Learn to Foxtrot - Pineapple Wifi Mark 7 - Pure disappointment (Lets be honest) . Here we go again.

includeV

@Foxtrot

I am disappointed but not surprised at your 2nd attempt to shut me down, I mean closing a Topic after your comment. I mean seriously? Is your word final?

You are a representative of Hak5 and I expect your behaviour to be a little bit more professional. But I will do you the courtesy and address your comments.

"Old account"

I am no liar, I have explained my problem logging in  to a previous member (Jtyle6) and wish not to keep repeating myself. Telling me 100 times its not block or it works on my system does not help my cause. But anyway I have found a work around it. So its not an issue for me anymore.

"The forums are not customer support. They are a community driven resource"

Once a person buys a product/service [Pineapple] from a company [Hak5] they are classed as a "Customer"  ,  right? How else can they debug/test your product without purchasing it. So dressing it down as "community driven resource"  does not wash and I'm sure trading laws see it the same. We are customers period.

"and I do not appreciate you suggesting that the people on here who disagree with you are paid by us to do so"

Foxtrot, no member has commented/disagreed on any of my post and I have replied back saying they get paid from you [Hak5], this is a false statement by you. I have no idea, why you think you can twist a comment like that which is public and get away with it. Did you think I wouldn't pick up on it?

"We are an incredibly small team, and finding the time to reply to every forum thread is hard sometimes. Just because your thread didn't receive a staff reply doesn't mean it was ignored by us."

Yes it is very clear you are a small team, I think I called it in over your heads. Again, where are you getting this assumption that I am/was awaiting from a response from you/your staff?

But let's assume I was awaiting for a response, then yes you did "ignore my post". However you found the time to comment on "Thermostaten" . Do you not think if you wrote a comment  about the topic to the person who raised it, might make the person feel they are being listen to? Just a suggestion. A no response is assumed as being ignored. How are people meant to know what you and your staff read/ignore. So in this cause I dont buy the "I was too busy/small team" excuse, you clearly opted to not reply (ignore) the topic creator aka JuicyFruit.

"It seems very clear to me that JuicyFruit/includeV has had a poor experience with his device, and for that I am personally sorry that this was the case, - however -, some things need to be clarified:"

I do not accept you are sorry for my experience, otherwise you would have found the few seconds to reply (as above). Its only because I am making comments in these forum that you do not like you are replying and trying to shut me down.

"I feel like my post sufficiently sums up the points raised in this post"

Are you serious? You did not address a single post of my original post. Its taken you over a month to respond to everything I have posted except this topic!

Foxtrot (2 left feet)

I get the impression you are used to people telling you how "great you are" and not telling you how it is, and I sense a level of arrogance from you (from your response). If you had produced this device in any other company you would have been fired ages ago.

I'm not here to big up anyone's ego, the fact is the device design and concept is great. But the execution of it is poor, which does not reflect in the price.

Nor you or anyone can explain to me, how this device (3x the price of the Raspberry Pi) is anywhere near better. This is a clear attempt from you, to stop me posting negative (or  the truth) about the device or Hak5 behaviour. You cannot  tell me that this device is not over priced and buggy. I'd advise you to spend more time in the forums then hiding is discord as it looks as if your hiding.  I get a lot of people in my field asking me about the device, I have yet to recommend this device since purchasing it. Maybe one day, who knows.

I am happy/expect  you to close this topic and/or remove my account as you do.

This post is getting too personal. Being disappointed in the wifipineapple and raise bugs, concerns and lack of features is one thing. This post does none. I am too disappointed in the wifipineapple but it has become better with updates. 

I suggest Foxtrots does NOT honor this post with a replay.

Its clear, they dont have a team to beta test the device.

Are you talking about hardware or software? Probably software. A beta firmware exists, where people can opt-in and beta test the new firmware, so here the community can help them.

They rely on "paying" customer to test and report bugs that hardly get fixed. Have I missed something?

Bugs that hardly get fixed? For example what?

I am a paying customer and you want to brand the Pineapple a "Community project"!!!

The community can write modules, so this is probably where the "community project" comes from. The firmware and hardware is from Hak5, where you also have warranty on.
Example: My BashBunny had a broken USB plug on arrival, I made a short video demonstrating the issue, they sent me a new one without hesitation on the next day. 0 fees whatsoever. Honestly this is one of the best customer support you can ever wish for.
Obviously the payloads/modules which are community written don't have warranty on them, but this is clearly stated in their policy. This makes sense and is a google search away.

The support here is terrible.

This isn't official tech support here. It's a community forum.

Its only becuase I know a bit of linux, that I can make something of this device, something that was not sold to me as.

I agree that you can definitly get more out of the pineapple when you know linux, but there is an easy to use UI/UX which people can use who don't know linux.

How about the people, who are not linux strong and fell for the ease of use hype?

UI/UX. The pineapple isn't shell-only or anything like that.

Its only because of the type of customers they [Hak5] got who are willing to spend time/money helping, is why they get away with such poor service/products.

I agree that Hak5 has an awesome community which helps a lot of other people. So how did Hak5 get this community? By delivering awesome products! No company has a helpful community but shitty products, this wouldn't make sense.

People, a lot of hak5 device, and tools you can build yourself. Just get to know kali, the tools available and use a rasberry pi. There is nothing the thing can do, that a pi cant! Thats just a fact.

Yeah obviously you can all build it yourself. If you want, you can also write the firmware yourself. That's just a fact 🙂
Hak5 delivers not only hardware, but also software. The devices can be used out of the box and you don't have to program or build anything for them to work. That's the purpose of them.
On a raspberry pi, you probably have to build a lot of things on it (hardware) but also proram a lot of it (software) to get it working as a Hak5 product. So obviously you could do that, it just takes a lot of time.

If something sounds too good to be true (especially from hak5) then.... Invest in yourself, not hak5

That's just plainly not true. Take the key croc for example. I watched the advertisment they made and it sounded too good to be true, so I bought it. And guess what, the keycroc really is too good to be true. I have yet to hear about another keylogger which even comes close the key croc. It's overall just an amazing tool and I think the price is on the lower end for its abilities. Honestly, they could sell it for 150$ and it would be a fair price still. The only thing that's a bit overpriced IMO is the ducky (compared to its alternatives).
Investing in yourself is always a good idea, doesn't matter if Hak5 published a product or not.

It seems that the issue here could be one about expectation on what you have purchased. 

I can remember back to the old days of pineapples when they didn't have web user interfaces. 

I think that back then people had an expectation that to use the device you have to be tech savvy. (almost always meant knowing at least basic Linux commands)

On the new devices the easy of use comes with it a new type of customer who is not used to trouble shooting the device they are purchasing. Or they have the expectation that they shouldn't have to do any troubleshooting (if this is a right or wrong expectation I'm not sure)

It maybe should be made more clear that the pineapple is and always has been a hackers device. Here I mean hacker in the term of someone who wants to get down and dirty with finding out how things work and if needed changing code to make the device do what you need. 

All pineapples have been the same for many many years. Great ideas from the team with lots of talk about all of the cool things the team will bring with this new version (I mean Version 5 had an expansion port which was never used and when later asked about it the team said it wasn't an expansion port even though they produced videos of it and possible hardward expansion, as did the Tetra). Lookup "PineApple slices".

when WIFI-Krack attack came out in 2017 I can remember Darren saying that Seb has a working sample that would make it's way to Tetra and possibly Nano and nothing came of it. 

There was even talk of an HSTS possible work around also and again nothing. 

Usually these new ideas or possible new features come around the time of a new device being launched so maybe it's a marketing ploy, who knows. 

However I know what I'm getting when I buy and it's usually 50/50 if I'm usually underwhelmed when I get the device

So far the best device has been the Nano - which was the best device hardware package to date , and the V5 which had the best software - Also it was most capable of what it could do. That could be due to WPA2 being more prevalent and also HSTS being widespread, preventing a lot of the more direct attacks.

Like I said these devices are for those who want to get dirty and hack together something of their own. (create your own plugin for example)

They come with limited support from Hak5 who relies heavily on the community for plugins and possible extras.

All Hak5 devices are like this not just the PineApple and for the most part the majority of the community like it that way, as it keeps away those who wish to just push the big red button to own a network, as that then brings wider attention from those who do not have a genuine interest in security and wish to own their local coffee shop for phishing/ID fraud purposes.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived