Exeperience so far

Murderfalcon

1. Unboxing and setup just great and as expected from write-ups and videos
  2. ICS from Linux did now work with the w7.sh script, specifically Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS. I kept getting a "too many links error" It looks like ufw was the cause, so I reset that and disabled it, that cleared the "too many links error" but still no go on the sharing.  Filling used the steps here...https://infosecwriteups.com/wifi-pineapple-how-to-setup-internet-connection-sharing-ics-on-linux-e5a544345738  and got it to work. Though it doesn't like to play well with mozilla VPN so that needed to be turned off to get ICS working properly.
  3. Seemed to enumerate SSID's well enough but a little sluggish with getting clients that are associated with the SSID's. I had a phone and tablet connected to my test AP and only the tablet would show up, and even then not reliably. AP is only about 20 feet away.
  4. After adding the MAC and SSID to the Allow filter (so only those macs would associate with the allowed SSID) and then successfully de-athenticating the devices neither of the devices would connect to the pineapple. I made sure all the necessary things were checked, allow association, broadcast SSID, I even changed the mode to aggressive, but no dice. The devices just wouldn't connect. One is a pixel 4, the other is a Lenovo table. Just for giggles I also tried my Roku...but nothing.

So thus far things seem to be working except getting clients to connect. I am on the latest firmware.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

1 hour ago, chrizree said:

Is the test AP open?

So for the record I have testAP in my ssid pool and then I name my openAP to testAP. Is this the correct configuration? 

I have been using bettercap for a while now this is actually my first venture into the wifi pineapple. I watched and followed along with the best I could with the VII getting started video, but it's still entirely possible I bolloxed this up.

22 minutes ago, mickael03 said:

Hello, I will also be interested in an answer to this question.
None of the devices connect to the pineapple after a disauthentication of a client, yet it broadcast well Open SSID saves in the device Thank you for your help

I think I have it figured out but will need to test it. The "real" AP the clients were originally connected to in my test environment was WPA2. It seems that it won't connect to an open AP of the same name. From other posts in this forum it seems that may be why the clients aren't connecting to the pineapple after deauth.

That seems to be what I'm reading here...at the very least I'm not the only one having issues...

4 minutes ago, chrizree said:

If the security is different, it won't connect. So, it doesn't just seem that way, it is like that. You can't just copy the SSID and make devices jump over to an open AP if the original one is protected.

Until I get done testing it myself it will continue to SEEM that way. Because I'm a glutton for punishment and have to run my lab tests. Because I'm a jackass that way, LOL

15 hours ago, Murderfalcon said:

I think I have it figured out but will need to test it. The "real" AP the clients were originally connected to in my test environment was WPA2. It seems that it won't connect to an open AP of the same name. From other posts in this forum it seems that may be why the clients aren't connecting to the pineapple after deauth.

That seems to be what I'm reading here...at the very least I'm not the only one having issues...

@Murderfalcon I'm not sure if this is your specific problem, but it might be related.

Each client has a PNL (Preferred Network List). This list is built when a client connects to an access point. It's how your phone knows to connect to a network automatically. If that access point was WPA2 encrypted when the client originally connected to it, then the client will expect that WPA2 encryption to still be in place.

WPA2 is a mutual authentication. The AP expects the client to have the correct credentials, but the client also expects the AP to have the same. If the client tries to authenticate to the AP and the AP does not respond correctly (ie it's authentication has been changed to Open), then the client will see that AP as not being the AP it originally connected to. 

The Pineapple is not able to attract clients using an SSID of an AP that uses WPA2 for this reason. It's not really a problem with the Pineapple, it's just because of the way WiFi works.

To remediate the issue, clear the PNL list from the client device then reconnect to that AP when it is open. Also, know that attracting mobile devices to the Pineapple has it's own set of hurdles depending on the manufacturer. Make sure the mobile client device doesn't go into sleep mode as many devices disconnect from APs in order to save power.

1 hour ago, Skinny said:

@Murderfalcon I'm not sure if this is your specific problem, but it might be related.

Each client has a PNL (Preferred Network List). This list is built when a client connects to an access point. It's how your phone knows to connect to a network automatically. If that access point was WPA2 encrypted when the client originally connected to it, then the client will expect that WPA2 encryption to still be in place.

WPA2 is a mutual authentication. The AP expects the client to have the correct credentials, but the client also expects the AP to have the same. If the client tries to authenticate to the AP and the AP does not respond correctly (ie it's authentication has been changed to Open), then the client will see that AP as not being the AP it originally connected to. 

The Pineapple is not able to attract clients using an SSID of an AP that uses WPA2 for this reason. It's not really a problem with the Pineapple, it's just because of the way WiFi works.

To remediate the issue, clear the PNL list from the client device then reconnect to that AP when it is open. Also, know that attracting mobile devices to the Pineapple has it's own set of hurdles depending on the manufacturer. Make sure the mobile client device doesn't go into sleep mode as many devices disconnect from APs in order to save power.

Thanks, this is indeed the issue. PEBPAC

Archived