Terminal not working properly

darkangie

Hi everyone

Please be patient as I am a total noob to this stuff. 

I have just got a Wifi Pineapple mk VII with the adapter.  I have gone and set things up without a hitch except that when I try to get a terminal.  The terminal doesn't have a normal prompt but it has a colored patchwork of things that I am sure is an an outline of the words "wifi pineapple' but it can't be read easily (does that even make sense?  I hope so).

I can't type in the terminal at all and I have mucked around with 'appearance' but I can't make this terminal usable.  I am connected to the pineapple via cable, I using Parrot OS so I'm not doing anything outlandish I think.  Firmware is 1.1.1 so I think it is updated.

Does anybody know how I can fix this so that I can get using it?

I guess that the web based terminal (the one available in the Pineapple web UI) is OK. Try that and verify that it looks OK and not "distorted". Just to make sure it's all related to your local terminal in ParrotOS. I'm not a regular ParrotOS user, and I haven't heard/seen anything like this here on the forums or on Discord. It sounds like it's ParrotOS related though. I've been using the Pineapple terminal (ssh and serial) in many different distros and never had any problems. Have you tried any other OS than ParrotOS? Can you provide a screen shot of how it looks like?

Thanks for the reply.  The terminal that I'm referring to is in the Pineapple, not the Parrot terminal.  I have attached two screenshots.  I must admit I haven't tried this on another distro and I really want it to work in Parrot.  I can use Kali I suppose but I'm thinking this piece of hardware should work with Parrot.  There are two shots, one when I first booted it up and the other came after a minute or two and was the one that I was talking about yesterday. 

I hope that someone has a solution for this because I have everything set up on this Parrot distro.

Thanks for taking the interest.

DA

PS:  Is it me or do I have to have images on a url to upload them?  I can't see anyway to upload a screenshot? 

OK, so it's in the web based terminal in the Pineapple UI. Might be browser related then.

The reason to why you can't upload files is probably because you have made too few posts. I think it's 5 (or such) before you can upload stuff. A link to screenshots uploaded to some pic service might work as an alternative.

Thanks for you reply.  This is indeed a browser problem.  I first of all tried it in windows with Firefox in windows and the terminal works fine.  As it should.  FF version is 91.10.0esr, which is exactly the same version in Parrot.  I then went back to Parrot and used the supplied Chromium browser and the terminal works fine, so the issue is the installed version of FF in Parrot.  I have no idea what is different from the windows FF as the version numbers are the same.  I went and downloaded the tarball from Mozilla and installed this in addition to the installed version.  It gives me another FF but, like the installed one, has "Firefox for Parrot" in the 'about' section even though I installed it as a separate version.  This one also picked up my existing profile.  Same problem with the terminal.

I have no idea how to make this work properly and I really don't want to use Chromium even if it is ungoogled. 

Any ideas on what could help would be very appreciated.

A

Open the Web Shell, click the cog next to the Web Shell tab. Select some theme or use custom settings. The terminal window should show as expected (at least showing content). You might need to close the Web Shell and open it again to get the new settings loaded.

Thanks for that reply.  But I have mucked around with those settings to no avail.  Unfortunately I can't have a go at it today because for no reason I can't now get into the pineapple as its returning me "Invalid Credentials" when I try to log in.  I'll be posting elsewhere about this issue and when I get that solved I'll come back to this.

Back again after a trying afternoon sorting this device out.  This suggestion didn't work unfortunately.  I'll have to have a go at it later as just sorting out the other issue has used up my available time today.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Probably not the same, but I have found the web shell to be highly prone to the issue where text will get jumbled up while typing, and I have to clear it. I prefer SSH for this reason and only use the web shell for simple commands and when it's not worth switching back and forth. 

Thanks for that added insight into this problem.  I did a quick purge and then reinstall of firefox with the same result.  It works with chromium so I'll go with that for the moment.  I'm switching everything to qubes in the next month or so so it will be operating in a different environment anyway.  I may run it in parrot or most likely kali in qubes. 

I was going to reinstall Parrot which would have been a bit time consuming so chromium will do, and it works.  I thank everybody for replying to my pleas for help.

If I still have parrot on a usb I'll give it a go as a live instance and see how it goes on the weekend.

Archived