Can't update new Lan Turtle

allinarush

I get an error  and a lanturtle.com web address followed by No updates available. I try to manually  update it, but when I try to use a local path it says no such file or directory available. I need to be able upload the file via SCP from C:/users/me/downloads. 

Any help would be great.

What Turtle firmware version are you on at the moment? (Showing in the top left corner of the Turtle text based UI, or cat /etc/turtle/VERSION  )

What error text do you get?

What local path are you referring to? On the Turtle?

Uploading using SCP shouldn't be any issue. Make sure you are connected to the Turtle and get an IP address from the Turtle on the local machine to which the Turtle is attached.

https://docs.hak5.org/lan-turtle/faq-troubleshooting/manual-upgrade

Firmware version 1. That Turtle must have been tucked away since it was bought ages ago.

You're trying to access the Windows file system from the Turtle. To do it from the "Turtle side" you need an ssh daemon/server on your Windows box (and run scp in another way). Do it from the Windows machine instead. Assuming you have an updated Windows 10 installation, you have scp available without installing anything extra.

Open a terminal on the Windows PC and position yourself in the file system where the Turtle bin file is located (probably the Downloads folder of the user you downloaded the bin with). Then run (on the Windows machine with the Packet Squirrel connected):

scp turtle-6.bin root@172.16.84.1:/tmp/

Then ssh into the Turtle and run:

sysupgrade -n /tmp/turtle-6.bin

The upgrade should start and run for about 5 minutes.

The error message you get when trying to run the update from the Turtle text based UI is probably because you have a really old firmware installed at the moment.

root@turtle:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                        4.6M      4.5M     28.0K  99% /
/dev/root                  10.3M     10.3M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                        30.0M     76.0K     30.0M   0% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock3       4.6M      4.5M     28.0K  99% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay   4.6M      4.5M     28.0K  99% /
tmpfs                       512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev

Archived