Thinking about buying a new...

jht129

Dell's fine, people just like to choose a brand to hate on...

Nothing wrong with a Dell laptop any more than any other brand. Most laptops are fine for pretty much everything these days, though most won't have the greatest gaming ability but otherwise it's down to what you prefer/what you're looking to use it for.

hmm sorry moonit but i cant fully agree, Dell's laptops in the past have been absolutly bad, but they have fixed them up a lot, though still there batteries die way to easly and the customer support = bad (for Aus) though the battiers can be replaced with no genuine which fixs all

I thought Broadcom was in the official list of wireless cards that ndiswrapper supported?

it is and I've tried 3 dif win driver with knoppix hd install, mandrake and I just installed debian and will try that this weekend. I've used 2 dif ndiswrappers :( untill then i'm stuck with winblows I'll keep messing with it untill it works :)

LOL. I feel your pain. That's one of the reasons why I'm running windoze on my laptop. couldn't get the drivers to work on Debian or Mandrake. Of course, it was probably my lack of experience with wireless on *nix that was why it wasn't working :P

I just found out that my wifi the dell 1350 and the drivers for the 1370 are not the same chipset dell tells you to use the same drivers for both card and it works in winblows however the 1350 uses the bcm4306 and 1370 uses the bcm4318 so maybe I can now get my wifi to work with linux ( prays to the great computer god) and the battery prob was from sony batteries not made by dell cant blame them for a part made by a subcontractor and dell replaced the defective ones and took all the heat but noone said jack about the sony.

remind me if im wrong but dosnt dell pwn alienware now?

remind me if im wrong, but wernt dell laptops exploding last year?

yeah, the battery cell manufactures left shards of metal in the cels, which then shorted out and caused fires