Bullying over the internet

FragUPlenty

I was reading an article entitled bullying making head way on the internet and was wondering how the hell it is possible to bully someone over the internet anyway heres the article

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/sch...1455722274.html

Plus I wouldnt advise trying to bully someone here over the internet or the person doing the bullying might have his computer doing some strange things.

There are people on the Internet who are gullible enough to listen to, and believe, the Idiots on the Internet.

At this point I would like to cite a conversation I had with some one not too long ago:

[21/02/2007 17:12:02] Boris says: hello

[21/02/2007 17:12:11] <removed> says: hi hows you ?

[21/02/2007 17:12:41] <removed> says: ?... i need some advice

[21/02/2007 17:12:50] Boris says: ok...

[21/02/2007 17:14:26] <removed> says: well... do you know how i can fuck with his guy as he keeps telling me hes '31773' and all that shit and he hosts team speaks and is there anyway i can DoS him or somthing liek that ? also he sent me this http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/4359/owneduy8.jpg

[21/02/2007 17:16:09] Boris says: and?

[21/02/2007 17:16:47] <remove> says: and is there anything i can do as hes hosting teamspeaks so got ports open and using nortan and hes a noob ?

[21/02/2007 17:20:52] Boris says: I think you have been conned

[21/02/2007 17:21:14] Boris says: You relies it's so easy to make that image in Paint of all things

[21/02/2007 17:21:24] Boris says: and people can say wtf they want on the Internet

[21/02/2007 17:21:35] <removed> says: i know ... that why i want to mess with his as hes telling load people hes '1337'

[21/02/2007 17:22:22] Boris says: and that I think you are a r8 big noob for wanting to attack him based on evidence that is so easily forged by any one with next to no knolage

[21/02/2007 17:22:50] Boris says: and even evidence that doesn't exsist

btw. I get have conversations like that usually once a month.

Bullying over the internet tends to take the form of groups of kids who talk to eachother across MSN, calling people names and uploading embarrassing (photoshopped) images of their target.

There was a pretty cool anti-bullying commercial on the TV here a few months ago. There was this pretty standard young blonde girl. Aged 13-14 or something. Doing the fun things you'd expect girls that age to do, having fun doing it. But as she's doing it you can hear her voice-over something like "You really make me want to puke, with your ugly face, and tomorrow after school me and my friends are going to beat the CRAP out of you". Ending with you seeing the girl behind the computer, devilishly lit, with mom sitting on a couch in the background, reading a magazine, blissfully unaware that her miss perfect just did something to make someone else's life miserable.

Another cool one they had was on the radio. It starts with a narrator saying "The sound you're about to hear is someone cussing someone else into oblivion" (the actual dutch language is a bit stronger) followed by the sound of someone tapping away on a keyboard.

The internet is just another medium for the same stuff everyone has dealt with in school and beyond. Anytime people get together all the same personality types of real life will become apparent. This is amplified with the illusion of anonymity. This can be good in the case of creativity with out shame as can be seen in a lot of online poetry or podcasting. Or it can be bad in the case of bullies and jerks seeking out people to mess with even going as far as to include sex crimes into that anonymous bubble.

A friend of mine who is really into studying human nature once told me "Only when a person thinks they can not be seen or known will there true nature be available. People hide behind so many layers to fit into there piece of the world that they are never able to really be themselves."

So in the end it comes down to the 2 basic rules that everyone should follow and a quote. Be yourself no matter what. Be kind to everyone the best you can and remove yourself from anyone not responsive to this. and the quote "To care what others think is to be controlled by them." 3 little tidbits to get you through the internet and school.

The internet is just another medium for the same stuff everyone has dealt with in school and beyond. Anytime people get together all the same personality types of real life will become apparent. This is amplified with the illusion of anonymity. This can be good in the case of creativity with out shame as can be seen in a lot of online poetry or podcasting. Or it can be bad in the case of bullies and jerks seeking out people to mess with even going as far as to include sex crimes into that anonymous bubble.

A friend of mine who is really into studying human nature once told me "Only when a person thinks they can not be seen or known will there true nature be available. People hide behind so many layers to fit into there piece of the world that they are never able to really be themselves."

So in the end it comes down to the 2 basic rules that everyone should follow and a quote. Be yourself no matter what. Be kind to everyone the best you can and remove yourself from anyone not responsive to this. and the quote "To care what others think is to be controlled by them." 3 little tidbits to get you through the internet and school.

I could not have put it better myself. Well said my friend.

they are all my fanboi's just trying to live upto my name.

[21/02/2007 17:14:26] <removed> says: well... do you know how i can fuck with his guy as he keeps telling me hes '31773' and all that shit and he hosts team speaks and is there anyway i can DoS him or somthing liek that ? also he sent me this http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/4359/owneduy8.jpg

If he were that good he wouldn't be on p2p at all.

Man the other day at uni orientation some IT person asks "what do i do if i am getting bullied?". I accidentally let out a little chuckle and everyone tuned to me waiting for a reply.... So i gave em one. "If your still getting bullied in your final years of school let alone uni you must be one very weak person." About half agreed with me and the other half went back to there windows vs linux arguments.

Man the other day at uni orientation some IT person asks "what do i do if i am getting bullied?". I accidentally let out a little chuckle and everyone tuned to me waiting for a reply.... So i gave em one. "If your still getting bullied in your final years of school let alone uni you must be one very weak person." About half agreed with me and the other half went back to there windows vs linux arguments.

So you think once a person reaches a certain age they should suddenly become immune to coordinated physical or psychological abuse? In fact with psychological abuse especially can be difficult to deal with, since it's often harder to do something about. Many people are told the old sticks and stones thing when they are growing up, so they feel like if they report it nothing will be done. Some countries have laws to protest against workplace bullying, do you think those laws are unnecessary then? What do you think brought about those laws?

As a carpenter at work I have been and seen many apprentices being bullied at work. It's no issue for me because I am a bit of an angry little bugger so I go right back at them and that usually sorts most arseholes out but alot of kids are too scared to do anything and just cop it through fear of getting sacked. I'm not dure it is right to call people weak because they don't want to be bullied. Sure alot really only need to stand up for themselves but many, after years of copping shit, just can't

I used to get bullied at school*, then one day someone threw my school bag off of the table. Something inside my head went "click" and I hit them in the face with a chair. Funnily enough I wasn't beaten up after that.

My advice if your being bullied, tell your teachers. If they do nothing, as they most likely will, beat the shit out of who ever is bullying you with the first heavy object you can bring to hand. And then, when the teachers complain, ask them why they did nothing when you came to them for help.

* as in gangs of 30 people chasing me down and taking it in turns to beat me up, school books torn up, food spat in etc

Bullying some loser kid from Pennsylvania on a forum resulted in me getting banned.

Stupid faggot.

Yeah that's not offensive at all :roll:

I am all for free speech but i kind of draw the line at public racial slurs.

.... while I agree with you, you need to get a dictionary, because being a faggot has nothing to do with race...

Wrong use of a word but you got the point. To me that word is right there with the N word meaning to me its a racial slur which has a lot more impact than Discriminative term.

Yeah, I can understand how calling someone a noob can be such a offensive word. lol

Wrong use of a word but you got the point. To me that word is right there with the N word meaning to me its a racial slur which has a lot more impact than Discriminative term.

Yeah, I can understand how calling someone a noob can be such a offensive word. lol

I call myself a noob.

Noob: def. Someone of less knowledge than another in a subject. See also newbie.

noob and newb(ie) are different terms noob is someone stupid who is unwilling to learn newb(ie) doesn't know but wants to learn

You should change your name to FlameBait. Correcting people for no other reason other to make yourself look smarter or better than someone else is pretty dumb. That being said i think i'll practice what i preach and just ignore you until you act like a normal person. Your obviously a smart dude. You might want to act like it.

noob and newb(ie) are different terms noob is someone stupid who is unwilling to learn newb(ie) doesn't know but wants to learn

You should change your name to FlameBait. Correcting people for no other reason other to make yourself look smarter or better than someone else is pretty dumb. That being said i think i'll practice what i preach and just ignore you until you act like a normal person. Your obviously a smart dude. You might want to act like it.

now who's flamebating? And I'm only correcting you because you seem to have a problem with English and the "DONATION"

and I already changed my name once I doubt VaKo would do it again for me... and if he would I would for SomeoneE1se

edit: Look google agrees! http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3An00b

Yes I edited the wrong post but I'm not going to fix the other one.

Bullying some loser kid from Pennsylvania on a forum resulted in me getting banned.

Stupid faggot.

Either you're for free speech or you are NOT. Second, public racial slurs are protected by free speech. Shouting fire in a crowded theater isn't. If it hurts your eyes to read the N word, turn off the internet, don't watch any movies, and throw away your TV set.

Stupid faggot.

Either you're for free speech or you are NOT. Second, public racial slurs are protected by free speech. Shouting fire in a crowded theater isn't. If it hurts your eyes to read the N word, turn off the internet, don't watch any movies, and throw away your TV set.

I'm all for free speech in all forms AND I'll even say nigger, nigga, and noob! I'm not racist in any way shape or form nor am I afraid of hurting someone's feelings, if it bothers you too bad ignore or walk away from me. Especially if it's the words I used and not the tone or intent.

Last post in this thread.

Do me a favor and go to a gay bar and call everyone faggots then walk up to a black guy and call him a nigger. While your at it just fire out a bunch of other slurs towards people. Get some video evidence of this and return back to the board. Then i'll agree with your free speech thing and explain while your bleeding from a few 100 holes the words Discrimination, defamation of character, common sense, and common decency.

BTW last time i checked free speech works both ways which means i can defend what i think is wrong. In my opinion for any half decent educated human being to walk around spouting off slurs in random directions because some where along the line they read the first amendment is just stupid. Anyone with half a brain a little bit of common sense knows yeah your protected in saying whatever the fuck you want (out side of terrorist threats) but they also know that it's pretty shitty to go around using these terms towards other people. See how that works. Just because you can doesn't mean you have to.

I'll defend my freedom of speech till the day i die but i will also defend the rights of any person to feel comfortable in a public place free of slurs and bullshit. Saying whatever the fuck you want in your own home is one thing but to take it public you run the risk of not only offending but also discriminating against someone for there beliefs or who they are. If you cool with that fine be an asshole and see where that gets you in life.

Thats the last thing i am saying on that subject. I have been trying to talk sense into people like you since i was in high school defending my friend who was gay from idiots that think throwing around the word faggot like dude or what's up is an acceptable thing to do. My friend was on the verge of suicide from people that thought it was ok to use that word and others. You can have free speech all you want but using it to hurt people or just because you think it's no big deal is pretty fucked up.

Also just a word of thought. The last time i heard a phrase similar to "If it hurts your eyes to read the N word, turn off the internet, don't watch any movies, and throw away your TV set." It was on a show for HBO a while back on the KKK talking about what blacks should do if they didn't like them in there town. Might want to chose your words a tiny bit better next time.

Just my opinions. Take them as you will. Freedom of speech is fun isn't it.