Help me decide - What to buy first?

failsafe

OK guys, I have a dilemma here .. I have a bit of cash to spend on some of our favourite Hak5 gear but I dont know what to get.   I've been put off buying the Wifi Tactical VII as I've heard a lot of negativity regarding the fact it's gotta short lifespan (being deemed obsolete like the nano which I only bought 2-3 years ago).  Because its simply OpenWRT with a UI for the attacks, as someone so eloquently put it; I could achieve the same with a raspberry pi 4 and some antennas *apparently* and since it's on raspian it's never gonna be obsolete.

Now that being said ... I love to support the Hak5 team because quite frankly, you're awesome!  And thanks for the years of great content.

So, the real question is, I have a Nano version 6 atm, so keeping that in mind what should I buy in order of importance and usefulness.  Trying to get the most out of my budget for now (it's about $500 but Im in the UK).

Would anyone be a gem and maybe shorthand the order / products and their basic uses?  I'll be watching tutorials in the meantime but just thought I'd pop in and ask for some help from the community as no one knows better than you guys!

Many thanks in advance guys!
Much love and respect to you all.

FS

You need to not just ask "what to buy" but also "why buying". What does the Hak5 ecosystem offer you and what do you want to achieve by using the products? Anyone here can suggest different products, but if those products doesn't match your desired use cases then it will most likely be a disappointment. If you have built up a kind of opinion against the Pineapple, then simply avoid it and use some other alternative setup. What you are missing when optin out from Hak5 gear is the ecosystem with a dedicated community and also things like Cloud C2 which adds functionality and opportunities that will be difficult to find using alternative products/setups. I also have to challenge the perception that you could do the same thing with a Raspberry Pi. You can, in terms of pure functionality, that's true. But you won't get the GUI, C2 connection, modules, etc. It will force you to spend some hours to achieve that as well as doing the puzzle of getting things to work as a whole unit. And, without disrespecting the value of money in any way, the Pineapple is not that expensive after all. To me, there is no "this or that" in terms of having to select any specific side. I have more or less all the Hak5 gear that is possible to buy (and that have been possible to buy since a fair amount of years back) and I'm not a "Hak5 only" person. If a Raspberry Pi does the job, I will use a Pi. If I need a laptop with Kali (or whatever), then that's the way to go. If the Pineapple is out of the scope of products to buy, then I would suggest getting the Bash Bunny. It's the device I probably use the most. But, then again, it all goes back to the "why". If the "why" isn't there, then the "what" is a bit hard to pinpoint and one could suggest almost anything and it could randomly turn out to be a hit or a miss.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/27/2021 at 3:58 AM, dark_pyrro said:

You need to not just ask "what to buy" but also "why buying". What does the Hak5 ecosystem offer you and what do you want to achieve by using the products? Anyone here can suggest different products, but if those products doesn't match your desired use cases then it will most likely be a disappointment. If you have built up a kind of opinion against the Pineapple, then simply avoid it and use some other alternative setup. What you are missing when optin out from Hak5 gear is the ecosystem with a dedicated community and also things like Cloud C2 which adds functionality and opportunities that will be difficult to find using alternative products/setups. I also have to challenge the perception that you could do the same thing with a Raspberry Pi. You can, in terms of pure functionality, that's true. But you won't get the GUI, C2 connection, modules, etc. It will force you to spend some hours to achieve that as well as doing the puzzle of getting things to work as a whole unit. And, without disrespecting the value of money in any way, the Pineapple is not that expensive after all. To me, there is no "this or that" in terms of having to select any specific side. I have more or less all the Hak5 gear that is possible to buy (and that have been possible to buy since a fair amount of years back) and I'm not a "Hak5 only" person. If a Raspberry Pi does the job, I will use a Pi. If I need a laptop with Kali (or whatever), then that's the way to go. If the Pineapple is out of the scope of products to buy, then I would suggest getting the Bash Bunny. It's the device I probably use the most. But, then again, it all goes back to the "why". If the "why" isn't there, then the "what" is a bit hard to pinpoint and one could suggest almost anything and it could randomly turn out to be a hit or a miss.

I saw this reply. I'm new to the site and the group. I started a small Managed Monitoring, detection and response company. We currently use some guys out of Israel to assist with Pentesting. However, we would like to be able to conduct basic review (pro bono even) which can upsell our other services. I would love your advice and which products you will recommend me purchasing - little effort but huge impact - to scare clients to using our services. 

Archived