Kernel modules for USB modem

think2

I've just noticed that USB modems do not work. I installed the usb_modeswitch from openwrt packages, it seems to switch the modem, but modem ports do not appear. I guess I might need to install these packages because not all of them are pre-installed on the pineapple.

opkg install comgt kmod-usb-serial kmod-usb-serial-option kmod-usb-serial-wwan usb-modeswitch

My guess is that openwrt's pre-build kmod packages are not good to install onto the Mark VII because it has a custom kernel, and needs customly-built modules. 

Now I wonder if it's worth trying build modules myself, or maybe the USB modem configuration is just not supported on Mark VII anymore? (It has worked previously on Nano and older models)..... 

Hi think2,

3 hours ago, think2 said:

My guess is that openwrt's pre-build kmod packages are not good to install onto the Mark VII because it has a custom kernel, and needs customly-built modules. 

This is correct evaluation for 1.0.2 and prior, however, Firmware 1.1.0 BETA and onwards have no problems with installing those kernel modules. If you'd like to try it, I recommend trying the BETA (Topic is pinned), or just waiting for the 1.1.0 release to hit stable.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Archived