Evil Portal not forwarding client to the landing page

chris2008

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong. I have set up the Evil Portal. Everything seems to be ok as I can see the preview on my portal library. However, when I connect to the Client AP using my mobile phone it connects perfectly and provides WiFi. My problem is, however, that I don't get forwarded to the landing page on connection?

Chris

What firmware is your Mark VII running on? Not that it really should matter, but I need to ask. What client devices are you connecting to the Pineapple AP? Tried just one (the phone), or several different ones? I've done this operation a fair number of times and it shouldn't be any problem with a standard setup.

That was what I discovered as well now. As I said before, Evil Portal hasn't given me any headache, but I tried from scratch now since you had problems and I used the fresh 2.0.0 beta install and I get the same result as you do. The module seems to start the nginx server though and the iptables rules are added, but for some reason it isn't working as intended. I haven't had time to dig deeper into it right now, but something seems to have changed with the firmware beta that affects the module.

33 minutes ago, chris2008 said:

Yes, and now for some reason it won't go back to the 1.1.1 😕

I'm having the same problem

20 minutes ago, dark_pyrro said:

What procedure are you following to get it back to 1.1.1?

I'm unlugging the power > holding the button for 7 seconds > red light flashes 3 times > leave button go. Apparently I should go to 172.16.42.1:1471 and it will let me put in the restart bin file. The problem is it disconnects my wifi so can't get into 172.16.42.1:1471 ... please help

1 hour ago, zammo said:

The problem is it disconnects my wifi so can't get into 172.16.42.1:1471 ... please help

OK, then the WiFi issues you mentioned in your first post isn't relevant to the scenario.

Did you assign the computer with a static IP address in the 172.16.42.0/24 range?

33 minutes ago, dark_pyrro said:

Back to the Evil Portal thing and 2.0.0 beta, I think it has to do with some nginx change. Perhaps some new package/version for OpenWrt 21.02.1 that introduces something that Evil Portal doesn't seem to like.

Quoting myself.... The reason (or one of them) that Evil Portal (EP) doesn't want to play ball using the 2.0.0 beta firmware is that there's a package missing; libblobmsg-json

There are other possible problems as well, but EP is at least working.

8 minutes ago, dark_pyrro said:

OK, then the WiFi issues you mentioned in your first post isn't relevant to the scenario.

Did you assign the computer with a static IP address in the 172.16.42.0/24 range?

Yes, I set it up as 172.16.42.42 like it says, but when I go to 172.16.42.1 it tells me 'You're not connected to the internet'

Just now, dark_pyrro said:

Well, aside from not really needing to switch between different forum user accounts, that probably has nothing to do with the Pineapple itself.

I had to do that to answer you. It was only letting me post 5 messages a day for some strange reason. It seems a waste of money. All I see is people calling it a piece of shit. I now agree. Limiting to 5 posts is obviously a way to shut us up. Well they can't shut me up on twitter, facebook and a youtube video. Thanks for trying but it's going in the bin as soon as I record my video showing it for what it is.

Archived