Using an adapter with USB-c directional cable

JesseZ

Would it be possible to use a usb-c to lighting adapter on one side of the directional usb-c cable? The only reason I would do this would be to use the smartphone injection feature.

Unrelated, but is there any indicator on which side the device and which side the power goes into for the cable?

Thank you!

Jesse

There are way too many variables when adapters are involved for me to give any definitive answer there. I have tested the cable directly on an iPad Pro and multiple Android phones (all of which have Type C connectors). 

Here is the sales page copy for the C-to-C Directional that should fill in the details there: 

MOBILE ATTACKS
The active end of the cable is discretely marked with a USB logo. Plug the active end into a desktop or laptop to attack it. The cable will support USB 2.0 functionality when the active end is attached to a USB host.  For mobile attacks plug just the active end into a smartphone or tablet. No other steps are needed, the payload delivery will automatically work just like with host attacks.

• 5 months later...

I wonder why is the explicit answer avoided? 

1. Can there be adapters used with the cable so that the active side form factor be plugged in different hosts?

2. Why can't payloads be delivered thru either side of the cable? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 12:03 PM, Wiz said:

I wonder why is the explicit answer avoided? 

1. Can there be adapters used with the cable so that the active side form factor be plugged in different hosts?

2. Why can't payloads be delivered thru either side of the cable? 

Some people have successfully used adapters. As I said, there are a lot of variables involved, which means there is no simple answer. It depends on which device, which adapter, what your payload needs are, etc.