Bash Bunny mk2 not working

Jstrong

I tried updating with the bash bunny updater and it failed about halfway through. Now it’s not showing up. I tried to do a factory reset but after I unplug it 3 times and leave it in on the 4th, it flashes the “police” pattern once, goes to green, about 5 seconds later it flashes magenta once, then flashes blue. After that it opens and none of the folders that were there are gone and it show 4 different folder: FOUND.000, languages, System Volume Information, and tools.

Not sure I fully understand your issue.

First you say

2 hours ago, Jstrong said:

Now it’s not showing up

Then you say

it show 4 different folder: FOUND.000, languages, System Volume Information, and tools

So, is it not showing or does it show something?

Then I don't understand this

After that it opens and none of the folders that were there are gone

Are things gone or aren't they? Reading that sentence, it tells me that everything that was there before is still there.

Regarding the Bash Bunny Updater, what exactly did it fail on?

The factory reset procedure might fail due to the fact that the restore image is missing on the Bunny. Some had it missing from factory, but that was a while ago and didn't affect that many devices as I've heard.

Sorry that was a typo. I meant “not” showing up as a bash bunny. So instead of the loot, payloads, etc. folders that normally would show, there is only those 4 folders that I mentioned earlier (I’ve never seen them until this happened). As far is the updater, around 50-60%, it just said “updating failed.. try again”

The "tools" and "languages" folders should normally show, so that's not odd at all. "System Volume Information" will be created as soon as you insert the Bunny into a Windows box in arming mode or ATTACKMODE STORAGE (so that the udisk will be mounted to the Windows system). "FOUND.000" usually appears when some chkdsk activity has been executed. My guess is that the Bunny hasn't been safely removed for some reason at some point.

The updater runs in stages, i.e. first run it executes one thing (can't remember exactly the sequence now), next time it's executed (after Bunny reboot) it does something else, etc. It's a bit difficult to troubleshoot without having the full output of the update process you are experiencing.

All in all, if it was me, I would probably make sure that there's actually a firmware recovery file on the Bunny and then also reformat the udisk since you seem to have issues with that storage device/partition for some reason. That involves a bit of a risk and you have to consider that risk and decide if you have the knowledge to do it. I.e. if you chose to walk down that path, you do it at your own risk. However, if you are skilled enough, it's not big thing at all. The other alternative is to create a support ticket and ask for official support.

This is how you check and take action if the firmware recovery file is missing on the Bunny

Then you (probably) need to reformat the udisk and that can be done by connecting to the Bunny using ssh or serial and issue the command; udisk reformat (make sure to safely eject it from Windows or any other host/target OS first) so that the Bunny isn't mounted to any computer ("eject" meaning "OS eject", not removing it physically from the host computer).

Archived