Laptop for pentesting?

Aghora

Hello

I am in the market for a laptop that I will be using to learn pentesting and cyber security. Are gaming laptops a good option?

Ant recommendations on ram, storage, cpu and gpu configuration?

Thanks

It depends on your use case. Generally I would say that almost anything goes. Especially if you are just starting your journey. I have computers that are 10+ years old of different variants, Chromebooks (with something else other than ChromeOS), Raspberry Pi:s, newer PCs, etc. A wireless NIC that is known to be good for cybersec use would be one thing to focus on to get hold of. Then I would suggest not dual booting but keep a clean "base" and use one OS on the PC. If I need different OS:es straight on the "iron", I always use separate drives and swap them (or, use different PCs depending on the need). Virtual machines might be handy so RAM is good but not necessarily a must have. There are of course a lot of dimensions to it all and what's needed or not, but don't complicate it in the start. To sum up my very own standpoint, just use what you have laying around (or get it cheap) and start learning. That's the important thing. It's not important to have the super ultimate fancy computer. Buying the most expensive and advanced shoes won't turn you into a player of Michael Jordan's (at least historic) capacity. You should focus on being on the court every single day practicing in your worn out shoes and never give up, that's what creates a champion in the end 🙂

3 hours ago, chrizree said:

It depends on your use case. Generally I would say that almost anything goes. Especially if you are just starting your journey. I have computers that are 10+ years old of different variants, Chromebooks (with something else other than ChromeOS), Raspberry Pi:s, newer PCs, etc. A wireless NIC that is known to be good for cybersec use would be one thing to focus on to get hold of. Then I would suggest not dual booting but keep a clean "base" and use one OS on the PC. If I need different OS:es straight on the "iron", I always use separate drives and swap them (or, use different PCs depending on the need). Virtual machines might be handy so RAM is good but not necessarily a must have. There are of course a lot of dimensions to it all and what's needed or not, but don't complicate it in the start. To sum up my very own standpoint, just use what you have laying around (or get it cheap) and start learning. That's the important thing. It's not important to have the super ultimate fancy computer. Buying the most expensive and advanced shoes won't turn you into a player of Michael Jordan's (at least historic) capacity. You should focus on being on the court every single day practicing in your worn out shoes and never give up, that's what creates a champion in the end 🙂

Thank you for the response. Is gpu a must have in the journey of learning?

Not a must have at all if you ask me. And, almost anything has a GPU, but I guess you are referring to a powerful GPU to crack hashes. To learn about such stuff and how it works doesn't require anything powerful since your focus should be to learn how it's done, not striving for performance. If in need of trying to process hashes with speed in mind, then it's another situation, but there are online services as well for such scenarios so a powerful GPU rig of your own isn't mandatory. And, of course, since we are talking pen testing here, it shall be done for a purpose that is legal (just saying).

Archived