Jump to content

Pineapple Wifi Mark 7 - Pure disappointment (Lets be honest)


JuicyFruit
 Share

Recommended Posts

I can not stress how much of a disappointed this device is, considering all the hype and backing it gets. It's just flaky/buggy putting it mildly.

I normally use my Raspberry Pi 4 (as a stand alone) for network recon etc.. , but decided (due to the hype) to purchase/try a Pineapple, as the web interface
looked like a good feature.

The thing has been a nightmare since I received it, to the point I started questioning myself (until I came here). 

I have had/still have problems connecting it to the internet (via wifi), It fails to kick people off the AP, I cant get any modules (due to internet connection).
I can't even turn off the AP broadcasting (without using the terminal, and causing a bunch more problems) . The management AP is meant to be hidden, but my other devices can see it!! 
I have no intension of purchasing a usb-c to Ethernet (or any other hak5 devices) to try it that way as it should work as advertised. I just about manage to update the firmware to 1.0.2 .

I am all for helping out fellow pen testers, developer etc . However I paid for this device (lets not forget that) and expect it to do what was advertised, so far my Raspberry Pi setup
is miles ahead of this device. I feel disappointed as I spent x2 more for this device and its just a sour Pineapple!

Hopefully one day you'll sort it out! I must admit I am a hak5 supporter/fan, love your energy, but for now back to my Pi.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

II found that on the latest firmware as of today (12 sep 2021) the mark-7 does not automatically add a filter for the managetment wifi name you give it.. so i see that name as an open accesspoint and then cant connect because the managetment accesspoint it has with the same name has a wpa2 code and for some reason it only appears very seldom ( i have hidden it now and can still not connect to it every time and it is still added to the SSID when the mark7 discovers that I am asking for that SSID ) 

 .. Every time i let it collect SSIDS from the people around it i can see see that a ssid with " " <- space often is found and added to the list. 

I added 1000 SSIDS to it via the API but that stoppet from working, then i reduced it to below 100 and it started working again .. letting the ssid discovery run and seeing it add >200 SSIDS it then stops responding, lagging a lot and "victims" cant connect any more.

There are so many security tightenings you could add like use iptables to block the web interface and icmp (ping) 

so yes.. it is a little beta - even with a version 7.

I wonder who beta tests them :) did you ever try to add a SSID with special country chars in it ? like blåbærgrød ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Thermostaten said:

II found that on the latest firmware as of today (12 sep 2021) the mark-7 does not automatically add a filter for the managetment wifi name you give it.. so i see that name as an open accesspoint and then cant connect because the managetment accesspoint it has with the same name has a wpa2 code and for some reason it only appears very seldom ( i have hidden it now and can still not connect to it every time and it is still added to the SSID when the mark7 discovers that I am asking for that SSID ) 

I'm not really sure what you're describing here. The Management AP is not (and never has been) affected by the Filter settings, so there is no need for it to be automatically added to said filter. If I understand correctly, you have named the Management AP and the Open AP the same, and your client device is preferring to connect to a WPA2 AP over an Open one. This isn't an issue with the Pineapple but instead just the behaviour of your client device.

21 hours ago, Thermostaten said:

I added 1000 SSIDS to it via the API but that stoppet from working, then i reduced it to below 100 and it started working again .. letting the ssid discovery run and seeing it add >200 SSIDS it then stops responding, lagging a lot and "victims" cant connect any more.

The device should be able to handle this many SSIDs in the pool no problem, I'll play with it and see if I can reproduce this.

21 hours ago, Thermostaten said:

did you ever try to add a SSID with special country chars in it ? like blåbærgrød ? 

UTF-8 characters are fully supported.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 3:25 PM, JuicyFruit said:

I can not stress how much of a disappointed this device is, considering all the hype and backing it gets. It's just flaky/buggy putting it mildly.

I normally use my Raspberry Pi 4 (as a stand alone) for network recon etc.. , but decided (due to the hype) to purchase/try a Pineapple, as the web interface
looked like a good feature.

The thing has been a nightmare since I received it, to the point I started questioning myself (until I came here). 

I have had/still have problems connecting it to the internet (via wifi), It fails to kick people off the AP, I cant get any modules (due to internet connection).
I can't even turn off the AP broadcasting (without using the terminal, and causing a bunch more problems) . The management AP is meant to be hidden, but my other devices can see it!! 
I have no intension of purchasing a usb-c to Ethernet (or any other hak5 devices) to try it that way as it should work as advertised. I just about manage to update the firmware to 1.0.2 .

I am all for helping out fellow pen testers, developer etc . However I paid for this device (lets not forget that) and expect it to do what was advertised, so far my Raspberry Pi setup
is miles ahead of this device. I feel disappointed as I spent x2 more for this device and its just a sour Pineapple!

Hopefully one day you'll sort it out! I must admit I am a hak5 supporter/fan, love your energy, but for now back to my Pi.

Have the same issues here, did you managed to get it working?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, PIX said:

Have the same issues here, did you managed to get it working?

Mine is buggy too . I can’t capture HS and if I do they won’t show up until I boot it up again . The AP management kicks me off… and it freezes a lot. And sometimes I can’t even deauth devices. Sticking with my pi for now 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@PIX - Hi, I am JuicyFruit, my account got block. Not sure why, but dont care as no one will shut me up!!

No, the thing is still flakey, mostly the web interface. So I just SSH into the thing and run certain tools. I dont even use the web interface anymore. I have just had to cut my loses and admitted I got fooled by the "kitchen hype". I feel like an ex Qanon supporter!!!

Rant part II - I hope people read this before purchases this thing.

It is very clear that hak5 are well over their heads and the company ethics are terrible. Lets break it down. Its clear, they dont have a team to beta test the device. They rely on "paying" customer to test and report bugs that hardly get fixed. Have I missed something? I am a paying customer and you want to brand the Pineapple a "Community project"!!! Is that what you tell the IRS, are our payments classed as donation? The support here is terrible. Its only becuase I know a bit of linux, that I can make something of this device, something that was not sold to me as. How about the people, who are not linux strong and fell for the ease of use hype? Its only because of the type of customers they [Hak5] got who are willing to spend time/money helping, is why they get away with such poor service/products.

People, a lot of hak5 device, and tools you can build yourself. Just get to know kali, the tools available and use a rasberry pi. There is nothing the thing can do, that a pi cant! Thats just a fact.

If something sounds too good to be true (especially from hak5) then.... Invest in yourself, not hak5.

JuictFruit.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, includeV said:

@PIX - Hi, I am JuicyFruit, my account got block. Not sure why, but dont care as no one will shut me up!!

No, the thing is still flakey, mostly the web interface. So I just SSH into the thing and run certain tools. I dont even use the web interface anymore. I have just had to cut my loses and admitted I got fooled by the "kitchen hype". I feel like an ex Qanon supporter!!!

Rant part II - I hope people read this before purchases this thing.

It is very clear that hak5 are well over their heads and the company ethics are terrible. Lets break it down. Its clear, they dont have a team to beta test the device. They rely on "paying" customer to test and report bugs that hardly get fixed. Have I missed something? I am a paying customer and you want to brand the Pineapple a "Community project"!!! Is that what you tell the IRS, are our payments classed as donation? The support here is terrible. Its only becuase I know a bit of linux, that I can make something of this device, something that was not sold to me as. How about the people, who are not linux strong and fell for the ease of use hype? Its only because of the type of customers they [Hak5] got who are willing to spend time/money helping, is why they get away with such poor service/products.

People, a lot of hak5 device, and tools you can build yourself. Just get to know kali, the tools available and use a rasberry pi. There is nothing the thing can do, that a pi cant! Thats just a fact.

If something sounds too good to be true (especially from hak5) then.... Invest in yourself, not hak5.

JuictFruit.

Why are you bitter about the pineapple and Hak5 as hole?

Read the the documentation 🤷.

And you're old account is still there.

Edited by Jtyle6
Old account..
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@jtyle, what is a dedicated member? lol

If I have to explain to you (again) the issue(s) i had (very important HAD), then you've just proved my point about Hak5. So i'll skip that rhetorical question.

The documentation, does not cover bugs.. I have never asked any questions on How to/ How do I.

I know it [Juicy Fruit] still exists, I tried to recreate the account (after the Login page said my user details does not exist) with the same credital/email as I joined up with before and guess what.... The registration page said the account already exist!! So which is right, the login page or the registration page?

 

 

 

Rasberry PI 4

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

This thread seems to have ignored the majority of my previous post, so I'll address the later points again:

On 9/23/2021 at 12:36 PM, includeV said:

@PIX - Hi, I am JuicyFruit, my account got block. Not sure why, but dont care as no one will shut me up!!

You account is not blocked. No action has been taken against it by any staff on these forums.

It seems very clear to me that JuicyFruit/includeV has had a poor experience with his device, and for that I am personally sorry that this was the case, - however -, some things need to be clarified:

  • Nobody gets paid to post positive things about our products on these forums, as you have incorrectly claimed.
  • Bugs happen in *all* products and projects. We try (and do, because we care, see the change logs for yourself) to squash the bugs reported in each release, while also adding new features and overall improvements.
  • The forums are not customer support. They are a community driven resource, and I do not appreciate you suggesting that the people on here who disagree with you are paid by us to do so. The same goes for our Discord chat.
  • "Dedicated Member" and other such titles on the forums (excluding Moderator, Admin and Hak5 Team) are granted automatically based on forum posts and account activity by the forum software.

While we are always striving to make our product better for everyone, it is important to note that making multiple accounts, suggesting we operate in bad faith and making multiple posts about the same topic is not how we do it.

We are an incredibly small team, and finding the time to reply to every forum thread is hard sometimes. Just because your thread didn't receive a staff reply doesn't mean it was ignored by us.

I feel like my post sufficiently sums up the points raised in this post, if you have any questions about it, you are free to message me on the forums about it.

Edited by Foxtrot
Updated to add clarification about user titles/ranks on the forums.
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...