Sadly my son passed away20/7/2020 we need to bypass Win 10 password

Francis Ford

Apologies for the long postšŸ™šŸ˜¢

Dear Darren and crew,Ā and fellow posters. Sadly my Son James passed away 20/7/2020. We have been ā€œnumbā€ ever since a lone police detective at 7:30am delivered the news. Apologies for bringing down the spirit of this group...

We let Vic Police have my sons Huawei phone which was locked (Optus) sadly the techies at Victoria Police were unable to unlock the phonešŸ˜³. We would have like it to be unlocked as James always took photos of his family pets and other occasions.

There is a way of getting the phone unlocked,but it required to have his Win 10 computer which of course it too has password protection...šŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢ We tried every known password and went thru all his paperwork to see if he may have wrote down his password...We need the computer and hopefully his Google account p/w isnā€™t required to get a notification to change his password on his phone.

Would the USB Rubber Ducky when plugged into my sons Win 10 64 bit OS i7 64gig ram 1060 graphics cardĀ will bypass or let me get to his desktop? Iā€™m not to tech savvy but can follow instructions.

I would be deeply grateful if someone can help us out. Iā€™d purchase the USB Rubber Ducky in a heartbeat if I know I have a chance.

James (29 years old) was a gamer wayyyy back I seen via Steam account (commando91) that he had played well over 300 hundred games not including PS 1,2,3,4. We miss him so much. Please help a Mum and Dad out.. Thank you in advance.

Francis Ford

John C......

Ā 

Hi Francis

I am very sorry for your loss!

To keep my answer short, I can tell you, that the Rubber Ducky won't help you. The Rubber Ducky can only automate your manual typing as it acts as a keyboard which can be programmed.

What you need is a real forensic company. Unfortunately I do not know any company doing these kind of service near you, but a good company should be able to access at least the Win10 data, as long as it is not bitlockered...

all the best

flipchart

Thank you for the fast response and thank you for your kind words about our son.šŸ™

As far as I know itā€™s not bitlockered,James would have done a simple string with some pass lock code from Resident Evil plus a few characters. Iā€™m also hoping he hasnā€™t used send code to phone...then Iā€™m truly stuffed.

My other son has an it contact for a large company which has a USB key over ride when ā€œrepairingā€ workers computers was kinda hoping I could do it myself. Havenā€™t contact Microsoft here as Iā€™m thinking they are not IT just sales....

Again a big thank you for the reply.šŸ‘Œāœ… Flipchart šŸ‘Œāœ…

if the computer is not bitlocker encrypted, you don't even need his password to access the data. Simply take the harddrive/ssd out of the computer into a harddrive case and access the data like you normally do with external harddisks: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_ApZIwK

If you happen to have a large 3.5" disk you should get some connector with an integrated power supply: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_ApMtIm

This should do the trick. Maybe you are lucky enough to find a backup of the Huawei Phone on the computer to restore your pictures...

I wish you success!

Hi dustbyter,

Thank you for your kind words about my son James...šŸ™

Will look for that program....thank you. Seen a few ā€œhacksā€ on Ā changing the cmd prompt via windows recovery to magnifier....which in turn appears on the boot page in win recovery. You then press ā€œmagnifier ā€œ it then opens cmd Ā so you then make a admin with password... The software hack may have been patched but his computer has been switched on since he passed away... Iā€™d rather use a USB solution...

Deeply thank you again...

On 2/23/2021 at 10:49 PM, flipchart said:

if the computer is not bitlocker encrypted, you don't even need his password to access the data. Simply take the harddrive/ssd out of the computer into a harddrive case and access the data like you normally do with external harddisks: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_ApZIwK

If you happen to have a large 3.5" disk you should get some connector with an integrated power supply: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_ApMtIm

This should do the trick. Maybe you are lucky enough to find a backup of the Huawei Phone on the computer to restore your pictures...

I wish you success!

Hey Flipchart,

A big thank you! I just thought that taking hard drive out WIN 10 would block files... But you can tell Iā€™m a newb šŸ˜¢ Iā€™ve been with computers since 1977šŸ˜³but only know how to click on a desktop to launch a program.šŸ˜¢ Iā€™ve had experience with various operating systems as a user and have been in windows registry but Iā€™m nowhere near your computer knowledge....... If this Hirenboot doesnā€™t work...Iā€™ll take the SSD and HD and look for backup... James would have transferred pictures to his computer too.

Again thank you for taking the time to answer me I fully appreciate it...

Take care..

Hi, sorry for you loss,

You can try to remove the hard disk or the solid state hard disk, connect it to your computer with a sata adapter and using a linux OS, use the CHNTPW command to blank your password and enter windows, if not you could also use the koon-boot tool to blank your password, if your child had activated the option of fast startup of windows your best option will be the first.

if you need more information:

https://whatisgon.wordpress.com/2010/01/28/chntpw-tutorial-resetting-windows-passwords-editing-registry-linux/

https://kon-boot.com/docs/

you can also try a helper operating system like rescatux or trinity rescue kit.

https://trinityhome.org/

https://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/

• 4 weeks later...

@Francis Ford being that you have physical access all you need is a bootable linux usb, some instruction, and a bit of patience I could easily guide you through this.

It surprises me that it isn't more common knowledge but I guess it all comes down to use cases.

As @Traxxas recommended, trinity is a great tool but I have found that its not always reliable. So what I am suggesting is doing manually what Trinity would do "easily" but its not much difference doing it manually.

Hopefully this has been resolved by now but I figured I would chime in just in case since I just started browsing this forum.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/20/2021 at 9:45 PM, Francis Ford said:

Apologies for the long postšŸ™šŸ˜¢

Dear Darren and crew,Ā and fellow posters. Sadly my Son James passed away 20/7/2020. We have been ā€œnumbā€ ever since a lone police detective at 7:30am delivered the news. Apologies for bringing down the spirit of this group...

We let Vic Police have my sons Huawei phone which was locked (Optus) sadly the techies at Victoria Police were unable to unlock the phonešŸ˜³. We would have like it to be unlocked as James always took photos of his family pets and other occasions.

There is a way of getting the phone unlocked,but it required to have his Win 10 computer which of course it too has password protection...šŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢ We tried every known password and went thru all his paperwork to see if he may have wrote down his password...We need the computer and hopefully his Google account p/w isnā€™t required to get a notification to change his password on his phone.

Would the USB Rubber Ducky when plugged into my sons Win 10 64 bit OS i7 64gig ram 1060 graphics cardĀ will bypass or let me get to his desktop? Iā€™m not to tech savvy but can follow instructions.

I would be deeply grateful if someone can help us out. Iā€™d purchase the USB Rubber Ducky in a heartbeat if I know I have a chance.

James (29 years old) was a gamer wayyyy back I seen via Steam account (commando91) that he had played well over 300 hundred games not including PS 1,2,3,4. We miss him so much. Please help a Mum and Dad out.. Thank you in advance.

Francis Ford

John C......

Ā 

email me and i can help you sir XXXX

• 3 weeks later...

a hiren boot diskĀ  will clear the password but will also delete all passwords stored in windows and block your attempts at entry to the accounts and data saved on them.Ā 

yall should know this...Ā  If someone can capture the password hash and decrypt it so he can login that will do the trick,Ā  There are many good forensic guys around and unfortuneately my time has passedĀ  in practice, I am lucky to do general repairs much less hack any more as I am from modem days and 9x/2k days..Ā Ā 

also if data was encrypted in profile then it would also be lost if clear password with hirens..Ā  you really should mirror the drive first then do attempts if want a safety net.

Ā 

• 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, onPhiya said:

you can use the new hirens boot usb or other tools to remove the pw if you can't figure pm me and i can send you some linksĀ 

thank you onPhiya we are still yet to do anything. James passed away 7/20/20 heā€™s been gone a year and we are still in shock.Ā 
Thank you very much for your adviceā€¦

Ā 

Ā 

@francisĀ 

Create a live boot Linux USB and boot directly into it from ur sons computer. U should be able to view the contents of his hard drive from there.Ā 

Worked for me before, though I never got a password for the windows machine, I didn't need one to grow the contents of the hardrive. Goodluck

Archived