Not a good start

bendage

Just got my Mark VII in the mail today. On the inner lip of the box it has the link 'get started at wifipineapple.com/mk7' upon which the page is not found. So i'll load the wiki i said to myself... dead link too. Really guys? Thanks for the $95 door stop.

Hi,

Sorry about the WiFiPineapple.com link, it seems to have gotten broken some time after launch, I'll make sure it's fixed. As for "the wiki" - I'm not sure what dead link you're referring to here, we haven't maintained a WiFi Pineapple wiki for a while now, opting to instead host documentation at https://docs.hak5.org, which is printed in a few places on the included information card inside the box, along with information on how to get started.

(Moved to the correct forum section)

Thanks

13 minutes ago, bendage said:

Update your 404 page not found. Your wiki is under the support menu for THAT page

He's dead, Jim.  

The page that you are looking for.

Is here. https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/categories/360004116253-WiFi-Pineapple-Mark-VII

I have the same issue as OP. Ive used the Mark7 for only a few hours, but I am sensing a trend already that's leaving me uneasy. I’ve encountered multiple issues that other users are experiencing as well. The documentation/videos have many inconsistencies between stated procedures/troubleshoot fixes and reality. There may be workarounds, but I've only seen them provided by the “community” so far. Hak5, the company that sold the product, has yet to provide responses to any of the issues I’ve experienced. I’ve yet to contact them personally, but the lack of response from Hak5 on the forums is foreboding. 

I was looking forward to the Mark7 – hoping to use it as a main driver to launch a new service offering. Unfortunately, after spending only a few hours with it and the documentation/videos/forums, it’s proving to fall majorly short of anything acceptable. I glanced at hak5’s Refund policy and cringed at the stated requirement that the returned product must be unused and almost vomited at the 30% restocking fee. Again, I only glanced – I hope a further read of the entire policy reveals that Hak5 will accept returns of and charge no restocking fees for products that have been advertised as functional but delivered as anything but.

Holding onto hope that what I’ve read about Hak5's Pineapple line to be true - can anyone attest to the proper working of any previous Pineapple models? Recommendations, please. My ideal exit strategy would be to return this Mark7 junk for an older, properly functioning model (oxymoronic, isn't it?).

9 hours ago, bendage said:

Update your 404 page not found. Your wiki is under the support menu for THAT page

As the front page of the wiki states: "The WiFi Pineapple Wiki has been deprecated. You are encouraged to use the Official Hak5 Docs instead.". This change was made over a year ago. It is kept (as well as the majority of that website) for historical purposes, and like I mentioned in my first response, the card included in the box suggests visiting the new documentation website by name in three places.

(Sidenote: The redirect has been fixed, and correctly points you to the right place now.)

7 hours ago, Phuture said:

I have the same issue as OP. Ive used the Mark7 for only a few hours, but I am sensing a trend already that's leaving me uneasy. I’ve encountered multiple issues that other users are experiencing as well. The documentation/videos have many inconsistencies between stated procedures/troubleshoot fixes and reality. There may be workarounds, but I've only seen them provided by the “community” so far. Hak5, the company that sold the product, has yet to provide responses to any of the issues I’ve experienced. I’ve yet to contact them personally, but the lack of response from Hak5 on the forums is foreboding. 

I've had a look through your post history and can only see one question prior to this message regarding external USB WiFi adapters, to which I have replied already. If there are other issues you're experiencing, we'd love to hear about them to see what we can do to make the experience better.

If you could explain which inconsistencies between stated procedures and reality you're seeing, it'd be helpful. Most people in my experience have no issue with following the videos provided and find them useful.

7 hours ago, Phuture said:

Cant figure out how to delete the improperly-formatted post above the prior properly-formatted post - another bug, I'm sure.

This isn't a bug at all, and is in-fact a limitation on brand new forum accounts to reduce account abuse. This limitation is usually automatically restricted after a few posts.

I didn't post more than 1 issue because my issues are identical to those already posted, incl. the "inconsistencies".  I haven't seen any helpful replies as of yesterday for most of those in-common issues.

Okay - the main purpose of that post re: inability to delete posts was to ensure that it wasn't on me for dual-posting.

My issues are:

1. Lack of modules support. Hopefully there will be more modules available later. Why is it that the latest pineapple has the fewest functions?

2. Quality issues. It dies and loses connection. Frezes. Scanning in probe mode gives various result each time. First time setup has some issues but was overcomed by tring multiple times.

3. Bulky and ugly design. I understand why they also sell the module kit.

4. Better security by users overall. VPN, Https makes the use case for the WiFi pineapple in today's world lower. Nothing hak5 can do about it. Maybe just take credit for making the world a better place by lifting the issues 

I personally look forward to the next software update. A release plan could save me some time not refreshing several times a day.

6 hours ago, NoobDad said:

My issues are:

1. Lack of modules support. Hopefully there will be more modules available later. Why is it that the latest pineapple has the fewest functions?

Modules are community developed. Due to the changes in architecture from the previous generation to current, they are incompatible.

2. Quality issues. It dies and loses connection. Frezes. Scanning in probe mode gives various result each time. First time setup has some issues but was overcomed by tring multiple times.

I'm not sure what "scanning in probe mode" is referring to here. If you could explain in more detail the setup issues you experienced or what actions you were performing when you lose connection, I'd be happy to look into those.

3. Bulky and ugly design. I understand why they also sell the module kit.

What would you rather it look like?

4. Better security by users overall. VPN, Https makes the use case for the WiFi pineapple in today's world lower. Nothing hak5 can do about it. Maybe just take credit for making the world a better place by lifting the issues

I don't entirely agree with this - while end user security has moved forward (which I'm happy about!), The Pineapple still serves its purpose as a means to test different aspects of wireless and client security on an engagement.

Hopefully my response answers some of your questions.

7 minutes ago, Foxtrot said:

Modules are community developed. Due to the changes in architecture from the previous generation to current, they are incompatible.

I'm not sure what "scanning in probe mode" is referring to here. If you could explain in more detail the setup issues you experienced or what actions you were performing when you lose connection, I'd be happy to look into those.

What would you rather it look like?

I don't entirely agree with this - while end user security has moved forward (which I'm happy about!), The Pineapple still serves its purpose as a means to test different aspects of wireless and client security on an engagement.

Hopefully my response answers some of your questions.

Thanks for replaying. I do my best to clarify and give some constructive feedback. Sorry for ranting in a none constructive way. 

1. I fully understand community driven modules and doing a shift in architecture is a challange. From my perspective, as a user, I am lacy. I want to do cool stuff with minimum effort. Processor speed, RAM size is not something I value. I value the end result. What makes the pineapple attractive is the software with it functions. If I buy a tetra I can do more stuff since there are more modules for it. The modules are essential. I hope the community migrate some of the more popular modules.

2.1 Setup issues. When I opened the box, connected the pineapple mark vii over wifi, went trough downloading the firmware, reboots etc there where some minor issues that hade me do the same process twice. No major issues.
2.2 "Scanning in probe mode" should have been, under "Recon > Scanning". During the scanning. The list of clients under connected to an SSID are shown then lost, then shown again. I think this might be an UX issue more then a tech issue. Showing probe request under clients mac adress (can be seen now PineAP>Logging) would help with the overall case of doing recon of the different APs and Clients. As a Noob do I care if I probe / scan continuously or just for 30 seconds? No I do not. I just want to know what happens around me when I do the recon. I can speculate that the the antenna for scanning is used for other stuff when it is not scanning. The UX dont tell me the trade off when I start a scan. One antenna is for PineAP, one connecting to internet, one for scanning and one for capture handshakes? That means something has to go since I only have one. 

2.3 Capture handshake. When selecting an SSID and the button "Capture WPA handshakes" confirmation on what channels is monitored to capture handshakes would help. If I select a different SSID under an other channel the button has changed to "Stop handshake capture" giving the impression that I already try to capture that SSID handshake even if the pineapple is not. Handshakes are lost when rebooting the pineapple. Like to keep those precious handshakes.  
2.4. Connection issues when connecting over Client WIFI. Has been discussed on the forum in other threads. In my case it could be because of overheating. I put the pineapple in my backpack and no ventilation. An error message when I turn it in on saying "Shutdown due to overheating" would have been nice.

3.  This has no significance but some of my thoughts on the design. The nano looks cool. Small and sleak. The tetra is mirrored with two antennas on each side. Having all antennas on one side like the module kit looks better and gives it less of a bulky feeling. What I did what making a sticker saying what antennas was where. Wlan0, wlan1, wlan2 etc. I suggest more LEDs and symmetry. When scanning, the LEDs go back and forward as night rider. Finding a handshake or getting a client connected to it something lights up. 

4. If I tell my boss,  Look did a man in the middle attack on you. Your traffic now goes through a pineapple, when the traffic was unencrypted it was a bigger issue. I want with minium effort and knowledge demonstrate for a layman in layman terms what the damage is that I can do. That is why I bought the pineapple. 

I hope this was constructive feedback. English is not my first language. If clarification is needed, let me know. 

• 9 months later...

Archived