RTL8814U chipset / Alfa – AC1900 adapter to add 802.11ac support for WP MK VII?

hachiman

I have that adapter/NIC but never used it with the Mk7. Just using NICs with the supported/recommended chipset. If you can add the driver, then try it. At least 8812 chipsets are considered to be crap, so I guess it would be a bit of a "risk" to use anything else than MT7612U based NICs.

On 7/31/2021 at 3:44 AM, hachiman said:

Hi everyone, 

just wondering if anyone of you uses the Alfa AC1900 adapter on your MK VII? It has an RTL8814U chipset and works on the Kali Box, with the https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8814au driver. 

Thought I can simply add the driver manually to the WP, would that work? 

Thanks!

I would suggest stay away from this chipset if you haven't already bought it, it's given me it's share of problems.

I couldn't get packet injection working with that driver, this isn't a new issue with this chipset and it looks like the aircrack driver has been abandoned for ~6 months.

Not surprisingly I haven't seen any package for the 8814au chipset in the opkg repository for the wp-m7.

Theres only one driver that is working pretty well for me in Kali https://github.com/morrownr/8814au and this driver has a nice config file that allows for usb modeswitch to usb 2.0 for your WP m7. the problem I had was with installing some of the dependencies & are not in the opkg repos either and I don't really plan on messing with it anymore unless someone smarter than me can figure it out

8 hours ago, deathvegetable said:

I would suggest stay away from this chipset if you haven't already bought it, it's given me it's share of problems.

I couldn't get packet injection working with that driver, this isn't a new issue with this chipset and it looks like the aircrack driver has been abandoned for ~6 months.

Not surprisingly I haven't seen any package for the 8814au chipset in the opkg repository for the wp-m7.

Theres only one driver that is working pretty well for me in Kali https://github.com/morrownr/8814au and this driver has a nice config file that allows for usb modeswitch to usb 2.0 for your WP m7. the problem I had was with installing some of the dependencies & are not in the opkg repos either and I don't really plan on messing with it anymore unless someone smarter than me can figure it out

Thanks for your feedback. I already have it and I was struggling with similar driver issues when using it with bettercap-ng etc. 

So it seems this is not really a smart choice. I will probably buy another adapter to enable 5Ghz on the MK7, as recommended by the Hak5 team.

But thanks for the new driver link. I wasnt aware of that and still used the aircrack one.  

Archived