[RELEASE] WiFi Pineapple Mark VII 1.0.2

Foxtrot

Hello!

Following up from the 1.0.1 post-launch update, we're happy to release another firmware containing some improvements and bug fixes.

Be sure to check out the changes below and grab the new release by giving your WiFi Pineapple Mark VII an internet connection and going to "Settings > Check for Updates".

Changelog:

• PineAP
    • Add button to clear the activity log in the Logging Options menu.
    • Fix an issue where client MAC addresses were not selectable.
    • Fix an issue where Filters would sometime not act correctly.
  • Recon
    • Fixed an issue where the dBi column would not sort.
    • Show a message if all table columns are disabled.
    • Fixed an issue where results would not update when navigating back to a running scan.
  • Campaigns
    • Added the functionality to delete campaign reports.
    • Fix an issue where the "more" button for campaign entries would be invisible when dark mode was enabled.
  • Settings
    • Client network credentials are now deleted when the user disconnects.
  • Misc
    • Fix an issue with ICS routing introduced in 1.0.1.
  • Cloud C2
    • Improvements to Cloud C2 functionality.
    • Add the ability to manage Client Mode whilst in C2 Mode.

I'm having real problems with the Pinapple Mk7.  I'm running on this version.

1) Is there any documentation on this product?  I can't find anything beyond a basic setup guide.  Is there a guide that tells you what each feature does and how to use it?

2) Recon doesn't work well at all. 

-- A 30 second scan seems to work pretty reliably, but running a continuous scan... not so much.  The scan seems to stop randomly.  The "Settings" panel will say that it's still scanning, but updates stop happening (no client updates, no new clients found).

-- Handshake Capture seems sketchy AF.  Very unclear on what is being listened for?  When you click to enable handshake capture, what is the scope of that capture?  (everything?  Just the SSID you selected?  All SSIDs on the same channel?  Who knows.)

-- does client deauth work?  I don't know.  Maybe?  I try to deauth my device, and the device seems to get kicked off the network (when I look at the device, I see it loses wifi momentarily), but VERY RARELY will I capture any handshakes from this.  I might never have.  I don't know.  The whole thing is an enigma.

I have many other questions that are difficult/impossible to get answers for.  The (scant) documentation has no details.  The forum here has no useful, detailed information.  What is the pineapple's open SSID for?  What do I use it for?  What's a campaign for?  What is the workflow?  Why do clients that are clearly on a network show up in unassociated list? Some documentation would be very helpful.

Is it just me having these problems?  I feel like I'm losing my mind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 9:55 AM, ThePineappleEnigma said:

1) Is there any documentation on this product?  I can't find anything beyond a basic setup guide.  Is there a guide that tells you what each feature does and how to use it?

-- A 30 second scan seems to work pretty reliably, but running a continuous scan... not so much.  The scan seems to stop randomly.  The "Settings" panel will say that it's still scanning, but updates stop happening (no client updates, no new clients found).

-- Handshake Capture seems sketchy AF.  Very unclear on what is being listened for?  When you click to enable handshake capture, what is the scope of that capture?  (everything?  Just the SSID you selected?  All SSIDs on the same channel?  Who knows.)

-- does client deauth work?  I don't know.  Maybe?  I try to deauth my device, and the device seems to get kicked off the network (when I look at the device, I see it loses wifi momentarily), but VERY RARELY will I capture any handshakes from this.  I might never have.  I don't know.  The whole thing is an enigma.

I have many other questions that are difficult/impossible to get answers for.  The (scant) documentation has no details.  The forum here has no useful, detailed information.  What is the pineapple's open SSID for?  What do I use it for?  What's a campaign for?  What is the workflow?  Why do clients that are clearly on a network show up in unassociated list? Some documentation would be very helpful.

I am experiencing the same issues as above, I've spent the last hour looking for documentation and found none, I turned on handshake capturing on my own network and cant figure out what it's asking for to get it configured, it wont capture handshakes. I need something that's written for a new user not a user who's used it  for 5 years through the different iterations. Yes, I'm a newbie too but right now, I've wasted hours on a Saturday night that I dedicated to understanding how to use the pineapple to capture handshakes. Like above, most of the clients on my own network dont show up. Also, how do you monitor 5GHz connections as well. Having a massive dose of buyers remorse right now. The videos to setup are pretty worthless. Would love some help for this other user and myself. Time to turn off the computer and call it a night, too much wasted time. Hoping this is software that went out too early. Can anyone from Hak5 provide some guidance?

On 1/25/2021 at 12:29 PM, Foxtrot said:
  • Cloud C2
    • Improvements to Cloud C2 functionality.
    • Add the ability to manage Client Mode whilst in C2 Mode.

Is there a way to fully manage the Pineapple from C2 ?   So much functionality doesn't translate over (e.g. no campaigns, no exportable reports, no deauth option, no easy create filters, no vendor names for MAC addresses, no Grid view in recon, etc).

Once I attach to C2 I can no longer manage the Pineapple directly and lose functionality.

Do we have to choose either 1) C2 remote managed dash board OR 2) full pineapple functionality and we can't get both?

On 2/5/2021 at 4:55 PM, ThePineappleEnigma said:

I’m getting this issue aswell, it’s a shame I just got the new MK7 today and now the Handshake isn’t working at all on my home network I left it running for an hour and stopped but nothink, also client deauth wasn’t working I was testing on my IPhone, andriod and my old laptop nothink worked also when running the scan only 3 devices came up and I have 30 in my house minimum, they were all on but didn’t find them... also when I started to use MDK4 when I first started on my home network the website crashed and I had to reset the actual device for it to boot up again....

I think this is a great device when it works just need to sort out the bugs, but yet again great product from hak5 just sort them out soon 👍

On 2/14/2021 at 5:39 AM, mman47 said:

I am experiencing the same issues as above, I've spent the last hour looking for documentation and found none, I turned on handshake capturing on my own network and cant figure out what it's asking for to get it configured, it wont capture handshakes. I need something that's written for a new user not a user who's used it  for 5 years through the different iterations. Yes, I'm a newbie too but right now, I've wasted hours on a Saturday night that I dedicated to understanding how to use the pineapple to capture handshakes. Like above, most of the clients on my own network dont show up. Also, how do you monitor 5GHz connections as well. Having a massive dose of buyers remorse right now. The videos to setup are pretty worthless. Would love some help for this other user and myself. Time to turn off the computer and call it a night, too much wasted time. Hoping this is software that went out too early. Can anyone from Hak5 provide some guidance?

On 2/5/2021 at 5:55 PM, ThePineappleEnigma said:

I have the same problems too, no clear and official documentation, I have not found anything that guides a user who has never used wifi pineapple step by step. How is such a thing possible?

Redsqu1rrel, There are some basic setup videos on the hak5 site which goes real high level. Once you get down to doing some recon and then capturing handshakes I cant find anything. Looking for directions on how to do some wifi pen testing. When you look for videos on youtube, all i'm finding are videos that use the old interface and i cant square the old one with the new one. The new one looks good, I'm finding a boat load of devices but the data is really variable so it's hard to trust it. If we make any progress, I'll share, hope others will do the same. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/5/2021 at 11:55 AM, ThePineappleEnigma said:

Brah, I hear you and I feel you. Ditto every word you said. This doesn't feel stable or reliable or fully baked. I've kind of given up. And I don't say this as a kid who wants to hack my neighbors. I have 30 years experience as a dev, admin and engineer.

Pro Tip: if you need to earn a living and not embarrass yourself by stabbing away at this thing in front of a client, get CommView for Windows and Bettercap. In the time it takes to boot this little box, CommView has shown me every AP and client on every channel on both bands. While I'm looking at the airspace in CommView, my partner can grab a handshake almost as quickly as it takes me to give him the SSID I want. Maybe by version 3.x this will be production ready. Or maybe a PE firm will buy Hak5 and stand up an enterprise class engineering team... I'm not supper enthusiastic about what I've seen so far. Be prepared to baby this thing, nurse this thing. Don't get me wrong, Mr. Kitchens is great with Demo-ware YouTube videos, but this thing is going to be many versions into the future before I make it a tool that I can rely on in the field to make a living with.

I'm only out $200. I'll keep checking in to see if the firmware and web GUI mature. As far as docs... Cursory, at best. Maybe instead of messing around with 3D modeling, dev resources would be better spent on writing bullet-proof code and thorough docs written by professional technical writers. It's no wonder that I can't find any reviews of this machine at the enterprise level in the trade press.

TL;DR: This feels like a toy. It has some promise, but it needs an enterprise-class development team. Oh, and a big-boy CPU/Memory/On-board dual-band radios. I'm headed back to the Pi4 to try on my own.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 3:30 PM, Foxtrot said:

Can you include some more information? You've made one forum post in this thread (a thread for firmware discussion) that doesn't specify any problem.

Unrelated to the original post but I recently picked up the MKVII, new to the Pineapple but have been watching the channel for years. I am on the current 1.0.2 Firmware and when I open the terminal it take a really long time to load and then once it finally does the Pineapple and information does not load with it. The only way I can get it to show up is to click to open the terminal let it start loading for a few seconds and then click to close it and then click to reopen right away. I have been able to duplicate this ever single time. Any suggestions?

One more thing I found to be an issue with this firmware and maybe older as well but the default colors on the log in dark mode are not good bright mint green and white text you cannot see. How do you change the text color? I tried using the "Other" color option but it changed nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I am running 1.0.2 it is so buggy. I can't connect with my phone, when I run Recon it seems to lock up, when I am connected the web interface will stop talking to the pineapple. I have the Mark 5, the Tetra and now the mark VII ( a fathers day gift), they have always been buggy. I have been following Hak5 scene season 5, I want to support them and I love what they do and I do learn a ton. This is just disappointing.

• Foxtrot unfeatured and unpinned this topic

Archived