Pineapple Wifi Mark 7 - Pure disappointment (Lets be honest)

I can not stress how much of a disappointed this device is, considering all the hype and backing it gets. It's just flaky/buggy putting it mildly.

I normally use my Raspberry Pi 4 (as a stand alone) for network recon etc.. , but decided (due to the hype) to purchase/try a Pineapple, as the web interface
looked like a good feature.

The thing has been a nightmare since I received it, to the point I started questioning myself (until I came here). 

I have had/still have problems connecting it to the internet (via wifi), It fails to kick people off the AP, I cant get any modules (due to internet connection).
I can't even turn off the AP broadcasting (without using the terminal, and causing a bunch more problems) . The management AP is meant to be hidden, but my other devices can see it!! 
I have no intension of purchasing a usb-c to Ethernet (or any other hak5 devices) to try it that way as it should work as advertised. I just about manage to update the firmware to 1.0.2 .

I am all for helping out fellow pen testers, developer etc . However I paid for this device (lets not forget that) and expect it to do what was advertised, so far my Raspberry Pi setup
is miles ahead of this device. I feel disappointed as I spent x2 more for this device and its just a sour Pineapple!

Hopefully one day you'll sort it out! I must admit I am a hak5 supporter/fan, love your energy, but for now back to my Pi.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

II found that on the latest firmware as of today (12 sep 2021) the mark-7 does not automatically add a filter for the managetment wifi name you give it.. so i see that name as an open accesspoint and then cant connect because the managetment accesspoint it has with the same name has a wpa2 code and for some reason it only appears very seldom ( i have hidden it now and can still not connect to it every time and it is still added to the SSID when the mark7 discovers that I am asking for that SSID ) 

.. Every time i let it collect SSIDS from the people around it i can see see that a ssid with " " <- space often is found and added to the list. 

I added 1000 SSIDS to it via the API but that stoppet from working, then i reduced it to below 100 and it started working again .. letting the ssid discovery run and seeing it add >200 SSIDS it then stops responding, lagging a lot and "victims" cant connect any more.

There are so many security tightenings you could add like use iptables to block the web interface and icmp (ping) 

so yes.. it is a little beta - even with a version 7.

I wonder who beta tests them :) did you ever try to add a SSID with special country chars in it ? like blåbærgrød ? 

21 hours ago, Thermostaten said:

II found that on the latest firmware as of today (12 sep 2021) the mark-7 does not automatically add a filter for the managetment wifi name you give it.. so i see that name as an open accesspoint and then cant connect because the managetment accesspoint it has with the same name has a wpa2 code and for some reason it only appears very seldom ( i have hidden it now and can still not connect to it every time and it is still added to the SSID when the mark7 discovers that I am asking for that SSID ) 

I'm not really sure what you're describing here. The Management AP is not (and never has been) affected by the Filter settings, so there is no need for it to be automatically added to said filter. If I understand correctly, you have named the Management AP and the Open AP the same, and your client device is preferring to connect to a WPA2 AP over an Open one. This isn't an issue with the Pineapple but instead just the behaviour of your client device.

I added 1000 SSIDS to it via the API but that stoppet from working, then i reduced it to below 100 and it started working again .. letting the ssid discovery run and seeing it add >200 SSIDS it then stops responding, lagging a lot and "victims" cant connect any more.

The device should be able to handle this many SSIDs in the pool no problem, I'll play with it and see if I can reproduce this.

did you ever try to add a SSID with special country chars in it ? like blåbærgrød ? 

UTF-8 characters are fully supported.