help making a media center out of an old pc ..(specs listed)

DLSS

help making a media center out of an old pc ...

ok so i'm thinking about making a media center pc out of my old box ...

notice they're old parts, but it is able to recordemovies just fine and

displaying isnt too bad either ... it has been connected to a tv before and

i still have the cable laying to connect it up to coax& the cable network.

here's the most important parts list :

amd athlon xp +2800

onboard geforce 2 (has s-video out)

hercules smart tv

< 512 MB ram

now the questions ...

ok so first of all i want a nice media center interface ,

be able to display all video/audio formats i would be able to on any other pc ,

be able to add a bluetooth stick & keyboard afterwards,

connect it to my network and use it as a local ftp & to browse the web/stream audio,

must be compatible with the hardware (i'm mainly worried about the capture card & bluetooth)

i'm not biased what would u advise for linux distro or xp media center edition ?

any setup tips,

how bout the support for this hardware on the linux side ? i kno myth tv but never installed it but seem to remember there were only little capture cards supported on it ...

hardware support is pretty good actually. I would search to see if you can find any results with the TV card you own. Getting the remote to work is usually harder to get working though(if your card is not popular).

In my opinion i would go with Windows XP Media Center Edition, because you may find it the easiest to work with and have an wide range of playable video formats.

if you havent completely decided against the linux route, any distro + mythtv is awesome. lircd will work if you have a remote, google says that hercules cards work fine with v4lin, and myth has such great functionality its awesome, obviouly tv, web browser, weather, use mplayer to play any media you have on your computer, use with multiple tuners if you get another one, and much more. of all the media setups ive had, id say i love my linux+myth+mysql+lirc the best.

i've fixed it by now ... ,

tho i cant get the colours configured correctly (on az monitor they show fine but on the tv they look how do you say it .... too hot if u get what i mean , and it looks like shit .... any tips i tryed the cofiguration of the tv , gfx card but cant seem to b able to get it to give me some decent quality ....

if you havent completely decided against the linux route, any distro + mythtv is awesome. lircd will work if you have a remote, google says that hercules cards work fine with v4lin, and myth has such great functionality its awesome, obviouly tv, web browser, weather, use mplayer to play any media you have on your computer, use with multiple tuners if you get another one, and much more. of all the media setups ive had, id say i love my linux+myth+mysql+lirc the best.

u've got my intrest can u link me some information and a download page and i'll look into it :P i always prefere the linux route cos its less system intensive ...