Why is everyone so mad about how much Vista costs?

ferret

First off I am the only person that went out and spend the money to buy a real copy of xp(2 of them), while everyone else just used illegal copys. Including the entire country of China. Even my Mom only uses illegal copys. I have never meet one single person who went out and spent $200 on a real disk. Every computer store around where I live makes computers and puts pirate copys on them. One of them was just busted for doing this. My question is. Why is everyone so cheap? My Vista copy was $149. If I use this system for 5 years that would equal to about $30 a year. Well worth the price if you like windows products. Which I do. Even with Linux, I spend the $1.50 per disk to buy the distros. Why not give back to the guys who work hard to bring you free stuff. My point is that I think its funny that people who never spent a dime in their life buying any OS(picked them up illegal) complain about the money Vista costs when Microsoft spent 7 billion to create it. Don't be cheap give the Linux guys a few coins.

My Vista copy was $149. If I use this system for 5 years that would equal to about $30 a year.
Even with Linux, I spend the $1.50 per disk to buy the distros.

I think you answered your own question.

You mean to tell me you haven't donated at least $147.50 for each installation of linux you use? You bastard!

Perhaps it makes up for all of those people that had to pay the Windows laptop tax only to get rid of it soon after and install Linux.

I think that Vista costs about the same as XP, except Vista Ultimate, which is $751AU. I seriously think that's unreasonable.

Windows isn't an especially good OS, it is however a really great platform because of how much 3rd party support it receives.

As for feeling guilty for MS, yea, my heart is tearing apart for all the top MS executives and share holders...

XP is worth paying for, and just like SLED if you don't pay for it, you don't get support or updates. Yet no one ever whines about paying for SLED/S or RHEL...

Well, I have just recently installed a pirated copy of xp on laptop and get all the updates just fine. And it's not like most people need that much support for xp anymore. I can see why some might pay...

then again...

Vista is an expensive upgrade, that provides little tangible benefit to the person upgrading to it. Never mind the fact that you'll probably need to upgrade the hardware aswell.

Cheapest Vista is 150 bucks. What does that money bring you in terms of things you can actually _experience_? And I'm not talking about a new skin, as you can find TONS of those on the internet already.

Vista is playing for the future, and I will insist that the difference between XP and Vista is the same as the difference between 2K and XP. When XP was shipped, it didn't offer much more than 2K, but if you compare the 2 now XP is by far the better OS for hardware, feature and software support. Vista simply is a better OS.

Personally I think the XP development was actually a good thing for MS, and the IT industry as a whole. It gave the world a stable platform that evolved, rather than progressing in fits and leaps. How many people do you know who have only owned XP based computers? Or don't know about 98 et al?

So no, vista isn't a big leap (thats the 2010 OS... shipping in 2021), its evolution, and aside from the DRM & shiny spinning crap, its going in the right direction.

Out of interest, how would you feel if MS adopted the yearly support and update subscription charge that Novel uses or alternatively the "every service pack will cost you $100" model that Apple use? Or would you prefer the lump-sum up front approach they take now?

I have played around with Vista

the install time was pretty quick, unless i was not paying much attention. (listening to music during it). but it seemed to install alot faster than XP does.

the GUI just seems like a more annoying skinned XP interface, the logon display sucks compared to the old NT 2k one. hard to tell if you logging in locally or to a domain.

the only thing that stands out as cool is that cascading window thing where you can rotate through the open windows.

start menu is worse than the normal XP one, programs come up in the start menu as a posed to a separate menu like in xp.

personally i dont think its worth the $650+ NZD for ultimate.

seems they have taken XP but a facelift on it and packaged Windows Media Centre with it.

Look at it this way:

If you went on to a shop and found a decent tv worth £200 the compainy had sold millions of these and was the most successful TV business, as well as believing that it was well over priced. You look on Ebay and theres one for £20 and you no its exactly the same as the ones in the shop (and its your 100% sure its not a scam lol) you figure out it "fell out the back of a lorry". What would you do by the ebay one or the one in the shop.

Or

A mate of yours gives you a voucher for a free, lets say, a free meal worth £20. You no he/she shouldnt give you the vouchers, but he/she does. What do you do? bye the meal or use the voucher

Or

You take your family to a theme park for the day, its £25 for a ticket and free for under 14's, you have 2 children who are 15 and 16 but they look young for there age, again you think £25 is way to much and there are thousands of visitors that day and every other day of the year. Would you pay for your two children and declare there over 14 or just dont mention it and the person at the gates just assumes there under 14.

Or

Your forced to buy a new phone because the analogue phones aren't gonna be supported by the phone networks (didnt this happen a few months ago in the uk) you go the the shop and by a phone for £150 you quite disgruntled because your quite happy with your old phone but half the features wont be able to be used any more. There's many more like you buying the phone for the same reason and you cant justify £150, the till has a fault and it only charges you £15, no one will get in trouble or sacked. Do you pay the £15 and walk out quickly or straight the mistake and pay the full amount?

(Wow that was one of my longest post)

The gov does want to turn off analouge TV and Radio some time soon, but they'd have to buy new TV sets for every housing estate in the UK due to "poverty". (why do poor people always have **huge** tv sets?)

The gov does want to turn off analouge TV and Radio some time soon, but they'd have to buy new TV sets for every housing estate in the UK due to "poverty". (why do poor people always have **huge** tv sets?)

Notice they're still selling analog TV sets by the boat load?