Unlocking GSM Phones

Sunari

hey guys,

I've been looking around on the internet doing some research on unlocking GSM phones. Just had a couple questions that werent really answered.

From what i've understood i basically need to figure out what the code is, now my doubt is this based on the phone itself? (genereated from the IEMI) or is it model/firmware specific?

Does anyone know of any programs that could brute force this?

Are there any risks in terms of ending up with a brick?

Im trying to unlock my Blackberry Pearl.

Any help with this would be awesome, i jsut dont really want to pay someone money for something like this.

yeah, i did some more research, its definatly based on the IMEI in my case (blackberry pearl 8100). beyond that though im not sure. I assume the code has to be generated through some algorythm.. any math geniuses up for a challenge? :P

I don't know about Blackberry phones, but for a lot of makes and models it's quite easy. You can find applications to generate codes from the model, IMEI and operator but these only work on some phones. A data cable or unlocker clip will be required for those that don't support the codes.

Okay, I'll admit it, I'm a COMPLETE AND UTTER cellphone newb.

I own one because my company thinks it impresses customers (idiots), and for the most part I don't use it. People prefer sending me emails because they're more likely to get a prompt response from me that way.

Having gotten that out of the way, just what exactly is it about a phone that you would want to unlock?

Okay, I'll admit it, I'm a COMPLETE AND UTTER cellphone newb.

I own one because my company thinks it impresses customers (idiots), and for the most part I don't use it. People prefer sending me emails because they're more likely to get a prompt response from me that way.

Having gotten that out of the way, just what exactly is it about a phone that you would want to unlock?

If you buy the phone from carrier link Cingular(ATT) or Nextel or Verision they lock the phone so you can ONLY use it with them... if you unlock the phone then you can use it with anyone on the same band/frequency.

And why would you want that? Don't you guys do roaming calls and what have you, where it picks the strongest network it can access, and that network routes the call to wherever it should?

I dont know about in the states, but up north in Canada, the providers tend to be very competitive, and since my company isnt paying for my phone :P I want to use a different network, because they offer much better pricing (by the second billing, rather than by the minute)

It will still work on any tower (with the correct band) but it means that you can only use the service provider who locked it. The iPhone will be locked so you can't buy it and then go use Version so you have to pay monthly to Cingular

Well, that kinda makes sense of course. They're giving you an expensive phone for free when you sign up with them. Obviously they want to recoup the cost of the phone itself via the usage fees.