bitlocker question which is just silly

Bob123

Question.  The company I work for is sooooo scared of getting a virus so they installed bitlocker on my machine.  I've had machines with bitlocker in the past and it is what it is.  But for some reason this time around they have it set so when I plug in a flash drive it says I need to allow bitlocker to encrypt it or I won't be allowed to write to it.  I can only read from the flash drive.  Is it just me or is this really stupid???  Just for shits I brought in a flash drive with a pdf manual on it and sure enough I could open it and copy it to the computer.  So how are we preventing viruses this way? 

Quick question,

Is the machine they installed bitlocker on actually your machine, or a machine that they have provided to you? Because if it's a machine they have provided, it honestly doesn't matter. Their hardware, their rules.

But yes if you can read from it but not write to it it doesn't do a damn thing to protect the machine either way....

Oh I totally agree Rkiver.  It's not mine so I don't care.  They are entitled to do whatever they want.  It just cracks me up that they specifically state they are protecting themselves from viruses by doing this.  It's comforting to know that the people who make more than me are really smart.  (Sarcasm) 

Hey 🙂

If the Boss' reason is that they want to prevent virus from hitting the workstations from evil usb / infected USB, Bitlocker is NOT going to help them in any way, not if you got read rights from any USB.

But, about the drive needed to be encrypted before you can write to it, that makes sense. You really don't want your employees transferring data to unencrypted USB sticks and taking them out of the office. But again, it doesn't protect against virus, it only protects against data leaks..

/NX

Archived