What could i make with

Deadoll07

A stereoscopic webcam with audio and night vision (if you have the remote).

Use the reciever... for... a... remote control, add a couple of old motors connected to the parallel port and have the stereoscopic webcam on a base that can tilt/pan.

Well, the reciever could be paired with a remote so you could control a base for the cameras... so, with a couple of motors and a driver circuit you could use the receiver to send remote control commands to the motors which would move the cameras.

Well it's highly unlikely that something ripped from a (toy?) car is going to be suitable for use with a parallel port because a monitor port isn't supposed to run motors, hence the need for a controller.

Ok, there's a bunch of stuff you could do... you could have maybe 2 static cameras (the easiest option) pointing different ways, you could add night vision (google some combination of words containing 'camera' 'webcam' 'ir' 'infra-red') and add an infra red light source (BSoD did something about this some time ago www.bsodtv.org).

You don't need the motors, it'll be a lot easier without them in fact. Anyway, with this done, you could have the machine record video, or perhaps upload pics somewhere or host them so you could have mobile CCTV...

A normal webcam isn't likely to be very well designed to pick up the IR light you'll naturally have radiated from hot things either. You can take the IR filter off some webcams to make them pick it up a bit better, but I still doubt you'll see anything in a dark room.

(As moonlit said in the post above he posted as I was writing this, you'll need a source of IR illumination, I think moonlit may have been joking when he suggested using a remote IR LED for night vision (if that's what he was suggesting), it's not very powerful).

I think moonlit may be joking somewhat when he suggests using the IR LED from a remote to illuminate anything... it's not a very intense beam. A normal webcam isn't likely to be very well designed to pick up the IR light you'll naturally have radiated from hot things either. You can take the IR filter off some webcams to make them pick it up a bit better, but I still doubt you'll see anything in a dark room.

Semi-joking... you can make a decent IR light source with enough IR LEDs, but there has to be a big enough number before you get any decent brightness. A single remote control won't be anywhere near bright enough though, and it only comes on when you press a button... ;)

I'd say most webcams are either IR-sensitive or could be made so with some effort, so that's not much of an issue.

Semi-joking... you can make a decent IR light source with enough IR LEDs, but there has to be a big enough number before you get any decent brightness. A single remote control won't be anywhere near bright enough though, and it only comes on when you press a button... ;)

I'd say most webcams are either IR-sensitive or could be made so with some effort, so that's not much of an issue.

Well I have tried that before, I had 12 IR LEDs, but I still didn't get much out of them, I think maybe if one were to use a lens and/or parabolic reflector you might get a more focussed and more effective beam of light.

I'd say most webcams are either IR-sensitive or could be made so with some effort' date=' so that's not much of an issue.[/quote']

Well I have tried that before, I had 12 IR LEDs, but I still didn't get much out of them, I think maybe if one were to use a lens and/or parabolic reflector you might get a more focussed and more effective beam of light.

Yeah, a lense will definitely help, and it also depends on the intensity of the LEDs you use. Get the good ones and a lense and you should be (very) good to go.

As far as I can tell on that page, the only dark shot was the keyboard, and you'd probably want to be able to see farther than 10cm away.

Edit: Assuming that is the aim, just an IR camera for situations when there is light is still pretty cool.

Brighter LEDs, more LEDs, a lense, don't use a remote control as the light source (because a remote pulses the light so it's never as bright as an LED fully on).

Edit: I really do recommend watching whichever episode or BSoD (see link earlier) it is that Foxx plays with IR, I forget which one but it's interesting and relevant.