MAC Address/FTP/GPS ?

G-Stress

Hey guys had a couple ?'s on my mind. Figured I'd ask now before I forget and in one thread didn't know if it was a good idea to ask them all in the same thread but i'll give it a shot.

1. I have a Linksys wrt54gs was messing around with the access restrictions in the configuration. It will allow me to restrict a certain IP range, but my ? is, is it possible (it doesn't appear possible in this router) to in any router or with any 3rd. party app to restrict a 1 specific mac address on the network to only allow a certain ip range to it? For example I got one machine on my network and I only want it to get an ip between 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.20 and then the rest of my lan to get and IP 192.168.1.21/254?

2. If I have to machines on the lan I got 1 already setup for FTP and all that using IIS. If I setup a second machine... hmm I guess im just curious as to how to run it on a different port as far as IIS goes. I assume I would access it ftp://192.168.1.x:24 or whatever port number I decided to use? Just not sure how to tell IIS to use that port.

3. Last but not least GPS. Something i been thinking about for awhile. I'm looking for like a GPS bug something very very small I can insert inside my lap-top somewhere in the case where if it were ever stolen I could track it. I'm sure I can find something like that was curious if anyone else has given that any thought?

Thanks guys for any help/advice.

1. If your version has the ability to do the Firmware hack for Linux Flashing, you can use it to configure it any way you want. Check Google.

2. Not sure, but try Google.

3. CASE: The notebook itself, or the carrying case? If someone took he laptop, but left the carrying case somewhere, it would be of no use. Also, need to make sure it allways on and would require power. If modding the laptop, so when it is on it powers the GPS, you woulnd need room in the laptop shell somewhere, which is very limited, but could be done. Ask the guys over on www.hackaday.com because they do a lot of GPS mods, and they have one that logs data to a harddrive using a solar powered gps by itself. A mod of this would work for you. I would think having it built with the laptop to do the same thing but off the laptop battery would be the way to go, then write a batch to start each time the pc starts and periodically updates a remote server with its last position, say every 10 minutes. You would obviously kill this task when your running it yourself, but start it any time you walk away from the laptop.

Also, make it so it will auto start in safe mode or after booting (Before you login), so no one can defeat it from starting except you. Make it a service, so it will allways start with the pc and password protect it. Also, try Google.

@ digip

Thanks alot man. To ? 1 are you referring to the wr-ddt or hyper wrt something like that? If so yea my router is capable of that and I plan on doing that upgrade soon as I get another router.

To ? 2, yea I haven't googled yet it was just something on my mind last night and I was tired I will google that this weekend.

To ? 3 man you gave me plenty of useful information more then I thought about. I figured there would be a device kinda like a bug (something you might see in a movie) that would be about the size of a dime or smaller and I could somehow tracking via gps. I'm definitely gonna talk to the guys at hackaday and possibly try out your method it sounds interesting :D Oh and yea I meant like placing a bug inside the actual system itself like under the keyboard or something.

suprised noone said this yet for your router see if it does IP reservatioons in the DHCP settings and reserve an IP for that mac address, if not then set your DHCP scope to start at 192.168.1.21 and on the machine that you want to use as a server give it a static IP addres of 192.168.1.1-20 and disable its DHCP from network settings the you can do what ever you want.

@ unasoto

Thanks alot man, that pretty much clears it up. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Currently my router (wrt54gs) doesn't support it, unless I just overlooked it, but I will be sure to make that change on my server machine. With this setup I should be able to reserver 1 IP for 1 specific MAC and it should always get that ip correct? Why I ask is because one machine on my lan I do not want accessing certain websites, like myspace and all that and I have made the necessary change in the access restrictions in the router filtering by mac, but for some reason occasionally that machine is still able to access those sites.

However if I restrict a certain IP range the security works fine, but this machine is my neighbor's so I cannot just go over there and set that machine staticly. Which is why I would like no matter what IP that machine gets those sites are still blocked.

Thanks again guys.

@ unasoto

Thanks alot man, that pretty much clears it up. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Currently my router (wrt54gs) doesn't support it, unless I just overlooked it, but I will be sure to make that change on my server machine. With this setup I should be able to reserver 1 IP for 1 specific MAC and it should always get that ip correct? Why I ask is because one machine on my lan I do not want accessing certain websites, like myspace and all that and I have made the necessary change in the access restrictions in the router filtering by mac, but for some reason occasionally that machine is still able to access those sites.

However if I restrict a certain IP range the security works fine, but this machine is my neighbor's so I cannot just go over there and set that machine staticly. Which is why I would like no matter what IP that machine gets those sites are still blocked.

Thanks again guys.

Was wondering, is your neighbor using your router without your permission? If so, he can allways change his mac address to get around MAC filtering. I do this all the time just because I don't like to use the same MAC address twice when I am on wireless network, just for secureity reasons. If he is using it without premission, set up some encryption on the router, like WEP/WAP (only they can be cracked) but most average users arent going to be getting in if they are running windows.

If you can see if he isnt changing his PC's name, then you can try to restrict it by Computer name on the server side. The logs will show each computers name as well as ip and mac address, so you might be able to do it with the netbios name of the pc, restricting it from only using what you want. Maybe assign him a static address based on his pc name and not just the MAC address.

@ digip

No I do have WPA2 TKIP encryption setup wirelessly I don't have any issues I've already had plenty of fun with Back|Track via wirelessly :D

My neighbor is using my router with my permission, it's just she pissed me off so I just want to block her from accessing certain websites I know she likes to access. I'm sure she doesn't know how to change her mac addy or pc name, but good thinking. I didn't think about restricting pc by netbios name. Not sure if my router will support that, but i'll look into it.

@ metatron

That does look like a pretty nice receiver, but yea the size might be a problem. I'm trying remember this one movie where an agent forget who the actor was, but they put some type of receiver/tracking device that was I believe smaller than a dime on someone's shoulder or in their hair and was able to track them via GPS I believe. It'd be nice if I could find something that small :)

I just might check out that receiver also, you said it works with *nix, I have Back|Track installed so I should be able to use it with that version? Also are you aware of any unit that works with the MAC OS Panther?

I got an ibook powerpc g3

600 mhz

128 mb of ram

I would like to find a unit that works with that just for work so I don't have to take my HP :D

That does look like a pretty nice receiver, but yea the size might be a problem. I'm trying remember this one movie where an agent forget who the actor was, but they put some type of receiver/tracking device that was I believe smaller than a dime on someone's shoulder or in their hair and was able to track them via GPS I believe. It'd be nice if I could find something that small :)

I just might check out that receiver also, you said it works with *nix, I have Back|Track installed so I should be able to use it with that version? Also are you aware of any unit that works with the MAC OS Panther?

I got an ibook powerpc g3

600 mhz

128 mb of ram

I would like to find a unit that works with that just for work so I don't have to take my HP :D

Yeah it should work with out any issues, I know at least 8 people that have the same GPS receiver and they have had no issues. I have another GPS receiver that works with my watch and tracks my movement when I go running, but even that is only a little smaller then the one I mentioned.

@ metatron

Excellent :D I shall order one for my ibook then. Is there any software you would recommend for Mac that will work with this receiver to guide you to specific addresses?

For windows I have the Microsoft Pharo's 2 I believe GPS unit and i used Streets n Trips 2007.