Sharing an internet connection / connect using usb ethernet device

insecureabnormality

hi thanks for the reply.  i think i was overthinking this.   the mk7 just needs to recognize the ethernet adapter (usb-c) out of the box, and it sounds like it does that easily, as per the RTL8152 out of the box driver needed for the adapter i found on amazon.  the other end (rj45) is then connected to linux router, but im pretty sure that driver support is pretty robust.  i guess i was looking for a list of make/models that are proven working on the wrt/usb-c end, but as vendors change chipsets all the time, even with same make / model, i get that is hard.

in the past, running speed test thru the pineapple m5, from one radio thru the other, gives me better speed than from one radio thru the rj45 port.   this was a while ago, and dont have exact deets, but i seem to remember maxing out at 18mbps when going thru from one radio to ethernet linux box on other end. (which would make sense as 100mpbs with "fast ethernet" is "theoretical", and reality is ~1/4th?).

on mk5, with two radios, on diff ssid's, and both are pulling down lots of stuff, and both masquarade thru ethernet, i noticied a slowdown, compared to if just one radio is actively pulling..... meaning the bottleneck is ethernet?  could it be the kernel masq'ing iptables routing be a bottleneck?  are there any tweeks i can do on wrt to improve?

i am sure the mk7, with three radios, and 1gps usc adaptor, will not have this bottleneck issue (ordered both yesterday).  also, i seem to remember other people saying the 100mbps ethernet interface is bottleneck on the mk5, so i guess there may be more anecdotal evidence on internet if needed.

On 7/8/2021 at 1:35 PM, nando said:

"the mk7 just needs to recognize the ethernet adapter (usb-c) out of the box, and it sounds like it does that easily, as per the RTL8152 out of the box driver needed for the adapter i found on amazon.  the other end (rj45) is then connected to linux router, but im pretty sure that driver support is pretty robust. "

What you seem to describe is this (?): you connect the MK7 with is USB-C (power) port to a a Linux router using a USB-C to 'USB-C ' or 'USB A 3.x' cable. If so than that router needs to support 'ICS' and the NIC inside the MK7 in order to provide the MK7 with an internet connection.

I've only connected using ICS when using a 'cough-ndows-cough' laptop not a Linux device up until now. I have successfully tried to connect a USB Ethernet (was once an accessory for a Lenovo laptop) to the 'USB 2.0' port on the MK7 to get the internet connection, but that is not usb-c.

Archived