Server OS recomendations

Chalito

Hey guys, I recently came into possession of a spare PC, I would like to make it a server so I can get more familiar with server based Operating Systems. I was looking at Windows server 2003 but I don't want to spend to much money so I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good Linux opensource alternative. Anything that would allow me to have a stable and easy to use network for the family. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Guest TehHacks

OpenBSD will be the best option if you want air tight security, but if you have never used BSD before, i dont suggest it. maybe free freeBSD. Ubuntu or Debian would probably be the easiest. However if you just install the default Ubuntu LAMP server, its not very secure and you will have to spend a little time installing security updates/fixes ect.

OpenBSD will be the best option if you want air tight security, but if you have never used BSD before, i dont suggest it. maybe free freeBSD. Ubuntu or Debian would probably be the easiest. However if you just install the default Ubuntu LAMP server, its not very secure and you will have to spend a little time installing security updates/fixes ect.

Really? I was thinking about running US as a LAMP server, I might have to check out FreeBSD now.

Guest TehHacks

Really? I was thinking about running US as a LAMP server, I might have to check out FreeBSD now.

Its not terrible unsecure. Its just that you dont have full control of what is being installed on your system if you install LAMP as a bundle so inevitably this is where the exploits will be aimed. if you just installed ubuntu server with out LAMP already installed, then install ever thing you want manually, then it should be ok.

here is a good guide to setting up US: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_6.06

Its not terrible unsecure. Its just that you dont have full control of what is being installed on your system if you install LAMP as a bundle so inevitably this is where the exploits will be aimed. if you just installed ubuntu server with out LAMP already installed, then install ever thing you want manually, then it should be ok.

here is a good guide to setting up US: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_6.06

Well if it's just that if LAMP and its dependencies would be "vulnerable", then I should just be able to update whenever I need to and should be fine.

Guest TehHacks

Well if it's just that if LAMP and its dependencies would be "vulnerable", then I should just be able to update whenever I need to and should be fine.

Correct. US would be a good choice, if you keep on top of the updates. However OpenBSD is the industry standard if you want secure, if you want easy, then US is an excellent choice.

CentOS is easy to setup and use and I don’t mind it, but I prefer OpenBSD or Debian. Generally speaking OpenBSD is not as hard as people make out it just has a steep learning curve. If you can follow instructions there is no reason you can’t use OpenBSD.

http://www.openbsd101.com/

You sir, just for that link, are a star!

CentOS is easy to setup and use and I don’t mind it, but I prefer OpenBSD or Debian. Generally speaking OpenBSD is not as hard as people make out it just has a steep learning curve. If you can follow instructions there is no reason you can’t use OpenBSD.

http://www.openbsd101.com/

You sir, just for that link, are a star!

No problem. I would say it’s a lot less hassle installing OpenBSD then say Ubuntu as it only takes 5 minutes and it’s secure out of the box.