DVD to AVI, need some help.

Chalito

Hey guys, i'm looking for a app that will convert my vob files to AVI or WMV files. Anyone have any good idea. I have the normal set of apps, DVD decrypter and dvd shirnk but I can't seem to find any app that will just convert them to AVI or WMV. Opensource would be great but if there is an easy paid version that will be fine too. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, i'm looking for a app that will convert my vob files to AVI or WMV files. Anyone have any good idea. I have the normal set of apps, DVD decrypter and dvd shirnk but I can't seem to find any app that will just convert them to AVI or WMV. Opensource would be great but if there is an easy paid version that will be fine too. Thanks in advance.

Virtual Dub and AVISynth will do the job, along with XVID codec for compression + mpeg2 filters: http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/synth-vdub.htm

• 3 months later...

i use for encoding mencoder wich comes along with mplayer. It's the perfect all in one tool when it comes to rip stuff of a DVD or converting a VOB to avi or any format the encoder can handle.

After i rip stuff of a DVD i use ffmpeg to "fine tune" the file, since i rip the stuff with mencoder in the best possible quality. So ffmpeg acts as a shrinker and resizer. Sometimes gettin rid of small vdeo problems, too.

Well those are the 2 tools i use for encoding on Linux. Dont realy know how far both tools are ported to windows ( at least i know they are proted but dont know if you have the full support regarding codecs ( ffdshow should be in it. But i dunno bout h264 ))

Firstly i would use mplayer to get a info on the file : mplayer file.vob

So i can see wich audio tracks are there, how long etc.

Let's say we have only one audio track in AC3.

mencoder input.vob -ovc x264 -oac  copy -of avi -o output.avi    That would be the setting for mencoder to convert the vob to a simple avi file in h264 ( h264 is in my opinion the best codec to convert a vob or a DVD to before you start to encode the final file )

I think you do get what the commands are, but for those who read here who do not know : -ovc = output video codec ; -oac = output audio codec ; -of output format -o output ( ;)

So, after this i let ffmpeg handle the rest :

ffmpeg -i output.avi -vcodec xvid -s 640x480 -b ( what ever you want )1500 -acodec aac -ar 48000 -ab 128 -r 29 final.avi

Commands : -vcodec = video codec; -s = Size; -b = video bitrate; -acodec = audio codec; -ar = audio rate; -ab = audio bitrate; -r = framerate

That would for example how i would encode that file. In case of mplayer i recommend to read the online documentation since they have already some exaples for encoding in it for anything you could encode a file to.

In case of ffmpeg, you dont realy need a documentation. It's plenty to just type ffmpeg in the console and look up the commands you need.

Edit : As you can see, i dont encode the stuff directly to the final file wich i want to play. I use mencoder to convert it to something i can more easy reencode with ffmpeg. You could encode the whole thing with mencoder to the final xvid. But the commands for that are long and confusing ( well, for me at least )

You would have to go live -lavc lavcopts xvidblablubb with many : and other stuff wich only confuse you when you look for a wrong option wich causes an abort or mencoder to not even start. Therefore i encode to h264, copy the audio track and then do the rest with ffmpeg since i have a seperated command for almost any option i wnat to set.

I forgot to mention that a guy over on EpiZENter made an mencoder frontend optimized for the Creative Zen Vision: M. The main site is down for now, but the thread about the frontend is here. By the way, I am technofencer over there. I used to fence, as in swish, swish, clang, clang, clang, clang, swish.

dvdrip... install it via apt,smart or yum

dvdshrink can use it with wine.

Does dvdrip convert it to avi or other formats?

I have the perfect solution for you: Fairuse Wizard.

It's DVD ripping made EASY. You pick a file, pick the settings from a pre-set list (you can do your own) pick the type of avi you want, xvid etc, then click go. It'll ripp a dvd in a hour-ish usually. You can pick audio and sub tracks to add all at the start. Fantastic program and its entirely free. You can pay for the upgrade but tbh you won't need to.

you can find it here: http://www.fairusewizard.com/

I used to encode screeners and stuff many moons ago and tbh this proggie leaves you with an avi of almost aXXo (pro-ripper) level quality. Superb.