key cards

sideboom

i am getting sick of leaving my key car in my dorm or loosing it and am wonderning if there is a way /program that i can make copys of the key card with out spending $35 everytime myne goes missing or i loose it?

Can any one help me out on this one..

You'll first have to figure out what card it is, I'm guessing it's RFID, magnetic stripe or a smart card. Although there are others and many different variations of each type of card and proprietary systems etc. If you can't identify what type of card it is yourself then it would be helpful you could provide photos or at least a description of the card and the card reader.

Also you might want to check on the policy of your place of residence, you may have signed something about not attempting to circumvent the card system. Even though your only copying your own card (well you don't mention an intent to copy anyone elses...) there still could be some issues with doing this.

mml, I have a similar problem. I often go to my girlfriends school on the weekend, and she's on the top floor of her dorm. So for her to come and let me in is a real pain (mml, only a 3 min walk or so, but still). Her key cards are RFID, and with very little googling, I found out how to copy an RFID card, but seeing as how it is pretty expensive, I have not done it yet. You just need to figure out what kind of card it is, if its RFID then there is PLENTY of info out there for everything you need, but you'll end up spending about $150 or so to get it all togather.

Yes but if you get the equipment to can copy the new RFID credit cards... Or the new RFID passports, can you say free Identity?

Yes you can... as well as MANY other somewhat more legit uses, so all and all, its probably worth doing, at the very least becasue it would just be neat to have. But seeing as how you can copy and RFID tag from over 50 feet pretty easily... the uses are pretty unlimited

I think the best indicator for us would be for you to simply tell us how you use the card to get it. If you just touch it or get it close to the door and it clicks open.. its RFID, if you swipe it, its a magnetic strip.

Yeah, If it's RFID I can help you. I put a whole RFID system on a robot for Batelle and programmed it. I have 10 cards sitting next to me :D

Anyways, RFID is a system where you have cards, each one is unique. The cards have a 10 digit code on them which is read by the scanners, which I also have sitting next to me. When you swipe them it will read the code and match it. If it is RFID, you have no chance of copying it unless you get a hack to register a new unique code to their computer, or you're lucky enough to get one with the exact same number.

If you do swipe the card, you have some other odds. I'm not sure about their use.

a friend of mine has a card reader hooked up to the door lock on his server room/closet and he used my California drivers license so I swipe my DL and the door opens kool the card readers are not expensive the only thing on the mag strip is whats on the front, and its not encrypted.

a friend of mine has a card reader hooked up to the door lock on his server room/closet and he used my California drivers license so I swipe my DL and the door opens kool the card readers are not expensive the only thing on the mag strip is whats on the front, and its not encrypted.

Ah, good. So if I know who you are I have full access to the room beyond this door?

DUDE I'M so going to do this!!!

Don't. Get a lock that's operated by a smart card (one of those things with a chip on the surface of 'em). That chip plaque you see should be considered as a the cores of a network cable to a computer inside the card, that's been beaten flat. The machine on the other side is really basic, and VERY secure.

Add a file to the filesystem (filenames are 32-bit HEX values) and place a private key on it. Let the machine inside the room have the certificate that goes with it, and have the card (and/or the machine attached to it) sign or encrypt some data it sends to the machine inside. It can verify and/or decrypt this data with the public key and thus REALLY be sure that it's your smartcard that's been inserted (and for security's sake we'll just assume you're still the one who possesses that card at that time.

I have codes for RFID if needed. They're really easy too.

Those security tags are pretty neat. I wasn't able to get one for the robot from the funds given.

I also have a turret I made (Working bugs out of program), that targets people and it points a laser on them. I'm sure you could replace the laser with something different.... Or make it a class V laser =) Lasers are better than shotguns =D Either that or plasma phasers!!! Then I'd just need a cold fusion reactor. Oh the possibilities

Ah, good. So if I know who you are I have full access to the room beyond this door?

if you know the info on the magnetic stripe on my DL yes but do you know where that door is? and if you've got my info then I've got bigger problems than an oversize closet full of old computer stuff :P