ashamed if you don't have any Linux distro installed :P

ntfsprogs is in both openSuSE and the Ubuntu repositories (and is even included on the Live distro of Ubuntu). You really have no excuse for complaining about having having to 'get Linux working' just to use a single command line tool. :D

You know, when you realise you just made the mistake of deleting something you really shouldn't have and your using windows. You need to force power off as quick as you can, holding the power button for 5 or so seconds is usually ok.

Forcing power off is good in this instance because it reduces the chance that windows over wrote the data of the deleted files.

You know, when you realise you just made the mistake of deleting something you really shouldn't have and your using windows. You need to force power off as quick as you can, holding the power button for 5 or so seconds is usually ok.

Forcing power off is good in this instance because it reduces the chance that windows over wrote the data of the deleted files.

once you do this go to your friends house and download a undeleter to a jump drive. Then boot into safe mode and run it.

once you do this go to your friends house and download a undeleter to a jump drive. Then boot into safe mode and run it.

mmmm... no... you don't want to boot windows again. You need to boot another OS (it could be Windows on another computer, but I wouldn't trust that), most likely Linux. Then try all the fun data recovery stuff.

I'm with Sparda one this one. The process is something like this:

1. Cut a power cord in 2, plug it into the wall socket and then lick the now exposed wire on the other side of it. Both as punishment to yourself and because you'll probably need the energy. (optional)

2. Get your hands on a live CD with system recovery tools.

3. Replace the power cord since you cut yours up in step 1.

4. Replace the fuse you blew in step 1.

5. Boot from the Live CD, and try to recover what you can from the filesystem.

6. Become hopelessly depressed and disappointed with yourself over the files you were unable to recover. Rejoice over the emo tracks you did manage to save.

7. Learn from this event. Work on backing shit up and thinking twice before you throw stuff away.

8. Turn off the machine and lick that cut and plugged in wire again to recharge.

10. Done.

I'm with Sparda one this one. The process is something like this:

1. Cut a power cord in 2, plug it into the wall socket and then lick the now exposed wire on the other side of it. Both as punishment to yourself and because you'll probably need the energy. (optional)

2. Get your hands on a live CD with system recovery tools.

3. Replace the power cord since you cut yours up in step 1.

4. Replace the fuse you blew in step 1.

5. Boot from the Live CD, and try to recover what you can from the filesystem.

6. Become hopelessly depressed and disappointed with yourself over the files you were unable to recover. Rejoice over the emo tracks you did manage to save.

7. Learn from this event. Work on backing shit up and thinking twice before you throw stuff away.

8. Turn off the machine and lick that cut and plugged in wire again to recharge.

10. Done.

Cooper, I tried this because I deleted some of my own files... Is it normal to suddenly faint in the middle of the day for oh... say.... about four times a day for a week afterward?

Also, how could you be such a n00b? To those whom try this, Cooper forgot a step. Before beginning, place small pieces of cotton in your ears, as this will absorb most of the blood. :D