Rubber Ducky still viable?

UnPredicted

Hello, I have been thinking of buying a rubber ducky, but I am quite unsure of how much you can actually do with it. The only videos on YouTuve that I can find with people talking about it are from 2-4 years ago, and I figured a lot of the stuff you could do with a rubber ducky back then has been patched since. So my question is, what can you still use it for now in 2020? And what are you guys using yours for?

2 hours ago, UnPredicted said:

The only videos on YouTuve that I can find with people talking about it are from 2-4 years ago

Youtube started cracking down on instructional hacking videos, removing videos often demonetizing them and banning accounts. I think this has put people off producing them, at least for a while. Started to see a few more these days though so maybe changing or people are doing it anyway.

2 hours ago, UnPredicted said:

what can you still use it for now in 2020?

Same as you could always do, keyboard injection of payload, powershell or browser stuff seems most common these days. IF you are developing your own attacks and finding/producing them yourself then you probably will do well. If you are expecting to download ready made attack payloads that still work on latest releases of OS's & AV "as-is" then your probably going to be disappointed as once they are publicly released very often they are patched so turn ineffective.

If its just for you to learn with at a home lab i would consider saving up for a BashBunny as will give you more to learn for the money as it does what the duck can do and more. But its slightly larger, slower to boot and looks obviously not like a standard USB thumb drive. Pro's n Con's.

EDIT - as an afterthought.

This is a common question, but its a false question. As the (Insert Hak5 device here)is basically just a tool that interfaces you with a % of an attack vector, the actual question is what can an attacker to with (Insert relevant) attack vector.

So in your case, regarding the title of the post - your asking is the keyboard still viable in 2020 (to an attacker).

1 hour ago, Just_a_User said:

This is a common question, but its a false question. As the (Insert Hak5 device here)is basically just a tool that interfaces you with a % of an attack vector, the actual question is what can an attacker to with (Insert relevant) attack vector.

So in your case, regarding the title of the post - your asking is the keyboard still viable in 2020 (to an attacker).

^^All of this.

Archived