Updated guide for AWUS036NHA Wifi Card Tx-power increase????

noobdudeFK

I'm fairly new to cyber security (JUST got into a program) Found the guides from 2013 and 2017(which was the same one) and I am going ape trying to hunt down all the outdated packages required and can't get them to install/work. Does ANYONE have an updated guide on how to do this??? I literally just spent 5 hours trying to get this to work and I'm frustrated as heck lol. HEEEELLLPPP lol Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, you need to be more specific about your problem, there's a lot of text but not really telling that much... What guides are you referring to? What packages are you trying to hunt down? What OS are you on? Is it about some Hak5 device? Is it only about increasing the tx power for the NHA NIC as the title says or something more (as the text suggests, but vaguely)?

Oh shit, the last part of the post apparently didn't make it. (Idk why?) (where i put the specifics and the link to the guide i was talking about and now I can't remember which one it was.) So basically..

Wifi card: AWUS036NHA
https://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036NHA-Wireless-USB-Adaptor/dp/B004Y6MIXS <-- This one.

I found the guides from 2013, 2017 (which are the same) but apparently the kernels updated in such a way that you can't just change the country code and increast the Tx-Power that way. So I guess one would have to edit the regulation DB? And the guides that I have found to do this are using out dated tools and packages that I just can't seem to get to work on this OS. As I said, i'm new to cyber security and any help is appreciated. Sorry for the lack of information, my bad.

I guess you are stuck with a chipset, or... perhaps firmware to be more correct, that has limited the tx-power to 20 dBm. I tried some different wireless NICs now and following the instructions in the 2nd link you posted using Kali. For some adapters, they showed just 20 dBm but some indicated 30 dBm. That tells me that it has nothing to do with Kali (or the method described) but is adapter specific. You have probably come across a AWUS036NHA that most likely has such kind of 20 dBm restriction. Are you within the EU (ETSI)? My AWUS036NHA is of the "German Revision" and since it's not possible to force the NIC above 20 dBm where other NICs have no problems indicating 30 dBm, then I guess that there is a ETSI restriction applied to the hardware itself.

I'm in the US. That sucks. I'm probably just going to order a different adapter anyway, since the AWUS036NHA isn't dual band. When I do scans, I literally only pick up about 2-3 networks in my neighborhood and I live in the city. Do you have a recommendation? Maybe one with good range, dual band, and likely to be able to be changed to broadcast at higher than 20dbm? I only have personal experience with this one so far. I left the 'hacking' world when I was 17. Back when DSL became popular. I am amazed and overwhelmed at the same time of all the new languages and technologies and methods now. i'll be 37 this month. I feel like the old guy saying "i used to walk 20 miles to school up hill. both ways!" lol It's just amazing that the internet and the tech we use to access it has come this far. Not to mention every other technology that relies on computing. Just amazing. Anyway, Thanks for the help bud. Much appreciated. If you have a recommendation, much obliged. 

I'm normally not in a situation chasing tx power so I can't really tell what NICs that are good for increasing tx specifically. You have to ask yourself why you want to hunt down high tx power settings. Why is it important? You don't have to tell me here in this forum, it's more a question you have to ask yourself, but I guess you have good reasons for it since you are in need of higher tx values. The only ones I got up to 30 dBm when testing were of the following chipsets, none of them are 5 GHz though.

Ralink RT3572
Ralink RT5370
Ralink RT5372
Ralink MT7601U
Realtek RTL8192EU

Archived